It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are believers looked down upon?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

There must be adequate reason for a belief in order for it to not be looked down upon by society.
We all have theories and personal beliefs, but to state that your personal belief is fact when there is not enough data to support it, it becomes quite clear that such a belief defies evidence and is therefor illogical.
I don't think that believing in aliens is illogical, because there is evidence and reason to believe.
But if I came out and told you that I believe in pink unicorns, I'm sure you would look at me as if I were crazy.
The problem with society (as far as beliefs with evidence) is that society at large is ignorant of that evidence, and because of this they are more likely to see you as the second example I used rather than the first.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I am not a religeous person but do have an open mind, maybe god does exist maybe not, but what makes me confused is when someone laughs at my believe that aliens do exist, but they believe in god.

They say I am crazy to belive in aliens and ufos, yet they believe everything in the bible such as the talking snake, Noah and his giant ark with all those animals, a man parting the sea with his stick.

I am not knocking peoples belief in god and the bible, only those that say I am crazy because there is "no proof of aliens" they say, Well there is no proof of your god is there?, but I am not calling you crazy, so please let me have my belief without thinking I have a screw loose, and I will not think that you are likewise for believing a lot of thing that is only written on paper and not proven.

This is only aimed at those that believe in god who laugh at me when I say aliens are real, if I can keep an open mind as to a possibility of a higher being creating us, then surly you can keep an open mind as to the possibiliteis of an alien race, you have already shown me that you are not bothered about proof.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by colz2000

you hit it on the head with that comment ... why do they laugh at us when we talk about beliefs in other "things" but then sit there with a straight face and talk about religion. as if to mock me when they have as much proof at this stage of the game as I do. but soon all will be as was intended

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Sadly, most people are very image and status conscious even if they don't realize they are. People are very weak minded no matter what they might want you to believe. The moment it becomes socially acceptable they change. This video underlies a lot of the issue. bbc5.tv... and is used to explain 9/11 denial. The good news is that what is denied becomes acceptable very fast once it's "OK". This is one of the reasons real leaders die so quickly. They can be infectious, and change can happen practically over night.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Or maybe all of you are right, but NONE of you realize the REAL truth. It has been here for at least 3,500 years.

REMEMBER, I am simply stating my opinion and trying to show you that UFO enthusiasts and believers of Christ are not too far off the same block. We are ridiculed sometimes worse than believers of the UFO phenomenon. I am a firm believer in God, but I also know that aliens exist. The Bible is my ultimate proof of this. I leave you with this possible future *cough*.

Perhaps Barack Obama will be put out of office by "the ELite" and then Hilary Clintion would become President in case something also happens to Joe Biden in the next year. *cough* *cough*

Maybe sometime soon a new "World Teacher" might appear ETA now till August 2010 perhaps in a Unidentified Flying Object, except here in this case it might be identified.

Perhaps also, not saying this will happen in the next year, *cough* he will come with his "Masters of Wisdom" to teach humanity their true purpose and religion. These Masters will be in the form of what we commonly know as the Grey alien. Consider even the possibility that before all this, many many people just vanish off the face of the Earth to escape what must take place. Maybe even while under control of FEMA camps. Think about why the government is implementing one digital signal.

Soon after this event, what the media might call "The Great Disappearance," he will come here to announce on EVERY TELEVISION SET ON EARTH to explain it away as "alien abduction" from the evil one that wrote the Bible. Unfortunately the masses of the world will be so compelled by this "new world figure" that Christianity will be horribly persecuted. What better way to delude the masses to the existence of God than to arrive in a UFO? Remember the Bible also tells us, in a time when everyone thought the Earth was flat, that, "He hangs the Earth on nothing."
The same Bible that forewarns of an Apocalyptic era in which we all would be forced to choose between useless pleasures and Satan, or righteousness and truth through our Lord Jesus Christ. I could even give you his name, but that is why God gave us the wisdom to calculate his name from 666. So calculate the name of the BEAST and don't be fooled by him.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

Thanks internos but sometimes it's more then just a flashing light
Sometimes that light gets bigger and smaller
Sometimes that light changes shape and flys all over the place

Other times it looks like something I've never seen before
I will keep looking for that one story that will make the debunkers run away screaming
And when I find it I will be the first to post it here

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by reticledc

You can't go screaming from the roof of your car while it's doing 90 down the parkway, ALIENS EXIST!! I HAVE PROOF!!!

So that's why noone believes me..

Joke aside. Atleast in Norway, the media basically controls what's OK to speak and be open about, and what's not.
Recently there has been a huge amount of sightings around the world, and the media picked it up.
So pretty much everyone is discussing the phenomena here in Norway, without being looked down upon.
It's rather the people not believeing being labeled as ignorant.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by Beltha]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
Are most people so closed minded that to them humans are the only race in the universe?

Yes, because they have been programmed to be that way since birth.
The following list of course is not complete, but when you try to put everything into a list that brainwashes a person, it becomes obvious - why so many people are sheeple

- school
- university
- TV
- newspapers
- radio
- fear
- fear of ridicule
- ego
- parents
- neighbours
- friends
- boss
- colleagues
- acquaintances
- books
- church
- bible
- pastor
- doctors
- your boss
- science
- entertainment
- YourSelf
etc.

Greetings

[edit on 7-3-2009 by TheWriter]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
The reason that 'believers' are looked down upon is quite simple. For every 1 credible witness or account, there are HUNDREDS of hoaxes, mentally ill people or straight out liars.

