It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revealed: The headset that will mimic all five senses and make the virtual world as convincing as re

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Link to Story

Revealed: The headset that will mimic all five senses and make the virtual world as convincing as real life

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1159206/The-headset-mimic-senses-make-virtual-world-convincing-real-life.html]www.dailymail.co.uk[ /url]

A virtual reality helmet that recreates the sights, smells, sounds and even tastes of far-flung holiday destinations has been devised by British scientists.
Armchair travellers wearing the device will be able to hear the roar of lions on safari, smell the flowers of an Alpine meadow or feel the heat of the Caribbean sun on their face - all from the comfort of their sitting room.
The device will also allow people to greet friends and family on the other side of the world as if they were in same room, and to immerse themselves in fantasy worlds.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-3-2009 by DirkDiggler]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Aren't we already wearing one of these?
I believe this technology has already been perfected aeons
ago and has been sucessfully forced upon us as a whole.

You put yours on and powered it up and called it "Birth".
When the unit malfunctions or runs out of power we call it "death".
When there are people who are not fooled by the illusion/virtual reality device, we call them "Crazy".
When people try to take the device off before it is time, we call it suicide.
We are programmed to fear the removal of the device.Thus ensuring we will always wear it.
THe software that is currently running SUCKS and it is time to reboot or change the software, or just take the damn thing off!!!!!!

[edit on 4-3-2009 by DirkDiggler]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
HEAR HEAR! thank you for putting that so straight forward. i think the batteris are dying on mine: that means im lookin for a new set! hopefully it will have an updated software version. unfortunately, its gonna be like getting the new xbox at christmas, people stampeding and alot of people getting hurt.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DirkDiggler

Ok,then how come you haven't took it off?
I hope you understand that this question was bound to be made with what you have said.

As for the headset,it's sounds pretty nice but still,everything will be VR.If we'd be able to use it for movies and make em more realistic etc that would be a blast but vacations?Who wants virtual vacations?
Offcourse i'd try it if i had the chance but that would be just it,i don't find it that appealling.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I'll pass on a headset...reality tv has taught me that their version of real is more idiotic then real.
I'll stick to living a REAL memory and REAL experience.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Didn't they use these things in Total Recall? The last thing we need is one of these helmets to keep us "asleep" while the world around us goes to hell in a handbag. But hey! Throw more escapist media and activities at the general public and no one will care about the drug cartels moving across the US border or the rising unemployment rate.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The headset that will mimic all five senses ?

I would like to try that 5th one... (touch in a virtual machine) ??

Do you mean 4 senses in your title?

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
theres another version of it called a t.v that we all have in our house. just cuz it dont fit on your head dont mean it aint the same thing.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oceanborn

Ok,then how come you haven't took it off?

Did you mean "why haven't you taken it off"?
Because it is my job to convince others that they are living an illusion.
If you are a part of this website then I would venture a guess that it is yours too. We can't do that if we unplug now can we?

This is beginning to sound like that movie Totall Recall.
You have to ask yourself how perfected this technology could become.
I think if you follow the logic thru, you'll see that it will end up where we already are. In a V.R. meat suit.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TrainDispatcher

Did you even bother to read the article?
FIVE SENSES!
Gotta love people who chime in without reading first.
I love ya brother.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Woah woah woah woah woah! So did you guys have to take the blue pill or the red pill? Because for some reason they gave me a green shot before putting me in one of those things!

Really this just sounds like something you would wear at a spa like during a massage.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by OKCBtard

What I find ironic is the idea of virtual reality inside of virtual reality?????
I suppose the next step is to put one of these helmets on and travel to the local VR electronics store and "virtually" put a virtual reality headset on.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
awesome i want one, doom 3 was scary enough as it was can't wait for games where you can smell the fear and fire.

This could be much useful as an education tool or entertainment device than as some sinister nwo head trap -stop being so darn paranoid all of you -if you really care then run it on linux .

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

That's awesome stuff, thanks for posting

It will even allow students to explore history - and find out what it was really like to live in Ancient Egypt, Rome or Greece

Wonder when this technology will be released mainstream.

[edit on 4/3/09 by Majorion]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Ive looked into research for VR headsets.
They seem to make most people feel sick and dizzy and strange after a while.
Even the less invasive HUD style.
Something to do with altering the natural senses.
So they might very well be able to make them, but physically people wont be able to use them for to long.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I’ve fantasized about this helmet since I saw the absolutely incredible film *Brainstorm.*
In all my naiveté I hoped I’d see it for *real* in my lifetime.
Now that it’s here I’m not so sure.

Thanks for the heads up!

peace

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   

That sure isn't my job,hobby,way of thinking or anything else.I've never said that we all live in an illusion and i'm kinda amazed that you got this idea just because i'm a member of this forum.Not everyone here believe what you do.

So,you're trying to convince people about something that you're not even yourself sure and don't tell me that you are because the only way is to "take off the VR helmet".

Nice job.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
my question is how will the smells be synthesized?

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

You beat me too it.

Brainstorm 1983 starring Christopher Walken and Natalie Wood.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
[edit on 4-3-2009 by Alexander_Supertramp]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join