It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia 'Octomom Bill' Would Limit Embryo Implants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Georgia 'Octomom bill' Would Limit Embryo Implants

www.cnn.com

The tabloid-friendly tale of the so-called California "Octomom" continues to stir debate -- this time 2,000 miles away in the Georgia state capitol, where lawmakers say they're trying to prevent a repeat.

A Georgia state senator introduced legislation to limit the number of embryos that can be implanted in a woman's uterus during in-vitro fertilization procedures.

Sen. Ralph Hudgens, a Republican from near Athens, Georgia, said his legislation was inspired by Nadya Suleman, the woman who said she gave birth to octuplets after being fertilized with six embryos -- an unusually high number.

"She is not married," said Hudgens. "She is unemployed, she is on government assistance and now she is going to put those 14 children on the back of the taxpayers in the state of California."

Suleman, 33, had six children before the procedure.

Hudgens' plan, which was co-sponsored by several other senators, would limit the number of embryos a doctor could implant to two for women under 40 years old and three for women 40 or older.

Those numbers are slightly less than what's considered the norm in medical circles.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/4/2009 by skeptic1]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I really don't know what to think of this.

On the one hand, I think that "octomom" and her actions should never be repeated. It is a sad situation for not only the octuplets, but for her other 6 children as well.

On the other hand, I don't know how I feel about a state government (my state government) getting into this. It isn't really their place.

While I never want to see this happen again, I think it should be a decision made by the AMA and added to their ethics code....not by state governments.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Haven't you been listening to anything that's been going on lately? The government is out to nationalize health care, meaning the American Medical Association will soon be a branch of the U.S. government's medical services division, which means legislation will be required to make changes like this happen.

Yeah, sounds just as screwed up as octomom herself doesn't it?

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Of course I've been listening. I just don't think it can/will ever happen. Nationalized medicine, that is.

The government needs to stay the hell out of people's health care decisions.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I was wondering if there was more of an agenda beyond social distraction behind the Octo story (shameful that our society has ran as far as it has with the story as a headline...
).

As a way to promote acquiescence towards impositional legislation...well, now it may make sense.

Anyone remember the hoopla surrounding Terry Schiavo...and the fact that the movie "Million Dollar Baby" was a major movie at the time of the social issue (indicating that the movie was made prior to the proliferation of the Schiavo case in the national media)?

I think if we took a step back and took a look at the big picture that the corrolations may suggest a concerted effort to not only keep the populace focused on ethical and moral issues (which in and of itself is ultimately a fruitless concern on a personal level) but that these seemingly innoucuous topics are a lesson in opinion shaping on a societal level...

[edit on Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:19:21 -0600 by MemoryShock]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
This will never stand. Even if it's passed, it will get challenged and overturned. Politicians are not doctors. They have no right to determine what's in the best interest of the patient. The reason for multiple embryos is because often they don't all make it and it increases the likelihood of an actual pregnancy - which the woman has paid thousands of dollars to achieve.

Understand that these people are yahoos. Most of the GA Legislators don't even use proper grammar. The Legislature is in constant conflict between the representatives from the greater ATL metro area vs. the rest of the mostly rural state. We can't even buy beer or wine on Sundays. We are smack in the middle of the Bible belt. Or should I say hell?

Meanwhile, our schools are crap, roads and bridges are falling apart and there is unchecked and unmaintained sprawl. The economy is tanking, businesses are failing or leaving and these guys have determined that this issue is somehow important to governance? Really?

Why is it men are always telling women what to do with their bodies? If the issue is so important to them maybe they could just pass legislation that declares families with children conceived through fertility are ineligible for public assistance?

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Things are a bit odd here.
But, our legislature is also debating Sunday liquor sales (again, although the governer is adamently against it) and a $1 tax hike on cigarettes to fill in the gaps in the budget and to get people to stop smoking. Kind of defeats the purpose of a tax hike to fill the coffers if people quit..... :shk:

From the same article:

State lawmakers in Missouri are considering a similar bill. And England and Italy have had similar limits on the books for years.

So, it isn't only Georgia, and I was actually surprised when the "octomom" story came out that we didn't have the same counseling in this country that is mandated in England. I think this is a medical ethics issue, not a legal issue.

As for Shock's point, it very well could be all part of some social exercise. Let's publicize the extreme and horrifying and then people won't think it is so bad when laws get passed that restrict things even more.

top topics

join