It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herbal/Natural Medicine/Neccessities

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
After reading threads like this, about herbal medication, or the soap making thread, I figured that it may be a good idea to put together a list of simple "back to basics" herbs and such that can be used, and possibly grown, and certainly traded, in a SitX Scenario.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Good idea actually, I'm suprised no one responded to this post.

I for one, don't really have any specific knowledge about this. I am however contemplating investing in a book called "Prescription for Herbal Healing" in the very near future.

I'd be interested in hearing what other people think.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I have a copy of Culpeper's Complete Herbal which is about as definitive a guide as anyone needs...but...pretty geographically specific to the British Isles. It is useful in that it includes descriptions on how and when to harvest for potency, how to prepare the plants and roots, as well as the curative potential of individual plants. Very useful book and highly recommended.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Red Clover Trifolium pratense

It is widely grown as a fodder crop, valued for its nitrogen fixation which increases soil fertility. For these reasons it is used as a green manure crop. Several Cultivar Groups have been selected for agricultural use, mostly derived from var. sativum. It has become naturalised in many temperate areas, including the Americas and Australasia as an escape from cultivation.

The isoflavones and phytoestrogens from Red Clover have been used to treat the symptoms of menopause.[1] Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should avoid ingesting Red Clover. It has also been reported that red clover can be used for therapeutic purposes for coughs, bronchitis, eczema, sores, scrofula and can be gargled for mouth ulcers and sore throats.[citation needed] It has been shown to contain compounds like caffeic acid that starve tumors and reduce inflammation.

Grows pretty much everywhere too.

Trifolium pratense var. pratense Widespread.
Trifolium pratense var. americanum Southeastern Europe (despite the name).
Trifolium pratense var. frigidum Mountains of central and southern Europe (Pyrenees, Alps, Balkans).
Trifolium pratense var. maritimum Southern Baltic Sea coast.
Trifolium pratense var. parviflorum Europe.
Trifolium pratense var. sativum Mediterranean region. Robust-growing, with hairless or nearly hairless foliage.
Trifolium pratense var. villosum Alps. Densely hairy foliage.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I would suggest at this time - to eat and
to get some PARSLEY and CILANTRO organic seeds for the future -

We are having some heavy metals issues in the atmosphere right now.
These two herbs will aid in riding your body of heavy metals.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
My mom knows all the naturopathic stuff... so I grew up with it and I always keep a good supply in the house.

I don't think I could live without parsley, mint, chamomile, cinnamon, goldenseal, garlic, feverfew, dandelion, horehound, comfrey, licorice, wild yam.. and a few others.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Goji Berry or Wolfberry Lycium barbarum

Wolfberry leaves may be used to make tea[32] and Lycium root bark (called dìgǔpí; 地骨皮 in Chinese) for traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) treatment of inflammatory and some types of skin diseases. A glucopyranoside and phenolic amides isolated from wolfberry root bark have inhibitory activity in vitro against human pathogenic bacteria and fungi.[33][34]

An early mention of wolfberry occurs in the 7th century Tang Dynasty treatise Yaoxing Lun. It is also discussed in the 16th century Ming Dynasty Compendium of Materia Medica of Li Shizhen.

Marketing literature for wolfberry products including several "goji juices" suggest that wolfberry polysaccharides have extensive biological effects and health benefits, although none of these claims have been supported by peer-reviewed research. Wolfberry polysaccharides show antioxidant activity in vitro[35][36]. Although the macromolecular structure of wolfberry polysaccharides has not been elucidated, preliminary structural studies appear to indicate that they exist in the form of complex glycoconjugates.[37][38]

Wolfberry also contains zeaxanthin, an important dietary carotenoid antioxidant, and a human supplementation trial showed that daily intake of wolfberries increased plasma levels of zeaxanthin.[39]

A May 2008 clinical study published by the peer-reviewed Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine indicated that parametric data, including body weight, did not show significant differences between subjects receiving Lycium barbarum berry juice and subjects receiving the placebo. The study concluded that subjective measures of health were improved and suggested further research in humans was necessary.[40]

Several published studies, mostly from China, have also reported possible medicinal benefits of Lycium barbarum, especially due to its antioxidant properties,[41] including potential benefits against cardiovascular and inflammatory diseases,[42][43] vision-related diseases[44] (such as age-related macular degeneration and glaucoma[45]), having neuroprotective properties[46] or as an anticancer[47] and immunomodulatory agent.[48]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
The green husk on walnuts if you cut it off and rub it on ring worm will get rid of ring worm.

If you have asthma and don't have an inhaler handy take a bit of salt (sea salt perferably) put it on your tongue and drink 8 oz of water and it will help you breath.

