It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World of Warcraft 'more addictive than cocaine'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I'm not sure I'm buying into this report.

I've gone for well over five days without sleep, and a week without food and been just fine.

I understand human physiology varies from person to person, but part of me has a real hard time beliving this young man - at 15 - was so sensitive that he died from one day without food and water and lack of sleep.

If there's any corraborating evidence to back up his physical condition or lend testiment to his fragility - I'd love to see it.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Star for Info and a Flag for the thread!

Every word, well said indeed.

I must say though, it is comforting to know that you're not alone in your assessment and keen observation. And I can't say that doesn't make me extremely happy.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Do people go through withdrawl when they loose their internet connection?

Do they go franticly begging the neighbors for the phone number of their ISP?

Do they break into houses looking for a live connection?

I bet she haden't fed the kid for weeks. He was probably desperate for human contact.

Anyone who believes this has never seen a real live heroine or crack addict!

[edit on 4-3-2009 by Cyberbian]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I’m a hard core gamer and the majority of my M8’s (ha ha) my friends in game are older than me at 45 and up and are women. My oldest friend in game is 63.
We’ve been known to *no life it* and spend huge hunks of time playing (when there’s a new release or we’re pushing for a new level) but on average it rounds out to about 5 hours a day.
Do I care?
Nope.
People have hobbies, this is mine, and, it gives me a chance to *speak* English where I normally wouldn’t be able to through the day.
I think you’ll find a lot more people of age play than you’d think.
Gaming’s not just a kids world anymore!

peace

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I used to play WoW and i can definitely say it was one of the most addictive games i have ever played. I gave it up and am really glad i did though, it was such a time sink. I still have several friends that play though. A couple tried to quit and did for a while but eventually went back to playing. One of my buddies from college had to transfer to an easier school because he couldn't keep up with his coursework because of the game. Its definitely very addictive and can be destructive. wowdetox.com has some very interesting stories if anyone wants a broader perspective on this.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Humans are addicted to all kinds of things and though I'm not playing currently I have had my stints of playing for days. I'm over 40 BTW and have been computer gaming since 1986 - if you don't count the ATARI back in the 70's.

Certain aspects of games are getting more and more like the real world, so it's easy to get lost for days - if you have the time.

I have a gamer friend that I use to play with over a modem before the internet and he's retired , 70 years old and spends much of his time still playing - so it's not just a kid thing.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I know Unreal Tournament 2004 was very addicting. I wonder how much more WOW is addicting compared with UT2004.. ?? 5 times more? 10 times more?

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   

The popular computer game World of Warcraft has been described as "more addictive than coc aine" after it sent a teenager into convulsions after he played non-stop for 24 hours.The game has been called "the most dangerous game on the market" by addiction therapists, after a 15-year-old Swedish boy collapsed and went into convulsions earlier this month.

His family rushed him into hospital where doctors diagnosed an epileptic-type seizure brought on by sleep deprivation, lack of food, and too long a stretch of concentrated game playing.

15 year old. On a game for 24 hours.

What were his parents doing?

I play WOW - have one topped out full epic character and several others -and yes, you can get absorbed into it alright BUT, as a parent there is no way in hell I'd be letting a child of mine play a game for 24 hours solid, with no breaks.

Whatever happened to parental responsibility? They can't feign ignorance on that surely. Doing anything constantly for 24 hours is damaging to your system. Surely thats common sense?

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Yes. Clearly, that child's problems went well beyond a video game.

Rather than blaming a video game, why didn't the 'addiction therapists' point the finger at the parent's utter negligence in this situation? Did that child play the game in a closet or something?

Ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I think this statement is absolute crap, I played wow for about 6 months, I used it for a maximum session of 5 hours once, which is bad to some but nothing to others.

It being compared to coc aine addictiveness is simply a joke.

People need to go outside more, see the tree's.. play in the rain, go camping, go fishing.

Not questing in mines fighting kobolds or whatever they're called.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I really never understood the fascination with WOW or any other MMORPG. To me, it's too much of a time waster, with no benefits unless you hack it and open up a shop. I've heard some people actually make a living off of WOW. Insane.

It simply never caught my interest. I switch in between fantasy/idealism, and reality constantly. Just can't understand why someone would subject their self to so much fantasy filled violence. Don't they realize they are desensitizing their self to violent action?

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I play wow. It's not bad. What draws people in is the connections they make with others in the game. I am a casual player and while the game is made based around a casual playing schedule I still find myself never being able to keep up with the hardcore players.

World or Warcraft is nothing compared to a game before it Everquest. Due to the game mechanics if you died your body could rot after so long and you would lose all of your gear. You lost exp every time you died above level 10 and it was much harder to gain levels in EQ. It was even rumored that someone committed suicide because of EQ (link).

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Yes, EQ was just as bad for "its time". We had a VP of customer care get fired over it.

He would take lunch, go home, and "camp" some timed "rare spawn" and not come back for hours... he also stayed up all night doing the same kind of things...

It isn't worth your job! It is just a game... a cartoon.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I am personally affected by this.

My Brother play WoW as an Officer in a guild. He hasnt had a job for 4 years, lives with my mother and even failed college because of the game.

I played for 2 years on and off, but just never got into it the way he has.

The worst part is, we dont know what to do with him. He wont get a job! He just seems to be stuck in this rutt. This year he even managed to not sign up for college classes because he had to 'raid.'

What's wrong with him??

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
This game is a menace. I know plenty of friends who sit and play this game. It ruined their relationships, social life, school and work. They do not realize it nor do they understand. I personally have never wanted to play because of it`s addictive nature.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Once upon a time there was a Caveman named Urg

Urg, had a serious issue with Fire, Urg burned to death one night before he was able to reproduce...

Apply that to the people who can't handle Computers and drugs and in 20-30 years the problem fixes itself

Not every one makes it through evolutionary leaps, sad fact of life

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
This is why people shouldn't play WoW, but instead play Vanguard!

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

That is funny as heck my friend...

and so, so true

kid has a seizure from WOW after 24 hrs lol, that's his body's way of telling him he's a complete Dork and to take a break

So he had a siezure... they do END

his friend outside on the skateboard for 24 hrs who crashes into a car won't ever be the same again... so BIG DEAL

I'd rather my kid play WOW than do things other teens are doing like

Huffing

and

Auto Erotic Asphyxiation

and

Meth

LOL, this is ridiculous

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
LMAO!!!!! Wow this is ridiculous.......
Really this is where warcraft turns into warcrack.

I have many friends that play this game and I admit I am a gamer but never play more than maybe 4 hours when I do play. Never did like WoW anyway.....

<< 1    3  4 >>

join