It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Curse of Philip Klass

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Philip Klass left a curse in his Will that was aimed at Ufologists. The Curse is very confident in it's prediction and possibly dogmatic. I'm curious that a man with such a scientific pedigree is drawn to predicting the events of the next several decades. Why would he write this?

THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF PHILIP J. KLASS
To ufologists who publicly criticize me, ... or who even think unkind thoughts about me in private, I do hereby leave and bequeath:

THE UFO CURSE:
No matter how long you live, you will never know any more about UFOs than you know today. You will never know any more about what UFOs really are, or where they come from. You will never know any more about what the U.S. Government really knows about UFOs than you know today. As you lie on your own death-bed you will be as mystified about UFOs as you are today. And you will remember this curse.

A lot of ATS members already know a lot about Philip Klass, but for those that don’t I’ll provide a few basics to set his curse in context.

Klass worked for General Electrics as an aviation engineer for ten years before joining Aviation Week and Space Technology (later name). He was a senior editor for over 30 years. He was awarded within the industry for his technical writing and became a fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. He probably had a fair idea of what was going on in aviation and space technology.

He was a founding member of Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal (CSICOP) which is now known as CSI.

The Committee for Skeptical Inquiry encourages the critical investigation of paranormal and fringe-science claims from a responsible, scientific point of view and disseminates factual information about the results of such inquiries to the scientific community and the public.
CSICOP

The site is an excellent source for information about popular internet claims of an extraordinary nature. It’s loved by skeptics and detested by fans of Moon hoaxes and the fanatical UFO believers.

Klass spent many years explaining UFO sightings as being hoaxes or misinterpretations of natural phenomena like Venus, lightning and aircraft landing lights. He was often accused of attacking the witnesses rather than evidence and several felt harassed by character assassination. An example of his 'behind the scenes' methodology can be seen in this letter to the National Research Council, Canada regarding Stanton Friedman. Conversely, to many he was a sensible character pouring water on the flames of UFO hysteria and the growing industry that was thought to be exploiting people’s gullibility.

He famously offered Stanton Friedman £100 for each piece of evidence that indicated that some of the MJ-12 documents weren’t faked. He paid Stan $1000. Less well known is that in 1966, Klass did a Randi-style challenge...

Under the terms of this contract, I agree to pay the other person $10,000 if/when any hard, incontrovertible evidence is found which shows that the Earth has been visited by one (or more) ET craft. (The other party does not need to find the evidence.) The other party agrees to pay me $100 per year until such evidence is found, but with a limit/maximum of 10 years of payments. Thus, the maximum the other party risks is $1,000.
Skeptic Files

One would need to be a fool to take up this offer and surprise, surprise there was only one fool that did accept it.

I'm fairly skeptical about UFOlogy, but not to the degree of Klass. There was and is circumstantial evidence of UFOs recorded on official documents going back decades. Where did he gain his absolute certainty from? Was he the equivalent to the debunkers recommended by the Robertson Panel? Was he simply right? Did he know more about UFO sightings than he would admit? Maybe the Klass Curse was simply Klass having the last word

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Sounds like a trap, similar to the James Randi one.

When you prove your claim two men in black enter the room and ask you to come with them to claim your prize.

[edit on 7/3/2009 by northerngate]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
In a way, Klass was and remains right. We are no closer to the truth today than we were when Kenneth Arnold had his sighting 60 years ago.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
One thing i can certainly say is that we have come long way since then and that his allegations have allready been rendered FALSE!

We know much more on the matter at presend + we have all (well most) documentation of the past.

Peace !

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

I think he's wrong today because there's the presumption that all UFOs are inherently unknowable. Which I don't think is the case. The following thread is a good example:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

We don't know exactly what it is, but we've got a good candidate(s). QED we know more about a UFO than before that thread.

Heh. Caveat time: I'm being disingenuous a little - he's not wrong - because back then 'UFO' was equivalent with 'extraterrestrial UFO'.

I think things have moved on. I don't think UFOlogy is equivalent with belief in extraterrestrial visitation. Although, it mostly is

[edit on 7-3-2009 by jackphotohobby]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Interesting, Kandinsky (a favorite artist, too!). To paraphrase, I agree with your question: where does the certainty come from?

I only learned of him (Phillip Klaas) last night when looking for more info on Travis Walton.

Since our current understanding of physics can't dismiss out of hand the possibility of using Einstein-Rosen bridges (or the term coined by John Archibald Wheeler ,"wormholes") to travel vast distances (or times?) via these shortcuts I think it's premature to rely on a fixed position one way or the other. It will take much scientific evidence to convince me. 'Til then the logical approach is to keep an open mind.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by elfie
Since our current understanding of physics can't dismiss out of hand the possibility of using Einstein-Rosen bridges (or the term coined by John Archibald Wheeler ,"wormholes") to travel vast distances (or times?) via these shortcuts I think it's premature to rely on a fixed position one way or the other. It will take much scientific evidence to convince me. 'Til then the logical approach is to keep an open mind.