A tea made of dried holly leaves is suppose to open bronical airways.

I know this isn't herbal or natural but bleach water gets rid of poison Ivy.
It also seems to take the swelling, itching and sting out of fire ant bites.

valerain will relax muscles and helps put you to sleep.

oil of cloves helps tooth ache pain.

[edit on 8-3-2009 by napayshni57]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
If I had seen this earlier I would have responded asap!!The item I am looking for is a something natural I might have to rely on for serious pain if modern pharm becomes unavailable.

I have some back problems that I have been under treatment for, for many years. Herniated discs, trigger points, disc disease, and nerve damage are the culprits I fight every day.

Sometimes it gets so inflamed that I miss work and have to rely on a couple of prescriptions just to help me get through the day. I am very worried that nothing will be able to help me at some point (other than the evil drugs I am used to taking) and would like to know of some alternitive herb that is effective for pain.

Any ideas would be VERY much appreciated!
Thanks for the great thread,
FMF

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by fullmoonfairy
If I had seen this earlier I would have responded asap!!The item I am looking for is a something natural I might have to rely on for serious pain if modern pharm becomes unavailable.

I have some back problems that I have been under treatment for, for many years. Herniated discs, trigger points, disc disease, and nerve damage are the culprits I fight every day.

Sometimes it gets so inflamed that I miss work and have to rely on a couple of prescriptions just to help me get through the day. I am very worried that nothing will be able to help me at some point (other than the evil drugs I am used to taking) and would like to know of some alternitive herb that is effective for pain.

Any ideas would be VERY much appreciated!
Thanks for the great thread,
FMF

Papaver somniferum would be your best bet, it is easy to grow and reproduces itself ad infinitum. You can keep the seeds for ages too (cool dark place) as with most papaver's the seeds they can remain dormant for anything up to 60 years. You can therefore collect now in case of emergency. Seeds sown in early spring will produce flowers by August, if sown in August as early as June (depending on climate). Apart from the more recreational methods of use, traditionally for pain, the seed heads are collected soon after the petals have dropped and boiled in milk.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

So, after they are soaked then do I drink the "tonic" made from the flowers? If so how much, or how strong should it be? Can this be found in my local plant nursury?

I'm sorry if these are dumb questions, but I 've never heard of this before.
I am happy to see a reply to my question so quickly, because what led me to this thread was that I was going to post a new one asking asking for help/suggestions on this very topic. Voila! Seek and ye shall find!

Thank you!
FMF

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Haven't read the whole string...BUT, have a few bottles of WHISKEY or Vodka on hand are excellent for pain killers..right?..then, they double as a disenffectant......THEN, if depressed....well, what can I say. other than that, if I had to choose an herb #1 Golden seal, #2 Garlic, both can be used internally, and work especially well with the alcohol...next, get a book

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by fullmoonfairy

Have you tried accupunture?
Also, think superfoods!
Chlorella tablets can help repair and rebuild!
I take that everday with "Greenergy"!
Lots of water and fruit and juices!
Massage, water therapy, poultices, etc.
Good luck!

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

I've had acupuncture, physical therapy, deep spinal injections, triggerpoint injections, tissue massage, a hideous procedure called "tissue scraping"
and alot of other things. Also some all-natural "spray" that I ordered online from a Dr. So-and-so; waste!

I can tell when I haven't had enough water, oddly enough. It keeps the discs hydrated is my best guess on that. Aspirin and Tylenol is nothing more than sugar pills.

But I apppreciate your suggestions! and will write it all down. Yes, a book would be good! But, that's why ATS is here, right?
I just get tired of trying things all the time and would rather ask people directly who might have hands-on knowledge.

Thanks!
FMF

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Wow!

Thats too bad and I am very sorry to hear that.
I have saccrilization(fusing)of the lower spine so I know
it must not be fun.
You probably know the book "Back to Eden" already.
I have had some major relief from different forms of
chiropractor treatments.
One lady does a non-force technique that is very good!
Oh and lots of stretching!

[edit on 21-3-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

I haven't got my books at hand, but as soon as I do I will let you have more detailed instructions, the ones that I can find on line place a bias on recreational usage which if you are looking for a long term solution/useage will not help.

I am sure that you can buy the plants and seeds from a nursery, or for a water based tea you can grind up the dried seed heads which you would be able to get from a florist. But it is so easy to grow from seed I would always use that option, even if you haven't got a garden, find a patch of scrub land and scatter them there, they like any well drained soil, preferably a little on the sandy side and not too compacted. One plant produces several heads, and if you dead head regularly it'll keep on producing flowers right through the summer.

As far as I understand it, though it is illegal to drain the resin, it is perfectly legal to boil the heads to make tea or a milk-broth. It certainly is in the UK.

