It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The largest untapped oil reserve in the world is more than 2 TRILLION barrels.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

The largest untapped oil reserve in the world is more than 2 TRILLION barrels.

www.usgs.gov

The U. S. Geological Service issued a report in April ('08) that only scientists and oil men knew was coming, but man was it big. It was a revised report (hadn't been updated since '95) on how much oil was in this area of the western 2/3 of North Dakota ; western South Dakota ; and extreme eastern Montana ..... check THIS out:

The Bakken is the largest domestic oil discovery since Alaska 's Prudhoe Bay , and has the potential to eliminate all American dependence on foreign oil.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: To Remove In Excess Of 500 Characters Of External Sourcing. Please Review The Following Link:

*Revised* - Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

[edit on Fri, 06 Mar 2009 21:05:08 -0600 by MemoryShock]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Now I just wonder what would happen in this country if every one of you sent this to every one in your address book.

GOOGLE it or follow this link. It will blow your mind. I made a video on You Tube I hope you guy's and gals like it, please you can text your comments and rated as well it will be appreciated. thanks.

Let the world know ---> www.youtube.com...

www.usgs.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
The fact that petrol is poisonous would make me more interested in the energy from the plenum methods that Gary McKinnon saw evidence of when he hacked the Black Ops computers.

So though there's all this oil, we really don't need it if we use the tech that exists on this planet.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I'm assuming that you are referring to shale oil?

Global technically-recoverable reserves have recently been estimated at about 2.8-3.3 trillion barrels of shale oil, with the largest reserves in the United States, which is thought to have 1.5-2.6 trillion barrels.

Oil shale production is expensive, net energy loser, wasteful and environmentally hazardous. It is only now, when conventional oil prices are high, that oil shale production has come to the discussion table. It will no doubt make an insignificant contribution to the oil shortfall in the future but it is no panacea.

www.theviewfromthepeak.net...

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I am sending this to everyone in my address book, per your suggestion. I am going to add, however, that everyone who receives this forwards it on to their Senator or Representative, with a demand to tell the environmentalists where to go and what to do when they get there. This is a "Drill here, Drill now!" proposal.
Don't have to worry about the polar bears, don't have to worry about the water, don't have to worry about the fish. JUST PUT THE HOLE IN THE GROUND>

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by StonyJ

You assume that it is shale oil? If you don't know how assume breaks down, then I'm not going to take time to tell you. Until this country develops alternative forms of energy, (and I don't mean ethanol. You don't burn your food supply) then we must go after every oil reserve there is.
There are oil reserves in the Gulf, in ANWR, and off the coast of California. Problem? The tree huggers won't let us go after it! I'm sorry, but the life of my family is just a wee bit more important than that of a fish, or marsh mouse, or a snail darter.
If, as liberals propose, life is based on evolution, and evolution is based on survival of the fittest, then mankind wins, hands down.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Double post

[edit on 3/6/09 by StonyJ]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Believe me...you and I are on the same page. I've known about the shale reserves for 5 years, something the MSM never reports. When oil was at $147 @barrel, it was not worth exploring due to the cost. At

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I think we should tell the rest of the world what to do with themselves, drill, and use the oil to pull us out of this mess. That alone won't do it, but it is, at least, a start.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Drill it and drill it now.

Solar and Wind is not a sustainable source of energy, neither is biofuels. We need to drill it and build nuclear power plants.

That is the only solution, for the time being, to be completely energy independent. Just look at the numbers. Numbers don't lie.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

That's probably one of the stupid things I've read on ATS. It's been a while, but I think it's safe to say you've won some sort of award. Hopefully it will be a Darwin award.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Hey kids,
I don't mean to be an a@# but I read the op's article and I do believe the amount of recoverable oil is 2-4.3 B- illion barrels.Trillion's is SO much more than that.
STH

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
If I did something wrong please accept my opologies I'm kined of new on this site need help to correct my error.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by BIONICLE ALEX]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by stopthathurts
Hey kids,
I don't mean to be an a@# but I read the op's article and I do believe the amount of recoverable oil is 2-4.3 B- illion barrels.Trillion's is SO much more than that.
STH

No.....TRILLION is correct.

Google "shale oil reserves"

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by StonyJ

I think we should probably use the USGS published findings of 3 Billion barrels, instead of Google.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

I think we should probably use the USGS published findings of 3 Billion barrels, instead of Google.

What about this?

Worldwide, the oil shale resource base is estimated at 2.6 trillion barrels and is located in 26 countries [3]. About 2 trillion barrels, or a little over 75% of the world’s supply, is located within the U.S.[1] The richest, most concentrated deposits in the U.S. are found in the Green River Formation in western Colorado, eastern Utah, and southern Wyoming

Source:www.instituteforenergyresearch.org...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

Comparing apples and oranges. This is the difference between looking at proven reserves and unproven reserves. Unproven doens't mean it isn't there, just that it doesn't yet fit the standard of the SEC. The difference between what has been technically recoverable, and that which is becoming technically recoverable.

The cost for originally going after these reserves is high. As the technology develops for the Bakken, the cost for retrieval will go down. Fit to purpose technology is being developed. As the technology proves out, the time to drill goes down and the process of recovery becomes routine and implements better.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
My earlier post:

"When oil was at $147 @barrel, it was not worth exploring due to the cost. At

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
Drill it and drill it now.

You don't drill shale oil, you extract it in more of an open cast mining sorta way. And it's not worth doing unless you do it on an enormus scale! Nice to know there is a little buffer zone, but yet again we really need to kick our oil habbit.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BIONICLE ALEX

Doesn't matter what kind of oil they find in our nations soil, be shale or sweet, it will take years for that oil to have an impact in our economy.

So with the financial crisis we are having right now and the possibility of prices of oil been again a pain in the butt to the American consumer by the summer it will make no difference if we have oil reserves in our soil or not.

BTW we do have oil in our nation and still makes not difference.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join