It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bread Lines Seen in California

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Bread Lines Seen in California

www.myfoxatlanta.com

Many say a depression doesn't have to be great, that the economy can sink into a milder depression. The Salvation Army says it's happening now, and in San Diego County, people are standing in line outside a Salvation Army waiting for donated bread.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The sad thing, this is just the beginning! It is disgusting to see the systematic disinegration of the middle class, and the PTB are not finished yet!

To have bread lines starting. They were around during the 30's depression. I hate to say it, but we and the media need to acknowledge we are in a depression now, it is not just a recession anymore. The govt. did not acknowledge a recession until a year after it had begun. When will they acknowledge we are in a depression?

Salvation Army director of communications Suzi Woodruff Lacey said they are seeing people from all walks of life: "white collar, blue collar, people who have lost their jobs, people who are in danger of losing their homes."

Bread lines were regularly seen in the 1930s during the Great Depression, when unemployment peaked at more than 25 percent and the stock market lost 90 percent of its value. Today, California's unemployment rate hit 8.4 percent.

The other thing, is the govt. does not say what the "real" unemployment numbers are...... they will drop off the people on the rolls that have "given up" on finding a job. The fact is, we are in double digit unemployment numbers now.

We went from being the "wealthest" country, and we have entered a time where the govt. has squandered away the wealth and have put us in Bread Lines.

My heart goes out to those people and actually to all the people of the Earth right now.

www.myfoxatlanta.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
c'mon...60 - 80 people standing in line....probably waiting for the place to open........did you see the comparison between the real depression and this.....there were lots more than 60 - 80 people standing in line then...........

bread lines.......

eh?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by prjct

Well factor in that there is still lots to come and the economy is going to get worse before it gets better, then you can start to see the bigger picture.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I have to very much agree with you my dear. It is very sad that we have to ammount to bread lines especially in one of the "supposed" richest states in the US.

Also the governments down play of the unemployment is very sickening. They need to acknowledge these things. It is no longer time to lie to your population, we are getting un-easy, very un-easy and if things don't change soon people won't be lining up for bread, they will be shooting for bread.

Soon people from all over will be marching to Washington, to camp out on the steps of Congress and the White House alike. Voicing their opinions of what is wrong and what they need to do to provide relief.

The sad thing is, I don't think there is anything they can do at the moment to really ease the problems we are faced with. THe system is forever damaged and corrupt. So much so that the only real answer is to remove it and replace it with a better working and more open economy.

However this will require a complete collapse of the other, which would mean about a decade of Great Depression living.

I am not one to pray very often, but during these times I pray to whomever is in real control here to stop this nonsense and help our fellow man in these times of great distress.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall

To have bread lines starting. They were around during the 30's depression. I hate to say it, but we and the media need to acknowledge we are in a depression now, it is not just a recession anymore. The govt. did not acknowledge a recession until a year after it had begun. When will they acknowledge we are in a depression?

The one thing I noticed about the article is that it seems to lack some information. They did not mention how many people before these difficult times used to receive handouts, they only mention that they are seeing a wider cross section of people. I have lived in a few different states this past year, and one thing I have noticed is that local news reports have been pointing out that food banks have either run out of food, or the supplies are very low.

I have added a few extra items this past year when I have seen donation boxes, which seemed to be very low this past holiday season especially, when food drives should be at their height.

I hope these people got something more than bread, hopefully a few cans of soup or something to go with it.

edit for typo

[edit on 7-3-2009 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

yes your right, especially in small towns or in poor urban areas, we've seen a very big decrease in the ammount of aid available at soup kitchens and food banks alike.

There are two reason I believe. More and more people are in need of these services and the ones that don't can't really afford to contribute anymore as they are only one paycheck away from bankrupcy all of the time.

Being a business owner over the years we've seen significant drops in my community to help our these people. I have recently opened a program in conjuction with local authorities to have my employees donate 1% of their gross monthly income to food banks and other charitable organizations if they so choose to.

We have seen very good results. We've been able to raise over 10k this year alone so far.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
But these are probably the same 60 people who wanted free bread 5 years ago.
Some of them probably own 3 houses, and want free bread.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

I highly doubt that considering the state that California is in these past few months. Broke, no governmental help of any kind. Let along income tax returns.

They were even planning on stopping water supply to local farms in the state, now you hafta be really poor for that to happen.

And then again, 60 people at a lineup for free bread is alot of people statistically speaking. They would usually not need a line as these things would be available in large quantities for people who were in need.

Now with the dwindling supply, just the need of "lining up" speaks to the general problem we are facing.