Keeping an open mind is the only logical position on this subject. I agree entirely
Dogmatism is intellectual death.

The certainty of his curse, the unlikeliness of a scientist even writing a curse is open to speculation. His curse has intrigued me for some time.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Poor guy. On a personal level I´ve discovered and learned much more about UFOs and extraterrestrials than I could have ever hoped for and continue to do so.

Of course, on a humanity-level progress is slower and could take many hundreds of years.

People like Klass are wasting their time. Its much more fun and fulfilling to discover new angles, results of new research and experience some of what others only read about in books.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Poor guy. On a personal level I´ve discovered and learned much more about UFOs and extraterrestrials than I could have ever hoped for and continue to do so.

Of course, on a humanity-level progress is slower and could take many hundreds of years.

People like Klass are wasting their time. Its much more fun and fulfilling to discover new angles, results of new research and experience some of what others only read about in books.

Hi Skyfloating, I dont mean to sound disrespectful, but the idea that you have learned more about UFOs I can understand because UFOs do exist as in Unidentified Flying Object.

But learning more about extraterrestrials, is pretty impossible because we dont have any proof that they exist YET. So How can one learn more about somthing that at this time is only speculation?
And yes I personally do believe they exist, but there still hasn`t been any proof. Lots of evidence yes, proof no.

As far as Klass is concerned, his curse is actually a no brainer and im sure he ment it in a humourous way.
Based on UFOlogy`s track record, that was an easy prediction.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I'm surprised K, you're more of a skeptic, but you didn't use UFOWatchdog?

Here's what UFOWatchdog have to say about Phill Klass in their 'hall of shame';

UFO debunker/aviation nerd. Is somehow able to explain all UFO sightings. CSICOP member, toilet seat thinker, general pain to UFOlogy. Needs more fiber in his diet...an anal probe from the aliens wouldn't hurt either. Good old Phil decided to attend a UFO symposium and fell asleep during presentations and was reported to be spending more time outside sucking down cigarettes than inside listening to what was being said. This must be how he conducts all of his investigations...Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z ZZZZ. So much for paying attention.

Hall1

If I'm not mistaken, I read somewhere that he studied in one or the same university(s) that Stanton Friedman did, weren't they classmates?

Anyways, I agree with Skyfloating, there's a helluva lot more info about UFOs out there now, than there was in Klass' day and age.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Kandinsky: Thanks for your "paean" to Philip J. Klass. He was, sort-of, my UFO hero. While he may have gotten on a lot of people's bad sides, most of them deserved it for they were gullible fools. Even though I'm a natural skeptic I learned a lot from him as far as thinking outside the box and sticking to facts, regardless of where they led. In the 1980s he and I established a communication that lasted until his death. I enjoyed hearing from him.

I also agree with his letter's contents about Friedman for I am one of the loudest critics of Friedman's line of B.S.

I am a skeptic, yes, but I am an open-minded skeptic and accept the reality of UFOs having had 6 solid sightings and videotaping one. People such as Klass who are die-hard skeptics are operating naturally for only the gullible accept claims without evidence. Klass didn't experience any sightings of real UFOs for if he had seen something that he couldn't explain, especially if it was during daylight and close enough to make out details, he would have then stopped being a skeptic and become an experiencer. Unfortunately, he never did, but I did!

Long live Philip J. Klass!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnjohn808

But learning more about extraterrestrials, is pretty impossible because we dont have any proof that they exist YET. So How can one learn more about somthing that at this time is only speculation?
And yes I personally do believe they exist, but there still hasn`t been any proof. Lots of evidence yes, proof no.

"We"? Dont assume that everyone else on earth has the same experiences you do.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

"We"? Dont assume that everyone else on earth has the same experiences you do.

Im sorry, but for now, it`s still speculation.
Experiences can`t be proven to anyone outside of the experiencer unless there is evidence that can be examined and converted to proof.

I know people say I know what I saw with my own eyes.
I`ve seen things in the sky that I couldn`t explain.
Was it extraterrestrial in origin? Who knows. Thats the point. Who knows?

So far there has not been any evidence that has been converted to proof yet that has been shared with the public. Thats why it can only be speculated on for now.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

that has been shared with the public.

Because the mass-consensus is that there is no physical proof, that means there is none?

Most of the things the mass-consensus has believed throughout history have proven terribly wrong. As will this "there is no proof of extraterrestrials" nonsense posted here a few hundred times a day.

There is genetic proof, ancient artifact proof, photographic proof, radar proof, video proof, material proof....in the many thousands. And Billions of people who dont care to look into it.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

that has been shared with the public.

Because the mass-consensus is that there is no physical proof, that means there is none?

Most of the things the mass-consensus has believed throughout history have proven terribly wrong. As will this "there is no proof of extraterrestrials" nonsense posted here a few hundred times a day.

