It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reports: Russia building anti-satellite weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Reports: Russia building anti-satellite weapons

news.yahoo.com

Thu Mar 5, 9:06 am ET

MOSCOW – Russia is working to develop anti-satellite weapons to match efforts by other nations, a deputy defense minister was quoted as saying Thursday.

Gen. Valentin Popovkin said Russia continues to oppose a space arms race but will respond to moves made by other countries, according to Russian news reports.

"We can't sit back and quietly watch others doing that, such work is being conducted in Russia," Popovkin was quoted as saying.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: To Remove In Excess Of The 500 Charachter Limit For Sourced Material. Please Review The Following Link.

*Revised* - Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

[edit on Fri, 06 Mar 2009 15:35:37 -0600 by MemoryShock]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
so, the 3 nations with the most powerful military has taken it upon themselves to perfect shooting down satellites. Could someone please enlighten me as to why this is so important? Is it merely a case of "monkey see, monkey do?"

If they are worried about the dangers of space junk re-entering the atmosphere, couldn't fighter planes take care of that or some other conventional arsenal already in service?

They say its a cover for missile defense systems test? I thought we had those? Patriot systems? What do we need an outer space capable one for?

Is it just me or does anyone else find this highly suspicious? Cover for missile defense systems test...yeah, riiight

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-3-2009 by reject]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
They're "putin" them up there to shoot down the aliens. Project Excalibur anyone? Also using it as en excuse to put some more of those tungsten gravity projectiles into orbit. Believe you me, NORAD can track every turd in orbit put up there since sputnick.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

As part of missile defense plans developed by the previous U.S. administration, the Pentagon worked on missiles, ground lasers and other technology to shoot down satellites.

This is wrong, not factual at all; merely the journalists own simplified, uniformed and ignorant perception. The only country currently and actively pursuing anti-satellite (and other space based) weapons is China. The US has the capability to create such weapons, however there is no active US drive (see policy) to do so. And having the potential capability to a full fledged operational system is a huge difference.

The fact that Russia may also be pursuing such weapons (while backing a band on "space weapons") is not surprising. Those people always view arms control treaties as a way to effectively limit Western capability without the need for military means. Western nations are more prone to public inquiry, international inspection and internal adherence to such treaties. Meanwhile the Russians don't really follow the same method and attitude.

For example, the US has decommissioned entire ICBMs from its inventory (our most capable, the Peacekeeper) and has reduced the active Minuteman force. We have decommissioned air launched nuclear cruise missiles and sea launch nuclear cruise missiles. There is also no current ongoing program to build new US ICBM/SLBM missiles, new nuclear cruise missiles (sea or air launch) and no concrete plans to even build new nuclear warheads.

Meanwhile Russia has been building ICBMs and SLBMs like hotcakes over the last few years, introducing FOUR new missiles, the RS-24, Topol-M, the Bulava SLBM and the Iskander TBM. Furthermore, they are also planning to build a new class of SSBNs (ballistic missile submarines , the USN has no current plans to do so. Also, each of those Russian ICBM/SLBMs has a MIRV capability from 6-10 warheads. And the Iskander is a BS adherence to the IMF treaty.

It really pisses me off when we deliberately let others reach military superiority over us, in any sector, much less in nuclear deterrence, and now apparently in the space frontier. Everyone knows whoever controls the high ground controls the battle. Space it the ultimate high ground, one simply cannot fully conduct modern combat operations without space based assets.

The US military is an information and sensor based force. We depend on technology (much of it in space) to gather intelligence, to communications and carry out devastating kinetic missions etc.... We depend on satellites more than any other military in the world. Since others cannot challenge us directly they can limit our effectiveness by taking out relatively soft targets; our space based assets. But what do I know, we're too busy handing out money to corporate America like candy while others are planning on how to neutralize our armed forces.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by WestPoint23]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23

why did the US shoot down a satellite? I don't think China has achieved superiority; I suspect Russia has some catching up to do still.

You mentioned the global financial crisis. What if this is somehow linked to an imminent impending "alien" takeover?

What if for some warped reason TPTB is keeping the world in the dark about this "alien" arrival? Is it because there's a huge segment of the population, like myself, who hopes some external force extricates us from the cesspool that our species has been in its entire existence? Is it becasuse it is divisive? Is it because TPTB doesn't want this?

I think the "aliens" are coming and TPTB knows this. TPTB has enough nukes in the US alone to make the world as barren as some space rock. TPTB has a gun to our collective heads in a threat to the "aliens" to stay away. As if that wasn't enough, TPTB is shooting down advance "alien" reconnaissance.

