It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So magnetism affects the mind...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I actually have had this in my bookmarks for a while now.

magnetism does affect the mind.

But something unexpected happened. A patient who had been so depressed she could barely speak became ebullient after the 45-minute brain scan. Then a second patient, who seemed incapable of even a wan smile, emerged actually telling jokes. Then another and another. Was this some bizarre coincidence? Aimee Parow, the technician who made these observations (she is now a medical student in New York) didn't think so. She mentioned the patients' striking mood shifts to her boss, and together they completely refocused the study: to see if the electromagnetic fields might actually have a curative effect on debilitating melancholy.

"Part of the neurobiology of bipolar disorder is that there seem to be biochemical alterations at the cellular level within neurons that make them more sensitive to anything coming in," he says. Magnetic stimulation, he speculates, may be tapping into the hypersensitivity of the neurons.

health.usnews.com...
and electrical equipment can probably be affected too...

Space weather can produce solar storm electromagnetic fields that induce extreme currents in wires, disrupting power lines, causing wide-spread blackouts and affecting communication cables that support the Internet. Severe space weather also produces solar energetic particles and the dislocation of the Earth's radiation belts, which can damage satellites used for commercial communications, global positioning and weather forecasting. Space weather has been recognized as causing problems with new technology since the invention of the telegraph in the 19th century.

www.nasa.gov...

and there are rapid changes in its core too, also affecting magetic fields...

“What is so surprising is that rapid, almost sudden, changes take place in the Earth’s magnetic field. This suggests that similar sudden changes take place in the movement of the liquid metal deep inside the Earth which is the reason for the Earth’s magnetic field,” Nils Olsen explains.

www.sciencedaily.com...

"The more particles, the more severe the storm," said Joachim "Jimmy" Raeder of the University of New Hampshire, a co-author of Li's paper. "If the solar field has been aligned with the Earth's for a while, we now know Earth's field is heavily loaded with solar particles and primed for a strong storm. This discovery gives us a basic predictive capability for the severity of solar storms, similar to a hurricane forecaster's realization that warmer oceans set the stage for more intense hurricanes. In fact, we expect stronger storms in the upcoming solar cycle

www.sciencedaily.com...

but magnetic peak and solar peak are different

The Sun's field actually peaks twice; there is a first peak which then declines over about a year, then a slight resurgence for about a year, then a decline which leads down to the minimum -- it looks like a double-humped camel's back (technically, a Bactrian camel, if a zoologist happens to be reading this). The peak of flare and CME activity is actually associated with that second peak, with more and more violent solar explosions occurring then.

blogs.discovermagazine.com...

maybe i went a little over board in the magnetism articles. but do you see my point. is it possible that magnetism can change thoughts over a period of time with out us noticing?

[edit on 5-3-2009 by Another 1evel]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
i read a book a few years ago from the library, before the internet days

i still cannot confirm this online, yet...

apparently the mayans knew of the sun rotating every 40 days

for 10 days, positive energy was coming from the sun,

then for ten days negative energy....

so, during the positive energy days, everybody had literally lots of energy, they could work long hours each day, got a lot of stuff done, everyone co-operated

then, during the negative energy days, everyone would have a siesta and take time for arts, crafts, having a good time, resting, relaxing...

they found if they tried to work on the negative days, bad things ended up happening, arguments, things just did not happen

the sun, was supposed to have four distinct bulges, each emitting positive or negative energy...

i still cannot find any info on this online, and cannot remember the title of that book... i have even asked a couple of mayan calender enthusiasts, and they looked kinda like

and then i rarely mention it anymore

this kind of fits with this thread, in the sense that electromagnetism has to have an effect of some kind, look at what happens on a full moon

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
although i have limited knowledge of neurobiology,i may have a persoell experience to add,since i was very young i`ve been studying basic eletronics
this led me to investigate EMPs .the electromagnetic pulse produced from the various sized emp devices i have made and tested ,leads me to agree with this information.cognative function ,memory ect ,in my case,increased noticeably,when exposed to the pulse ,'maybe another back yard scientist has experienced similar sensation

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
i actually research neuroscience quite a bit. i have been for the past couple of months. i think that it is the ion channels in our brain that respond to the magnetic field, similar to what goes on in the ionosphere. the difference is that we can control it to some degree if indeed this is happening (i believe it is).

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Transcranial magnetic stimulation

www.mayoclinic.com...

Transcranial magnetic stimulation is an experimental procedure that uses magnetic fields to stimulate nerve cells in the brain in the hope of improving chronic depression symptoms. Transcranial magnetic stimulation is one of the newer types of brain stimulation methods designed to treat depression when standard treatment hasn't worked. There are different ways to perform transcranial magnetic stimulation. But in general, a large electromagnetic coil is placed against your scalp near your forehead. The electromagnet creates painless electric currents that stimulate nerve cells in the region of your brain involved in mood regulation and depression.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I see no reason to distrust their observations.

Plus it has sound theory backing it. The brain is an electro-chemical system. The common issue when it comes to neurons in the brain is the inability to transmit from one to the other... being an electro-chemical process, I would assume electro-magnetism would affect it in some way similar to the way it effects other electrical systems.