There is genetic proof, ancient artifact proof, photographic proof, radar proof, video proof, material proof....in the many thousands. And Billions of people who dont care to look into it.

Hi while I do respect your opinions, I have to say that the things you offered up as proof is still just classified as evidence. None of it has been converted to undeniable proof.

My disagreement is not with the topic of UFO. They exist. It`s more with the proof of extraterrestrial life. I believe they exist too, but i would like proof.
We have enough evidence. It just needs to be converted to proof using science and logic. Not one or the other, but both.

By stating that "Because the mass-consensus is that there is no physical proof, that means there is none?", that just refers to the "you cant prove a negative" thing.

Because the mass-consensus is that there is no physical proof, therefore it must exist, still doesn`t prove that there is any. I say that the evidence "could and may" exist.

You are right. All of that evidence must be looked into.
All evidence must be scrutinized under a microscope with a fine tooth comb to weed out hoaxes, natural occurances etc.
But until they are, and one is deemed as undeniable proof, it`s still just speculation.

I believe the answer will come, but due to the current state of UFOlogy, i dont think it will come in my lifetime, unless a craft crashes in someplace like Central park and an extraterrestrial being crawls out.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

I know that I'm no closer to the truth after studying this subject for many years now. I've seen allot of film and read allot of what is supposedly truth and maybe the stories are true the fact is I don't know. There's allot of theories out there and plenty of videos and I've seen and read most so far. There's a plethora of what's supposedly true out there. But I still don't feel closer to any truth. I believe there's allot of things flying around out there E.T and Terran that much i know to be true. But the theories and stories... whats real and what's not? I can take my pick I guess.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Thanks for the interesting replies, it was a slow starting thread
One or two posters seem to have misinterpreted the question. This is probably my fault as I tried very hard to be as balanced and neutral about Klass as possible. I avoid trying to lead people to conclusions that suit me.

I'll try and be clearer. Klass died in 2005. In the course of his lifetime he was increasingly focused on UFOs and, one could argue, it became his life's work to explain and/or debunk incidents and people. Given his interest, he must have been aware of the Condon Report, Project Blue Book, Project Grudge and the Robertson Panel etc. Furthermore, no scientist would be as rhetorical and arrogant to wholly rule out the possibility of finding evidence of ET in the next few decades.

'If' he was aware of such evidence of UFOs, it makes his Curse all the more interesting. In my view, it's open to two interpretations...

*He was having the last word against Ufologists

*He knew why 'disclosure' would never happen

Any ideas
Or am I missing a point here??

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

One of the best things about Mr Klass was he was needed to keep the UFO community on its toes. Someone needs to be there to constantly ask tough questions and be the total debunker. They are the ones who make us think before we reply and gather up the evidence to support what we state.

I will say that his curse seems to be childish and vindictive, but I guess many UFO researchers were not nice to him, so why would he be nice to them.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Like kidflash and learhoag, I think Klass filled a role. However what Klass did to Dr. James McDonald was unacceptable and despicable.

Klass and McDonald afterwards engaged in a bitter, months-long debate, leveling a variety of charges and accusations at one another. Eventually, Klass wrote to McDonald's superiors at the U.S. Navy (McDonald was formally retired from the Navy, but often worked with the Office of Naval Research), suggesting that McDonald's security clearance be revoked or reconsidered, and he also wrote to McDonald's supervisors at the University of Arizona to argue that McDonald's academic tenure should be questioned. Even some of Klass's most ardent supporters expressed disapproval of his actions in regards to McDonald. (source)

Even people close to Klass speak poorly of him (if anyone cares I can dig up a CSICOP source attesting to Klass's petty nature).

Honestly I don't know whether to despise the man or pity him.

So to answer why he'd write,

THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF PHILIP J. KLASS
To ufologists who publicly criticize me, ... or who even think unkind thoughts about me in private, I do hereby leave and bequeath:

THE UFO CURSE:
No matter how long you live, you will never know any more about UFOs than you know today. You will never know any more about what UFOs really are, or where they come from. You will never know any more about what the U.S. Government really knows about UFOs than you know today. As you lie on your own death-bed you will be as mystified about UFOs as you are today. And you will remember this curse.

Simple. He was a bitter, vengeful person.

If you want to read in to it, it's possible through his government contacts he was given enough information to lead him to believe UFOs were used as a cover for USAF projects (hide-it-behind-the-UFO theory). So he may have concluded to protect that cover, and the projects hidden behind it, the AFOSI knowingly misinformed and promoted public disinformation (counter Intelligence theory).

My evidence of this? The mental destruction of Paul Bennewitz and the fact that USAF outright misled the public about UFOs.

[edit on 26-3-2009 by Xtraeme]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtraeme

i have to agree with u there.

theres still the deal with friedman.. i dont recall how many mj12 papers there were but at least 10 were proven..

by the way.. love you'r avitar.. it rocks

top topics

join