It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The taxation of Tobacco.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Alright, probably been brought up before, but I'll reiterate.

So let me get this straight, the government makes money off me for me killing myself?

Em, yeah......

I think maybe that is one of the most retarded taxes yet.

I guess you could say, well they're taxing you to supply medical insurance funds for when you have emphysema or lung cancer, however that's irrelevant. That's why american citizens pay WORK tax, so that they can fund their countries citizens.

Beer's marketable, because it doesn't necessarily kill you and it's privately *manufactured*.

Marlboro = dried tobacco and a bunch of chemicals.

Blah.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Would be a damn nice time to quit, while lawmakers watch the debt and start eyeing smokers to make to pay up more of it.

Here in Oregon, it just went up 65cents/pack on monday... expected to go up more April 1st.
I swear I am on my last pack, bought before the monday tax increase...

I wish them luck finding another group of people so easy to take advantage of. Seriously, you can only push someone so far.

[edit on 12-3-2009 by LostNemesis]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Tobacco and alcohol, tax it like crazy for all I care. I do drink(I don't smoke) but, it is not a necessity and both are huge revenue makers.

You don't want to pay the taxes on those things, don't buy them. In TN we are taxed the regular rate on food, which, is something that I don't agree with nearly as much.

Its like lottery tickets, waste of money 99.9% of the time. If you choose to waste money on cigarettes and drinking, that is a choice. Not a need. I have a fully stocked liquor cabinet and Sam Adams light in my frig. I could go for Pabst blue ribbon, but I choose the better tasting more expensive stuff.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
At a reservation I buy tobacco by the pound for about 13 dollars will be raised an additional 26 dollars the first of April in my back-stabbing-tax-hoarding state.
Quite a nasty move IMHO

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I'm still trying to quit, but even though I haven't yet, I'm smoking about 65 to 75% less. If you can't stop, at least do less of it. Let em tax that and just keep trying until you finally quit.

Even though I haven't quit, I've just told myself there's certain places I won't smoke anymore. Work, inside my house or others, out at public or while driving. If the cravings beat me I just refuse to smoke anywhere other than outside downstairs in the cold where I have to put my shoes on and junk. That brought the cig count down real quick.

[edit on 12-3-2009 by tinfoilman]

[edit on 12-3-2009 by tinfoilman]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
It is not, per say, "The taxation of Tobacco."

It is mainly the taxation of "Manufactured" tobacco products. Bulk tobacco, is cheaper, or you could even grow your own, that should be tax free in most states.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Taxing cigarettes I feel is putting a burden on a certain type of person to be shared by all. Granted smoking may not be good for your own personal health, but that's somebody"s personal choice.
Before you start saying that others are affected by me smoking, how about all the chemicals in a smog ridden city? It's your choice to live there correct? I say lets tax all the city dwellers for the benifit of us country folks.
Better yet, lets tax the hell out of junk food. It's clear to everybody that junk food isn't good for you. Being around some kid hyped up on sugar intake or some pimple-faced grossly overweight person is terrible on my mental well being.
See? Just thinking about it changes your thinking ability. I say tax them too!

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Yeah but there is a tax on the PACK, not the manufacturer, there for it isn't a manufacturer tax.

I agree 100% with a manufacturer tax, tax them for killing people and making people use more state medical insurance, however federally and state taxing the PACK is a crock.

Btw I live in Oregon also, so I feel your pain guy XD

I smoke a pack every 3 days, so I'm not spending profuse amounts of money on them.

Still ridiculous they can tax death.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
Alright, probably been brought up before, but I'll reiterate.

So let me get this straight, the government makes money off me for me killing myself?

Yes, and then they make money off of your estate in the form of estate taxes. Great scam isn't it?

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
All the taxes on tobacco are in place to force you to buy the pharmaceutical companies' smoking cessation aids. The have lobbyists in DC and more than likely a few politicians in their collective pocket who see that all this crap gets passed. This tax is probably just one of the agreements obama/soetoro/whatever-he-calls-himself made with the companies in order to get them to agree to his universal health care scam.

TheAssociate

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
What to do…
1.Risk buying “duty free online” some sites are pure scams, also I had a friend who was caught in the U.K; they just told customs that they believed the website when it said it was “perfectly legal”. Customs really can’t be bothered with personal use, so she was only given a warning.
2.Smuggle your own cigarettes (and pay for the holiday by bringing back a few extra for your mates)
Here is a list of U.S. tobacco taxes by state
www.taxadmin.org...
And for the geographically challenged here is a map
www.ncsl.org...

Just check with your state how much you can bring back for “personal use

For me this was by far the best solution. In the U.K you can go to Europe and bring back as much as you want from the (non-new EU states) providing you can physically carry it (and bring yourself to say “personal use” with a straight face).

P.S It’s best to bring back no more than two brands (it’s a gift to X with no payment of any kind involved).

3.As RINGO said; grow your own tobacco; it’s a bit of work, there’s a lot of tar, but at least you don’t get those bleach chemicals-poisons the tobacco manufactures irresponsibly add (that said if you want organic tobacco find a brand like American Spirit, or Log Cabin if you can).

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
in this video interview
VACCINE AUTISM COVERUP

Tabacco law is also mentioned.

watch this and, although the autism is a real conspiracy issue, you will also get the jest of how they use tabacco as a scapegoat for their, (political) agenda.

Both topics are worthy of noting, but I am linking it here, because tobacco taxing, as well as safe inoculations is total B.S. and nothing anyone can document can prove otherwise.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I understand the tax on tobacco but I don't agree with it. I also understand that smokers are in the minority and when you live in a Democracy where majority rules, the minority can get stepped on a bit. So I accept that I have to go outside to smoke a cigarette with all of the others who are being discriminated against! I also understand that cigarette smoke poses a health risk to the citizens i interact with in public, so there maybe should be some laws in place to protect public environments.

The sad truth is that if people stopped smoking, healthcare costs would go down. But they should also tax processed food then because it's not mandatory to eat that crap, it's a choice like my smoking is. AND it's just as bad for you if not worse.

top topics

join