It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Needs a Lesson in Protocol

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Obama's blockbuster gift for Brown to reaffirm the 'special relationship': 25 DVDs

Gordon Brown has been given a collection of 25 classic American films on DVD as his official gift from Barack Obama.

Wow! A quick trip to Wal Mart for some DVD's

Here is what Obama got from Brown.

Mr Brown's gifts included an ornamental desk pen holder made from the oak timbers of Victorian anti-slaver HMS Gannet, once named HMS President. Mr Obama was so delighted he has already put it in pride of place in the Oval Office on the Resolute desk which was carved from timbers of Gannet's sister ship, HMS Resolute.

Another treasure given to the U.S. President was the framed commission for HMS Resolute, a vessel that came to symbolise Anglo-US peace when it was saved from ice packs by Americans and given to Queen Victoria. Finally, Mr Brown gave a first edition set of the seven-volume classic biography of Churchill by Sir Martin Gilbert.

And for the kids

Sarah Brown gave Sasha and Malia Obama an outfit each from Topshop, which has just opened its first American store in New York.

She also picked six children's books by British authors which are shortly to be published in America. But the British press has already accused the Obamas of gaffing over the gifts they gave in return.

The Obamas gave the Browns two models of the presidential helicopter, Marine One, to take home to sons Fraser and John.

Way to go Michelle, nothing like a quick trip to the White House gift shop for the helicopter toys.

Obama and his wife are amateurs at best. Emily Post and Latitia Baldridge, where are you?? What an insult to Prime Minister Brown and his family. Apparently, Brown isn't even a movie fan.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

[edit on 5-3-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I am surprised. Really. DVDs?? Comeon.

I remember when Bill Clinton sent a singing fish to Tony Blair. It was a gag gift that he mailed over. But I have a feeling these DVDs were supposed to be a 'real' gift.

Oy.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Thats funny. No mention in the UK papers today about any of that. Which is funny, because they will turn ANYTHING into an issue here. They actually blame Brown for the current WORLD crisis.

If this was true, then Obama needs some new assistants, asap.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I dunno.

The nation is going bankrupt and many Americans can't pay their mortgages or put food on their tables.

So who's he gonna fool if he goes all out?

Besides, Hollywood movies just might be the USA's most successful, reliable export. Not a bad choice in that light.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
Thats funny. No mention in the UK papers today about any of that. Which is funny, because they will turn ANYTHING into an issue here. They actually blame Brown for the current WORLD crisis.

If this was true, then Obama needs some new assistants, asap.

I read the article in the "Daily Mail".

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
I dunno.

The nation is going bankrupt and many Americans can't pay their mortgages or put food on their tables.

Besides, Hollywood movies just might be the USA's most successful, reliable export. Not a bad choice in that light.

He has no problem spending a small fortune on White House parties and buying steaks at $100/lb for the Super Bowl. I would think that he could put a little more effort into the gift for the Prime Minister of one of our greatest allies. First he sends back the bust of Churchhill and now a box of DVD's. I wonder what he has in store if Queen Elizabeth II ever comes to town. Perhaps a moldy box of Betamax tapes from the White House basement will suffice.

edit for content accuracy

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
When Christmas or Birthdays roll around do you check out the price tag on the gifts you receive?
Do you have them appraised maybe?
Do you play at Yankee Trader possibly?
Or do you take the gift with the thought behind it, accept it gracefully and thankfully?

You’ve No idea what goes on behind closed doors between Mr. Brown and President Obama.
For all you know they stuck up a conversation about John Wayne, President Regan even (remember him, the actor turned President) and Mr. Brown voiced his personal affair with classic American movies.
Do you know what the movies are?
Do you know their significance?
No.
You’re nit picking.

As for a *pen set* - oh give me a break.
How many ornamental pen sets have you been given that strike up your fancy as being that perfect gift?

And what a slap in the face - gawd, talk about a protocol breach!
To give the President of the United States a gift made from a ant-slave trade vessel?
From the Brits?
ROTFL!
You’ve got to be freaking kidding me!
Mr. Brown might as well have even him a banana!

Can’t you people find anything better to do than pick pick pick pick pick at the President?

Geesh, from the looks of this thread I guess not!

G.A.L

peace

edit:

[edit on 5-3-2009 by silo13]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Obama's blockbuster gift for Brown to reaffirm the 'special relationship': 25 DVDs

Gordon Brown has been given a collection of 25 classic American films on DVD as his official gift from Barack Obama.

Well, in a culture so shared that you folks speak "English", not "American", one of the major distinctions is the product of Hollywood.

If you shopped for American cinema outside of Walmart, you might learn about 'The Criterion Collection"...the gold standard of movie presentation. I'd venture to guess the films came from that source, and that it would be a pretty classy gift.

But, hey...if Walmart is your cultural mecca, go nuts.

Anything to slag a democrat, eh?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

You obviously didn't read the article.

As for the pen set... The box was carved from the timber wood of the SISTER ship that Obama's desk is made from. His desk is crafted from the wood of the USS Resolute. The desk was a gift from Queen Victoria to President Hayes.

Seems pretty thoughtful to me... I made no mention of price. It is about thought and meaning and protocol. All notions that are lost with Obama our new casual president.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

He sure as hell won't fool Stevie Wonder or Earth, Wind & Fire

Funis Duo

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

You obviously didn't read the article.

I didn't have to - you put it right there in your post.

Anything else to nit pick over?

EDIT: Came back to edit my post -
It’s just not worth getting into.
I'm not going to play this ridiculous game.
Edit the rest of the post too...

peace

[edit on 5-3-2009 by silo13]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Here is the list of movies in the special box set that was so thoughtfully given to Prime Minister Brown. A perfect gift for a man who is not a big fan of the cinema.

