It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11 Known Dimensions? Explain them to me...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Hey everyone,

I've always been interested in alternative dimensions but have never successfully been able to find distinctive definitions on them. I know that:

Dimension 1 - A single point in space
Dimension 2 - A flat plane
Dimension 3 - The 3D world, X, Y, Z
Dimension 4 - Time

Can everybody throw in their 2 cents worth and suggest the others. I believe Dimension 5 (in extremely simple terms is non-local, for example the level at which consciousness resides. I am probably phenomenally wrong here as I am not scientifically minded but can someone educate me and give me a greater understanding of Dimension 5 and above?

Cheers in advance,
Th8nker

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Th8nker

10 (perhaps 11) 'possible' dimensions....this, from the math that came out of Quantum Theory.

Believe me, I watch the Science Channel a lot, and whenever this subject is presented.....it goes way over my head.

The math is extreme....

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Th8nker
Hey everyone,

I've always been interested in alternative dimensions but have never successfully been able to find distinctive definitions on them. I know that:

Dimension 1 - A single point in space
Dimension 2 - A flat plane
Dimension 3 - The 3D world, X, Y, Z
Dimension 4 - Time

Can everybody throw in their 2 cents worth and suggest the others. I believe Dimension 5 (in extremely simple terms is non-local, for example the level at which consciousness resides. I am probably phenomenally wrong here as I am not scientifically minded but can someone educate me and give me a greater understanding of Dimension 5 and above?

Cheers in advance,
Th8nker

This is a really good question that nobody can answer because we are not there.
I’ve posed this several times in threads that in fact time has more than 1 dimension for going forward. I think its has backward also making 2 dimensions.

Back to your list

Dimension 1 - A single point in space = 1
Dimension 2 - A flat plane (forward back) = 2
Dimension 3 - The 3D world, X, Y, Z = 6
Dimension 4 – Time = 2

Total 11

Just an idea

MJ2

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Google Video Link

is the best explanation I've ever seen for explaining up to the 10th dimension. It's a great video, and they make it simple to understand.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Avarus' post... just terrific! For someone like me, who is not a theoretical physicist, that was the best possible explanation. Thanks to the OP for bringing this topic up, it's been something I've wondered about for awhile.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Avarus

Awesome video Avarus!

Star form me.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Very nice! I don't go in for videos much, but this was an excellent explanation!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I agree, 'Byrd'.....

BUT, I have to see the rest.

This was, after all (according to what I heard) a lecture to Graduates...

A virus on my computer interrupted the Professor....so now, I have to start it over....

Still.....best thing I have EVER seen on ATS!!!! Bar none!!!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The Eleventh dimension is God

Okay really here is a quick description I found on the 11th (if it exist)..
11th dimension
You may want to google M Theory also (Master Theory).
This is all interesting stuff, that video above refreshed my memory on the subject since I haven't read about this stuff in a long while.

edit: how could I forget, Michio Kaku on the 11th dimension..
www.fortunecity.com...

Just in case anyone is interested in the 11th

[edit on 3/7/2009 by darklife]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
go read this Imagining the Tenth Dimension By Rob Bryanton
he's the guy who started it all

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

ooops! (slap)

There is another google video, another thread....a professor from Stanford discussing quantum physics to a group of Graduate students.....

The concepts, of the multiple dimensons, and quantum....they MUST be tied together somehow.....

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
the 10th dimension video is not an accurate description of what physists label as the extra unseen dimensions. These extra dimensions are incredibly tiny. Its really hard to give a verbal description of what they actually are. Its purely sometyhing that has to be described with mathematics.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
The video helped a lot, Up until the 7th dimension! because if it is the infinity possibility dimension, Then wouldn't there be a possibility of No dimensions at all?

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by PanzerDiv

PD...you have to look (EDIT here()ng......

It is difficult to put your mind around......but try it, watch again.....!!!!!

[edit on 3/8/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by constantwonder
the 10th dimension video is not an accurate description of what physists label as the extra unseen dimensions. These extra dimensions are incredibly tiny. Its really hard to give a verbal description of what they actually are. Its purely sometyhing that has to be described with mathematics.

Yes. Very misleading video. As if all these dimensions were embedded in Euclidean space, Flatland-like. These extra spatial dimensions, if they really exist, are actually proven to be curled-up, or “compactified” in string theory.

However the failure of string theory to predict anything testable makes it likely that it will be abandoned in favor of a different mathematical beast like E8 in the "surfer dudes'" theory, with 248 dimensions.

Edit to add: additonal caveat: extra dimensions may not all be space-like dimensions, some of them may be time-like. Hopefully the LHC experiments will uncover the extra dimensions.

[edit on 2009-3-8 by nablator]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Thanks loads to everyone for their contributions here. The video from Avarus was immense. I truly learn't something today!!! Like other people on this thread, its been bugging me for a long time. I think I'll watch the vid a few more times and hammer it into myself!

Thanks
Th8nker

top topics

join