It's more about the principle than the actual situation.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
So this proves what? There is a shelter not more than 2 miles from my house that has been there for in excess of 15 years. The lines on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday morning are in the 100-200 range at 7 am. Mostly seniors. I have gone down there myself a couple times to help out when it became necessary. this isn't a sign of the times, it is a sign of lazy and BIASED reporting. There IS a depression but tripe like this irritates me, California is, and has been for a while a true welfare state, so let's all get shocked that 70 seniors lined up outside of a SalArm.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

There really isn't much I can say to your comment.......

To stand in line for a loaf of bread........... does that sound like fun to you?

Look up, how many MORE people now, have gotten on food stamps since the beginning of the year.... how many more, soup kitchens are serving..... including our homeless troops.............. how many more don't have the basic neccessities to life anymore.

The humilation of standing in line for a loaf of bread must be great, but their NEED for it is GREATER!

To Not feel something for those people...................... well........ there is nothing I can say to anyone, who does not acknowledge the sorrow that this is happening to them and to our country.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Like the lady at the end of the news clip says, we are in no way as bad off as in the first great depression. (Not yet)

I know many people that if they saw advertized in the paper that they could get free day old bread, they would go to get some, heck anyone with half a brain would go get some.

I think it is a good thing, and not as new or uncommon as you might think.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
This is not the sign to be watching for.

When you start seeing reports of sporadic looting of food storage warehouses and grocery stores then you had better get ready because total urban chaos is on the way.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Unfortuanley that has been going on for years, it is called shoplifting and breaking and entering.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Things are rough all over, the signs are EVERYWHERE if you actually take the time to look for them. There are reports all over the country, with greater numbers standing in lines for food...not to mention the incredible increase in poor people standing in line just this past x-mas for gifts to hand out to their children. People as real as you and me are hurting badly, and if you think that this is just a slump....well, I applaud your ignorance of the economic hardship at hand, and this is only the beginning.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

The other thing, is the govt. does not say what the "real" unemployment numbers are...... they will drop off the people on the rolls that have "given up" on finding a job. The fact is, we are in double digit unemployment numbers now.

We went from being the "wealthest" country, and we have entered a time where the govt. has squandered away the wealth and have put us in Bread Lines.

My heart goes out to those people and actually to all the people of the Earth right now.

Yea... I understand this is a conspiracy forum, but do you have any proof that the government is withholding the "real" unemployment numbers and they're feeding us fake ones?

And what do you mean we went from being the wealthiest? We still are. We are in serious economic trouble, compared to what we were at, but we are still the wealthiest country, by a hefty margin.

2008 USA GDP - 14,330,000 (Millions of USD) Ranked 1st
2008 Japan GDP - 4,844,000 (Millions of USD) Ranked 2nd

That is quite a margin for us to fall to land in 2nd. Keep in mind your news stations need ratings.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pimpish
reply to post by prjct

Well factor in that there is still lots to come and the economy is going to get worse before it gets better, then you can start to see the bigger picture.

Well factor in that your assumptions are just that.. assumptions.

I'm already seeing the economy get better around where I live...

Oh well... some just want rainy days...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

I'm taking about groups of people gathering, breaking in, taking FOOD. not shop lifting.

It is not that far off at the current rate of decline.

When the states are totally broke because of the lack of revenue, when the system breaks down and is no longer able to help the needy, people will take the next step.. They will gather and take what they need to survive. That will be the final warning, civility will vanish.

people think it is bad now in many places, but you haven't seen bad YET.

Pray you don't.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I dont in no way think your Op wasn't informative, But I think this is a case of a Reporter looking for the big STORY to compare to the 30's depression, these lines are in no way close to that , not yet anyway

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

The humilation of standing in line for a loaf of bread must be great, but their NEED for it is GREATER!

To Not feel something for those people...................... well........ there is nothing I can say to anyone, who does not acknowledge the sorrow that this is happening to them and to our country.

It is not so humiliating, I have gone to food banks before, and really it is not that bad. (I have not in years, but would if I had to again) I have to be honest most of the people I knew when I did go there, were way better off than me, just hip to the system and knew when to be there.

I have applied for energy assistance many times in the past 8 years, and you know what? I am never there at the right time, the welfare parasites always know when the funds are in and bleed them dry before anyone else can have access. How do I know? I have ex in laws that take huge advantage of the world in general and they are the types that get in on all the help, then they spend the money they could have spent on their bills and go for a walmart shopping spree. I could tell you alot more, but I am not in the mood.

I urge you to go volunteer at your local food bank, and if they wont let you volunteer, just sit outside and watch.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join