Movies in the box-set produced for the White House by the American Film Institute: 1. Citizen Kane 2. The Godfather 3. Casablanca 4. Raging Bull 5. Singing In The Rain 6. Gone With The Wind 7. Lawrence Of Arabia 8. Schindler's List 9. Vertigo 10. The Wizard Of Oz 11. City Lights 12. The Searchers 13. Star Wars: Episode IV 14. Psycho 15. 2001: A Space Odyssey 16. Sunset Boulevard 17. The Graduate 18. The General 19. On The waterfront 20. It's A Wonderful Life 21. China Town 22. Some Like It Hot 23. The Grapes Of Wrath 24. ET: The Extra Terrestrial 25. To Kill A Mocking Bird.

www.dailymail.co.uk...< br />
Where is Caddy Shack, Animal House, and Sixteen Candles?? Wow!! Some great movies but, I've received more thoughtful gifts in the office White Elephant gift exchange.

This was a historic trip for Brown. He addressed a joint session of congress and he was the first international visitor to the White House. I get the feeling that the next international visitor will be receiving the same box set

To those who think I am nit picking poor Obama.. I am. I want to paint the clear picture of just how rank he really is. Some people get it and some obviously don't. The man is an embarrassment.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Well, in a culture so shared that you folks speak "English", not "American", one of the major distinctions is the product of Hollywood.

If you shopped for American cinema outside of Walmart, you might learn about 'The Criterion Collection"...the gold standard of movie presentation. I'd venture to guess the films came from that source, and that it would be a pretty classy gift.

But, hey...if Walmart is your cultural mecca, go nuts.

Anything to slag a democrat, eh?

Hey Mr. Canuck is this the "gold standard" that you speak of?? I'm pretty sure I could buy all of these movies at Wal Mart. This is a list of the movies given to Brown. Save your elitist attitude for your friends in Quebec.

Last time I checked Wal-Mart had 300 plus stores and growing in Canada. I suppose you are above shopping there. Good for you!! You should be proud.

Movies in the box-set produced for the White House by the American Film Institute: 1. Citizen Kane 2. The Godfather 3. Casablanca 4. Raging Bull 5. Singing In The Rain 6. Gone With The Wind 7. Lawrence Of Arabia 8. Schindler's List 9. Vertigo 10. The Wizard Of Oz 11. City Lights 12. The Searchers 13. Star Wars: Episode IV 14. Psycho 15. 2001: A Space Odyssey 16. Sunset Boulevard 17. The Graduate 18. The General 19. On The waterfront 20. It's A Wonderful Life 21. China Town 22. Some Like It Hot 23. The Grapes Of Wrath 24. ET: The Extra Terrestrial 25. To Kill A Mocking Bird.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
There are so many jokes to be made about this. OMG
Was there a gift receipt? What if they were used and scratched--Hilarious!!!
Probably John Holmes movies Obama thinks are dramas about him and the American people.
Maybe it's a conspiracy to distract the British government while Osbama pulls a fast one.

And seriously he loves that helicopter! Man!

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I'm sure he already has a lesson in the Protocols (of the Elders of Zion!)--from left field

Booya!

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

So, why are these movies in the collection? I mean Star Wars IV....what about the rest of them? Who watches just 1 episode out of 6?

Kind of on a tangent to this topic; i wonder if there is any sort of importance to the titles included in the box set? ie: Biggest Blockbusters, Most popular. How did they choose the movies that are in that set?

Sorry I just don't really care what elites give each other as gifts, for all we know there were other gifts exchanged we didn't get to hear about....More things for the common citizen to argue about...but has little to do with the issues we should be discussing. Just saying.

Sorry for straying off topic

JohnnyR

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyR
reply to post by jibeho

So, why are these movies in the collection? I mean Star Wars IV....what about the rest of them? Who watches just 1 episode out of 6?

Kind of on a tangent to this topic; i wonder if there is any sort of importance to the titles included in the box set? ie: Biggest Blockbusters, Most popular. How did they choose the movies that are in that set?

Sorry I just don't really care what elites give each other as gifts, for all we know there were other gifts exchanged we didn't get to hear about....More things for the common citizen to argue about...but has little to do with the issues we should be discussing. Just saying.

Sorry for straying off topic

JohnnyR

I appreciate your input. I am actually tired of debating all of the current issues especially those pertaining to our economy (I have lost all of the money that I can possibly lose). I enjoyed this story for the fact that it didn't pertain to the economy and for fact that it illustrates how much of a fool Obama is considering the magnitude of Brown's visit.

The UK papers seem to enjoy running this story.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I wonder what he has in store if the Queen Mum ever comes to town. Perhaps a moldy box of Betamax tapes from the White House basement will suffice.

I think if the Queen Mum ever visits President Obama she'll arrive in her own mouldy box, having died a few years ago.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Supercertari

My apologies. I meant to refer to Queen Elizabeth II.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Supercertari

The box might be mouldy but the Queen Mum will still be as fresh as a daisy, having been pickled in gin & Dubonnet the last 80 years. Gawd bless her.

As to Obama's gift ... if you can call it a gift ... these things don't happen accidentally. PM Brown got the back door welcome at the White House, no honour guard, no press conference, no nothing basically. And yet still he fawned in awe of Obama. His speech to Congress was just plain cringeworthy & as for the knighthood he announced for Ted Kennedy, what on earth was he thinking ?

PM Brown was just about on his knees the whole trip ... no wonder he gets sand kicked in his face. The whole visit was a disaster from start to finish.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join