It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan May Launch Interceptors to Counter North Korean Missile Test

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Japan May Launch Interceptors to Counter North Korean Missile Test

www.voanews.com

The Kyodo News Agency, citing sources from the Japanese Ministry of Defense, reports Japan will dispatch two Aegis equipped destroyers into the Sea of Japan that could potentially shoot-down missiles launched by North Korea.

Japan's government has not confirmed this report.

For the past few weeks, Japanese, South Korean and American intelligence agencies have been closely watching activity at a rocket launch pad on North Korea's east coast.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: review This Link: Copy the EXACT Headline: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

[edit on 3/7/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

"Japan really has no reason to be particularly worried. I think North Korea knows perfectly well the logic of deterrents," said Dujaric. "That is an act of war against Japan would be considered by the United States an attack on the United States, and would bring about the destruction of North Korea."

Well it seems things are starting to heat up over there. Japan is mobilizing some ships in a game of saber rattling I hope that's all this leads to and nothing more.

Little Kimmy wanted some attention well he is getting it all right. If he isn't careful he'll get the attention of some aggressive Japanese.

www.voanews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-3-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Whats your take on this situation?
Anybody think this cant spark something or boil over?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Slayer, how does this correlate with the treaty Japan signed with the US after WWII? I was under the impression it was the US job to protect Japan from attack.

As far as boiling over, I could see things going south in a heart beat.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Thats a very good question.
I think they are exorcising their right in international waters. I wouldn't doubt for a minute if either they requested the OK from Washington or they are doing this because of a directive made from the white house.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Japan has spent alot of time working with the US on Missile defence. If the NK's get thier rocket off and its going to overfly Japan Im betting they try to use thier SM-3's to knock it down.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I'm thinking now that if anything missile/rocket like leaves the ground in NK someone's gonna knock it out of the air... Japan won't want to be pushed about and made to look weak - remember they already had a NK missile fly right over Japan and end up in the Pacific.

And both America and Japan have the hardware right where it's needed (layer upon layer I would think) - I bet they (US and Japan) are keen to give the world a display of technological superiority... The yanks are yet to give the world a real world peek at that laser on the 747 - If I'd spent all that money on a shiny new laser I'd be showing it off. That should be very interesting if that is an option, but tried and tested meathods would probably be used - nothing worse than egg on your face)

I don't think it's gonna boil over in a very serious way, NK is going to look a bit incompetent - the thing could even simply blow on the launch pad all of it's own accord... rockets still aint 100% for any nation! Russia is probably gonna crank up the saber rattling a notch, NK and SK relations will sour a couple more notches - that's my prediction any way.

[edit on 3/3/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Yes they do have layers, but I doubt the US would use the midcource interceptors at Ft. Greely or Vandenberg in this scenario. It would only be one layer as the Japanese only have the PAC-3 and SM-3 and the PAC3 may not be viable against this threat.

So The Japanes Navy will use the SM-3 which as we saw last year can take down a satelite.

Im betting that Japan will get the THAAD before anybody else as it would give them 3 layer defenses being that close. And no doubt when operational an ABL will be stationed on Okinanwa

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Exactly I wonder if it will pan out.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Successful test involving a planned intercept of an Aries ballistic missile target by a SM-3 launched from an Aegis Cruiser.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
If it did boil over it would be raining missiles on south korea,it would be devastated.North korea has a silly amount of rockets/missiles just pointing south ready for the word.Although i have never really seen north korea as a REAL threat,they just want to be recognised and get some handouts for not doing anything crazy that they say they will do..they are under china's leash for the most part.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Sk and japan plus the US would just stand by and let that happen?
I think not.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

the Ironic thing is
in the last few years NK has been getting warmer with the US
(off the axis of evil) and other perks from the US
and the US says lookie here what NK is doing now thanks to us

and then NK turn around

Nuke Program back
and New Missile tests

Like a bad soap opra

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Its interesting and IMHO fits 3 scenarios

1) Crazy Kim is at it again and alot worse this time

2) Whatever happened to him a while back made him even more nutty and this is the after affect

3) He is totaly incapacatated and more hardline clique is now in charge

None of the scenarios are good.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

I dont know about the rest of you but that scares the heck out of me.
Then who exactly is running that monkey show over there and why do they have a death wish?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
great thread! this situation could go either way, time will only tell what is to become of this if anything. What is clear is that the global economy needs a really large war right now. If japan intercept and then N korea retaliate then we're in big trouble because it wont be long before the US have to get involved. But the big question is has the US given japan the orders to intercept? If you believe that the elites are planning WW3 then this would be an easy way to get it started.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceMonkeys

Well with war games going on, The Chinese harassing our navy and then ontop of that the whole missile deal I hear now that N Korea is going to pay China a visit

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
So when is NK suppose to launch this missile? Most of the time when this happens we get all sorts of reports about seeing it being fueled on the launch pad etc but not this time. Have they not even gotten to that point and if not, then why all the talk like a launch is imminent?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
So when is NK suppose to launch this missile? Most of the time when this happens we get all sorts of reports about seeing it being fueled on the launch pad etc but not this time. Have they not even gotten to that point and if not, then why all the talk like a launch is imminent?

I heard the 15th, /I believe.
From my faint memory..

Any help???

top topics

<<   2 >>

join