Have you seen that video from outer space where there was this flash then some beam or projectile went directly at this "ICE CRYSTAL" that was moving around like a fly then the "ICE CRYSTAL" took evasive maneuvers then high tailed it out of there?

You will probably say, "reject, you are far gone into the deep end!" Ok, I'd like to point out a peculiar UFO behavior. They have been reported to frequent military airspace and nuke installations. They have been reported to arm and disable our nukes. They're trying find out how to neutralize possible threats.

PEOPLE OF THE EARTH, THE "ALIENS" ARE COMING...change you can count on.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by reject]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by reject
...why did the US shoot down a satellite?

Because we were ultimately responsible for its failure and the possible consequences of it falling near populated areas. The satellite contained toxic materials and an almost full tank of highly hydrazine, since the satellite failed almost instantly after launch. It would been irresponsible to do nothing even if there was a small chance that we could successfully shoot it down before it fell to Earth. You should know however that when the order came to intercept the satellite with a modified SM-3 everyone in the industry was shocked. More than a few engineers questions whether it could be done at all with the existing technology. It took unprecedented cooperation and work between the military and the defense industry to made the necessary changes to the missile and radar for the intercept to work. Although publicly everyone expressed confidence I can tell you that there were doubts on that day.

I don't think China has achieved superiority;

China shot down a satellite at a much higher altitude, 537 miles to be exact. This is considered LEO and it is within this orbit that many of the highly senstive imaging and communication satellites reside in. In other words it is a military relevant altitude. The US on the other hand shot down USA 193 at an altitude of only 130 NM, not a military significant altitude. The Chinese also used a modified IRBM, we used a much smaller missile the SM-3 which is designed to shoot down medium range ballistic missiles only at certain states of flight. It does not have the kinematic performance to attack fast moving missiles or satellites at such high altitudes or at vast distances. While we have far better radar and seeker technology than the Chinese we don't have an active ASAT program, and that's what really matters. Still, they have a lot more work to do to seriously threaten US satellites and overcome our countermeasures, they have not yet demonstrated that they have such capability. While their satellite shoot down test was spectacular it was not all that difficult, for various reasons.

But the main difference between our shoot down and theirs was that they were specifically trying to build effective systems to attack satellites. Previous failed attempts by them prove this. Our situation was borne out of extreme necessity and we were forced to undertake a highly questionable modification in order to achieve success. You should know however that China has also developed and employed ground based lasers which it uses to try and blind, or even destroy, the optics of US spy satellites by illuminating them as they pass over.

I suspect Russia has some catching up to do still.

Russia also has the capability and experience to develop a successful anti-satellite program whether it is ground, air, or space based. However it is not clear how much of a priority they have given this task. I cannot stress how important the distinction between having an active program and having a potential capability is. Military systems and capability are not developed over night, even fore super powers there is no exception to that rule.

You mentioned the global financial crisis. What if this is somehow linked to an imminent impending "alien" takeover?

Doubt it. They have been visiting this planet for far too long to suddenly be interested in a "take over". We're the ant colony that must be fun to observe, I guess. So no, I do not thing you're way out there. While I'm still skeptical on the more fantastic stories regarding extraterrestrials (abductions, reptilians etc...) I do not doubt that some UFO cases are a legitimate phenomena and that these object cannot possible be human in nature. I know quite a few military people who swear by it and have the credentials to back up their claims. These people are not prone to hysteria, lying, naivety or hallucinations and would not stake their reputation unless they're absolutely sure about something.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by WestPoint23]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

...why did the US shoot down a satellite?

Because we were ultimately responsible for its failure and the possible consequences of it falling near populated areas. The satellite contained toxic materials and an almost full tank of highly hydrazine, since the satellite failed almost instantly after launch. It would been irresponsible to do nothing even if there was a small chance that we could successfully shoot it down before it fell to Earth.

I disagree with your reasoning here.

I believe the US shot down the satellite in order to demonstrate to the world our superiority. How many times did you hear, "from a moving ship" and see the outer space pin point explosion. They also bragged about how they didn't even need a warhead as they were capable of simply hitting the fuel tank with extreme precision.

Military Propaganda and Bragging Rights was the reason. You can believe the bull* story they fed you about consequences of it falling near some populated areas if you want but the real reason should be more obvious.

US, "We can blow your satellites out of the sky and send you back to the dark ages with the flick of our pinky. Oh and we can do it while moving up and down on waves"

WORLD, "Holy Crap, Did you see that incredible military technology!"

US, "now succumb to our Economic Hitmen or Perish"

[edit on 6-3-2009 by Wormwood Squirm]

new topics

top topics

join