I'll let you have some more information when I can lay my hands on it. There are one or two other things that may help as well.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
In my opinion, most of us should be using Naturpathic and Holistic Healing instead of pouring money back into the pharmaceuticals anyway (in some cases I understand) - instead of just using the "basics" as a back up plan. But I guess, I'm a bit of a hippy in that sense.

Don't forget Essential Oils - for Aromatherapy healing.

Lavender - is Excellent for Headaches and Migraines, and it doesn't need to be diluted. Applying it to the temples in a circular motion, and inhaling a few breathes, alternating with clean air helps with getting rid of the pain. And usually, it's quicker then popping an Advil.

Clove Oil - is a GODSEND when it comes to toothaches. Okay, Okay, Bourbon probably helps too - but a vial of Clove Oil fits in your purse/pocket and you won't get in trouble for carrying around open alcohol. Apply 5 -6 drops on a Q-tip, and swab the gums, and the tooth that are causing problems.

* I just had 2 root canals done this year, and for this last one, I took NO pain medication, nor did I fill the prescription for the Toradol. Clove Oil numbs the entire area, and makes it possible to eat (which i was having problems doing) and it also, doesn't need to be diluted in a carrier oil.

Eucalyptus - is good for colds, and can be used as an antiseptic too. I believe that it should be diluted a little bit if applying to your skin (like around your nose - for decongestion or the chest). Burning in an oil burner, or boiling a pot of water with a few drops on the stove, or even applying it to a humidifyer works well.

Jasmine - is good for Anxiety, Menstrual pain and is also an aphrodisiac (
). But if you're pregnant, you should avoid it. It's also good for skin irritations (using it in a soap works well if you have acne issues)

Peppermint - Muscle Aches, bad breath, coughs etc. Can be used as an inhalant, added to bathwater, mouthwash, and baking soda for brushing teeth. It also needs to be diluted, and pregnant woman should avoid it as well.

Rosemary - Is good for headaches, muscle pain, and is a good antiseptic as well. Can be used in a bath oil, for massages. I think it has to be diluted as well, as it can cause irriation to some people, again, it can irritate skin if not diluted properly

* Rosemarry, Eucalyptus, and Pepperming - added into cocoa butter, or an unscented home-made lotion - works well for relieving muscle tension, and is great for sore legs.

Tea Tree - I swear by Tea Tree. Its great for Acne, Cuts, and Dandruff. I dilute it when using it as an antiseptic, just because it can burn a little bit.

Carrier Oils
- Almond Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Grapeseed Oil
- Jojoba
- Olive Oil
- Sunflower

Ecchinacea in an oil form (a few drops on the tongue) every day, will help stave off colds, flus, etc. I take 1000mg of it every day to avoid getting sick - it's a liquid capsule that I take, but having a few bottles of the oil is excellent.

Herbs

Aloe Vera - Remember back when your mom had the Aloe Vera plant in the living room, and would slice off a branch, cut it open and smear it on your cuts? No? Maybe my mom is the only one who did that...

Chamomile - Good for calming an unset stomach, but it is also a dieuretic, so you have to watch the intake, or you'll be peeing every five seconds.

Ginger - Anti-inflammatory. My mom grates this up, with some fresh lemon juice and hot water, and drinks this when she gets sick. Helps with sore throats...etc.

Garlic - Colds, Cogh, Bronchitis, Fevers, inflammation of the mouth etc.

Uva Ursi - Water Retention. Helps with flushing out the extra water you're holding on to, but is also a diuretic, so you have to watch the intake.

Valerian Root - Sleeping - having troubles sleeping? Avoid the sleep-aid and night-aid OTC drugs you can get at Safeway. Valerian Root is a healthier option to helping you drift into sleep. ]

Green Tea - Stomach Disorders, Vomitting, Tiredness. This has some caffeine in it, so watch the daily intake, as it can keep you up all day and night, and then you'll need the Valerian Root to help you sleep again.

There's a few there, but purchasing a couple of books on herbs and essential oils is a good idea for everyone, I think.

- Carrot

*I am in no way suggesting anyone stop any current medical treatment they are currently undergoing, nor am I suggesting anyone not visit a doctor for health problems. Just providing some examples of alternative medicines.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Honey, lots of it!
Get stockpiling. It's pretty cheap now but if our busy bee friends keep dying then it might get scarce.

Good for wounds (used to be THE method prior to antibiotics).
An ancient and proven foodstuff and preserve (microbes don't grow in it).
It lasts for ages (indefinately if sealed) and tastes great.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
"The Book of Herbs" by John Lust.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Salt

This stuff is well handy. Not only is it a preservative, but it's also real good for cleaning wounds, skin infections and the like.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join