Could explain why I'm usually happier when working around allot of electronics.

... err... no, sorry, that's because I'm a tech loving freak.

I'd enjoy reading the results of further studies.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Another 1evel

Hello. I am not sure if you have read over any of Johnjoe McFaddens CEMI brain theory.

He researches electro-magnetics role in brain function and it's relations to conscience. Check out The cemi field theory for a catalog of his papers. He's a professor for Sussex University.

Peace

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I remember listening to this shortwave radio program once where this guy was describing how he made a giant electromagnet and hung it above his bed and plugged the thing in and let it run while he would sleep. He claimed that when he would wake up the next day he felt really good and refreshed. Went on to say how his device has got rid of his long lasting depression and even some physical ailments and when he didn't plug it in at night then the next day he felt sad and his body ached again.

I have no idea what station this was on, it may have been WWCR and I think he went on to sell his homemade device as a product and the commercial was for how to order it.
It would be interesting to look into though and someone with some background in building simple electronics shouldn't find it hard to build one of these. I have no idea if the electromagnet was setup for static polarization or if it was to be alternating.

Hey a lot of people wear those wrist magnets and claim they help. My only guess on how those goofy things work is maybe it has something to do with blood blow and being on the wrist it may somehow change some property of the blood before it flows back to the brain?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Another 1evel
i actually research neuroscience quite a bit. i have been for the past couple of months. i think that it is the ion channels in our brain that respond to the magnetic field, similar to what goes on in the ionosphere. the difference is that we can control it to some degree if indeed this is happening (i believe it is).

this post has me seeking more,

do you have more info?

links maybe?
and thanks, now i have way too much to look for
still not sure where to start, such is life

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by b4tee4
i read a book a few years ago from the library, before the internet days

i still cannot confirm this online, yet...

apparently the mayans knew of the sun rotating every 40 days

for 10 days, positive energy was coming from the sun,

then for ten days negative energy....

I'm not a 100% sure, but i think you might be talking about the work of Maurice Cotterell's - Secrets of the SuperGods

What he did was to compare the known speed of rotation at the Sun’s equator against the known speed of rotation at the Sun’s poles. Because the Sun is a gaseous, fluid body, it moves quicker at the equator, and slower at the poles.
When we expand this information out to the Sun, the satellite data confirms that it takes 26 Earth days for the Sun to make one full turn at the Equator, and 37 Earth days for the Sun to make one full turn at the poles.

Cotterell determined that the two variables would intersect every 87.4545 days. So, he decided to take "snapshots" of the solar data only when these two cycles intersected. He called this unit of 87.4545 days a bit.

This "most important pattern" of either 19 or 20 sunspot cycles appeared to control when the Sun’s own magnetic poles would shift. The crucial 20-cycle length of time involved is precisely 1,366,040 days, or 3,740 years.
This same exact cycle of 1,366,040 days was known and watched by the Maya

His video is here. It is VERY interesting if you want to explore other ideas regarding the suns electromagnetic field and its effect on us 'down here'.

Google Video Link

Cheers

And to the OP Another 1evel: Great thread, this topic has always facinated me
Just wish i wasn't so tired (its quite late), other wise id have more to add, ill check back tommorow though

Peace

AoN

Edited to fix Vid

[edit on 7-3-2009 by Anomic of Nihilism]

[edit on 7-3-2009 by Anomic of Nihilism]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by b4tee4

www.jneurosci.org...
Heres one. The human mind truly is fascinating. I wonder if this is what people mean by a shift in human consciousness?

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
here is another article explaining that the solar activity in the last 60 years is the most active in the last 8000 years.

A new data set has allowed them to extend the length of the studied period of time to 11,400 years, so that the whole length of time since the last ice age could be covered. This study showed that the current episode of high solar activity since about the year 1940 is unique within the last 8000 years. This means that the Sun has produced more sunspots, but also more flares and eruptions, which eject huge gas clouds into space, than in the past. The origin and energy source of all these phenomena is the Sun's magnetic field.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Anomic of Nihilism, i haven't had the time to watch the video but I'm looking forward to it.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Another 1evel

could this relate to the technological boom of the last 60yrs?

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

it could. i have been reading science news more often and it seems to me that, as society, we are getting closer to answer fundamental questions to understand our universe and planet everyday.

edit: spelling ; added a few words

[edit on 8-3-2009 by Another 1evel]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by b4tee4

i still cannot find any info on this online, and cannot remember the title of that book... i have even asked a couple of mayan calender enthusiasts, and they looked kinda like

If you come to find out the name of that book, or similar articles on it, I hope you come back to post about it. I have always been intrigued with the Mayan's, and would like to learn more about this book you speak of. And your right, look at how much power the moon has on the ocean's. I can only imagine the effect this could have on our minds throughout our life time.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Anomic of Nihilism

Here is a lot of interesting pages from a Stumbleupon search about Maurice Cotterell

www.stumbleupon.com...

Thanks Anomic of Nihilism you have given me some very interesting research to start doing.

[edit on 8-3-2009 by stealthsurfer]

new topics

top topics

join