There are people who read and believe everything they find on the internet, because they are paranoid and think they cannot trust the MSM. (Main Stream Media) Yet these people are perfectly willing to believe anything on the internet, even if what they are reading is obviously bunk and contains multiple contradictions. These people usually ignore anything that doesn't support their views, and call their obviously biased sources 'research'.

There are people who are bored with their mundane lives, so they live out their fantasies on the internet. They make outrageous claims and never back them up and then call you a disinfo agent or debunker when you call them out.

And then there are the crazy people. Even they have internet access.

That is why most people look down upon the ET/UFO believers.
Also, the people who mistakenly misuse the term UFO when talking about ETs/Aliens do not help. Sometimes a UFO is just that, an Unidentified Flying Object. Yet there are those who make every single UFO sighting out to be aliens, when sometimes it is actually something mundane.

I personally believe that in the universe there must be other life, but whether it found this one speck of dust in the vast cosmic sea is debatable.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   

I will keep looking for that one story that will make the debunkers run away screaming
And when I find it I will be the first to post it here

Out of the thousands and thousands of supposed sightings, abductions and videos e.c.t you should ask yourself why is there no solid proof (alien dna, alien materials e.c.t) yet, by now there should be loads of real proof that would make ''debunkers run away screaming'' but there is not. Why not? Statistically speaking there should already exist undeniable proof, so why isn't there any?

Let me also tell you all that it is the sceptic that is ridiculed and looked down upon on this site. The worst part is being accused of being closed minded just because the average sceptic refuses to believe just on faith alone, all a sceptic wants is some real proof, no big deal is it? Seems it is though because if you ask for proof you get the usual ''meh open your mind''

The main problem is that a lot of people 'want' to believe so badly that they become gullible, way too open to suggestion. I see it all the time on this great site, I see people posting the usual videos of blurry wobbly lights and then believers commenting on them in a manner such as this >>>>> ''wow man how can people not believe there are aliens visiting us? Let's see the debunkers get out of this one''.

I believe there is alien life in the universe, space is just too big and there are just too many planets and based upon that alone it's inconceivable that we are alone, but there is nothing to lead me to believe that aliens have visited earth although I acknowledge the possibility which is why this field interests me so much. I'm looking for proof so I can believe, I am not being stubborn just because I won't believe on faith alone.

The funny thing is that before I started looking at this site I believed in the possibility of aliens visiting us more than I do now, this is because I've seen all the weak claims from people who create ''undeniable proof'' threads that are anything but undeniable, the site has made me even more sceptical, I have seen the very best evidence available and still there is nothing to satisfy.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkwind.
Statistically speaking there should already exist undeniable proof, so why isn't there any?

You know, I'm really starting to get tired of reading that same statement over and over again.

Has it ever occurred to you, that the reason there is no 'undeniable' proof of alien existence within hands reach, because there is a cover up that's been going on for over 60 years?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

Because most "skeptics" fail to notice that they are just a "believer" of a different stripe. That, and well, humans love to feel better than those differing from themselves for some stupid reason.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

Not to mention it's pure hubris that mankind believes that he would be able to detect beyond a shadow of a doubt if aliens were here if they did not wish to be detected beyond a shadow of a doubt. Their technology would necessarily be light years beyond our own.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
For Majorian, yes it has occured to me and after much research I've realised that the ''cover up'' excuse is just that, an excuse, a cop out, a wash out and a weak arguement. My reason for saying that is that the government can only cover up so much, they cannot cover up everything. People give their governments way too much credit for intelligence.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by Hawkwind.]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawkwind.

But what if it is a case of the government not knowing WTF is going on, driven by the natural human response of fear of the unknown and the ETs themselves not wanting for whatever reason *maybe sinister maybe not* us to know?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
... oh nobody can look down upon you,
if you don't give them the power.

I have seen spirits, aliens, UFOs. Nobody can look down upon me.
And if they look down upon me, then "they are looking down from the height of ignorance"

Greetings

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWriter

The crux of the matter is *to play devil's advocate* can you be sure you saw what you think you saw? Perception is after all a tricky things.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

The crux of the matter is *to play devil's advocate* can you be sure you saw what you think you saw? Perception is after all a tricky things.

Yes, I can. I am one of those people who can, and I am on solid ground here. No matter if the army of skeptics knock on my door.
Since earliest childhood I have seen ghost or spirits (whatever label you might want to give them). It's an extremely long story .. but you asked me a question and I answered it.

Greetings

[edit on 7-3-2009 by TheWriter]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

That's all well and good. Now prove it to me beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Remember there are such things called hallucinations audio and visual. As well as schiztophrenia.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I think the premise is flawed, built more on a persecution complex more than the facts. Polls show that the majority of Americans would fall under the category of believers; a 2002 poll showed that 72% of Americans think there is a UFO cover-up, another taken around the time of the 50th Anniversary of the Roswell Crash showed numbers of 80%.

While the premise is flawed, there is a bit of truth to it. However, it is not that people look down on believers, the issue is far more complex than that. It has to do with trust. Trust is a rare commodity in this field and not without good reason. As someone mentioned earlier, the UFO field is riddled with charlatans, hoaxers, liars and scam-artists. Even those with a passion for the subject, such as us, do not know who to trust. If we do not know who to trust, how can any person with a casual interest know?

Further, believers can be very off-putting. There is a presumption of arrogance among many believers, akin to the most abrasive religious fundamentalist. They believe they have all the answers. Any one who does not subscribe to their particular belief is either mentally-deficient, suffers from psychological issues or is working for the government to deceive. There is no room for genuine disagreement. If you want evidence of this, look in this very thread.

Originally posted by SuperSlovak

It seems you have less interest in the truth and more of an interest in being proven right.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join