It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Hadji Singh from Johnny Quest the only normally portrayed indian in the media?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Hadji Singh is a juvenile Indian character on the American animated television series Jonny Quest (1964-65) and its later incarnations.

Hadji is an Indian boy, eleven years old and the adoptive son of American scientist Dr. Benton Quest. He functions as a faithful companion to the main character, Jonny, and is seldom seen without his bejewelled turban and Nehru jacket. His name "Hadji" apparently has only an accidental resemblance with the title of a Muslim veteran of the Mecca pilgrimage (Hajji). A fuller name than "Hadji" is never revealed for the character in the original series. In a sequel series, The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest (1996-97), he is given the surname "Singh".

Like in most films/cartoons/media,
the Indians are either terrorist or goofy charactors with funny accents.

I think Hadji is a better example of reality in most cases.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Did you not see harold and kumar? If thats not a normal person of indian decent then whats the world coming to? Just ignore the fact his dad is a dr....

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I don't think Indians are portrayed as terrorists and it seems to me that they are taken as goofy only in the US. To the rest of the world, Indians are seen as intelligent, savvy business people and inoffensive. Of course more culturally aware people are also conscience of the caste system and the immense poverty in the face of a minority very rich Indians. A minority in India is a very large group of people but they are swamped by hundreds of millions of poor people.

[edit on 063131p://pm3124 by masonwatcher]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

Hadji was a normally portrayed indian?

Does anyone remember those shows? He'd say something along the lines of "Sim Sim Salavim!" and perform weird magic tricks like making a coiled rope float in the air.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Given that India is a sub-continent of Asia, and not in the Middle East at all, what has this got to do with Middle East Issues?

Middle East

I'm looking for some relevance to the forum topic here, which is

Discussion and analysis of tensions, conflicts, and conspiracies related to the middle eastern counties and cultures.

And I'm not seeing any - maybe you could expand a little?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
While India is definitely not in the Middle East (I'd call it part of 'Southeast Asia' if I had to call it something), it is funny how the definition of 'Middle East' is slowly moving further and futher east. First Afghanistan, then Pakistan, now even India! Soon, the 'Far East' will refer to the USA.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi

Hadji was a normally portrayed indian?

Does anyone remember those shows? He'd say something along the lines of "Sim Sim Salavim!" and perform weird magic tricks like making a coiled rope float in the air.

Hadji was not portrayed as a normal Indian. Are we supposed to believe all Indians have mystical powers and can charm snakes?

Imo Hadji was your stereotypical Indian of those times. Like whoshotjr mentioned Harold and Kumar... now that's a "normal" indian.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by babloyi

The first season of the newer series took a more realistic portrayal of Hadji, removing his ability to levitate. Most of his abilities were mostly yoga style practices and ideas.
Mostly he was played parallel to Johnny's impulsive and brash behavior.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

I watched the newer series too, and I while it might have been more realistic portrayal (as a person), I wouldn't call him a normal portrayal of an indian. He seemed more like some unbelievably advanced preachy kid with a Wiseman complex.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by babloyi

Which is kind of the point, Hadji was a character, him being a Indian wasn't brought up to much.
Over all, he's less of a stereotype and more of aunique character.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
If you haven't already, check out Russell Peters:

www.youtube.com...

Can't post a vid here because of the language.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Google Video Link

oopsie? should i remove it?

[edit on 18-3-2009 by undo]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

from the show, HEROES

actor Sendhil Ramamurthy
en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics