It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New archbishop gets $470K home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

New archbishop gets $470K home

www.wtol.com

CINCINNATI (AP) - Catholic church leaders in Cincinnati are defending the purchase of a a nearly $470,000 four-bedroom suburban home for the new archbishop.

The archdiocese for some 500,000 Roman Catholics in 19 southwest Ohio counties has been cutting costs and employees in a slumping U.S. economy. However, it wanted a home for the Most Reverend Dennis Schnurr, who takes over later this year for Archbishop Daniel Pilarczyk.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
What great perks for the Catholic archbishop. It's a good thing they are putting all that cash to good use instead of wasting it on frivolous things like helping to feed the hungry, especially in these economic times.

If I were a member of this church, I would be ashamed to see this happening. I think not only that, but I would be questioning somebody about why it's so important to spend so much money on one family, when there are much better ways to be spending that kind of money.

That's my 2 cents.

www.wtol.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I find this most disturbing.

Here is a memo sent to Bishops about financial malfeasance written by
his most holy eminence: Rev. Dennis M. Schnurr

I guess he forgot about this memo.

I am ashamed for our diocese.

4 page pdf file
www.usccb.org...

MEMORANDUM
TO: All Bishops
DATE: March 23, 2007
RE: Parish Financial Governance
As we are all painfully aware, the Church is not immune to financial malfeasance,
a fact that has become increasingly clear in recent months as financial scandals have been
reported from all over the country. In fact, some in the media and elsewhere have coined
Church finances as the next big scandal for the Catholic Church. A number of articles
have appeared as of late on this topic in various newspapers such as the Wall Street
Journal, New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine. In today’s environment of the
Enrons, Worldcoms, et al, the Church must remain vigilant. It must continuously seek
measures and procedures that can better ensure that the monies and resources are being
expended in accordance with the intention of donors and benefactors. A sampling of
recent media stories follow:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
In just reading the first few paragraphs of the link you provided, it's really sad to see so many priests and catholic officials stealing, squandering and embezzling money.

It's something you don't expect to see from church leaders, but unfortunately, it's happening. And I guarantee you, it's not just the Catholics.

[edit on 4-3-2009 by Clark W. Griswold]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Did you notice who wrote that memo?

Yep, the very same new Archie that gets the "cool digs"

What's next, a reality show about priestly pads?

No more donations from this Catholic....

I'll send it to the local food bank instead.

Peace

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I did indeed notice. It's hard to believe, that's for sure. Did you also notice that the current archbishop is living in an apartment? What's so special about the new guy?

I don't blame you one bit. I donate frequently to the local food bank, freecycle, etc. I won't donate to a church, period.

new topics

top topics

join