It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Isn't Just About Guns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
In reading some of the threads, I see that most of the topics center around guns and weaponry.

Don't get me wrong, firearms will definitely have their place in any survival scenario. However, if you think it through for a moment, you'll find that the greater need will be food, water and personal items...such as medicines.

Storing food isn't really that hard, and you can start today. Buying cans of foods in bulk is good, as is purchasing a quality vacuum sealer, some 5 gallon buckets (like they have at Home Depot) Gamma Lids (google for locations). with these products, you can seal individual portions of rice, beans etc.

Taking it a step further, mylar bag and some oxygen removers will make your goods last for years.

Now comes "how to cook" That leads to portable stoves and the like. Following close behind is a water filtration system.

Having a good library is a must for any survival minded person. Nuclear War Survival Skills is a MUST have as are any of the military first aid and survival books.

Guns are great and you've got to have some, but there is more to it.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
"Survival Isn't Just About Guns"

With a title like that, you can pretty much bet on this thread being about them.

There are lots of great threads here about survival techniques, vehicles, BOB (bug out bags), cooking... You name it, it's covered.

Sure there are a few threads about "your favorite survival weapon" etc., but most of the discussions here surround gun bans, gun legislation, and our 2nd Amendment Rights.

The usual suspects always come in crying about how all guns should be banned, then the other side chimes in with their arguments and it just ends up being the same thread as the last 30 on the topic.

Here are some relevant threads...

Creating a Bug out Bag
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Vehicles

Fishing

Cooking

Of course, I've only offered one example of each, but use the search function on this site as well as Google etc, there's tons of info out there.

Unless of course your intent was to get into yet another heated discussion about guns...

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I've said this in various threads in the past, for some people, a gun is the answer to everything. Doesn't matter what the problem is, 'gun' is always the answer.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
I've said this in various threads in the past, for some people, a gun is the answer to everything. Doesn't matter what the problem is, 'gun' is always the answer.

Exactly my point.

Perhaps those who post here can offer constructive alternatives to survival techniques other than the gun angle. Otherwise it will digress into the same old discussion.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
There are plenty of topics covering a variety of subjects on this site. It just so happens that at the moment, there are a few active discussions on firearms. You've created yet another. Firearms have their place, in fact, I wouldn't want to be without one for a variety of reasons, but in the end, they're no more or less important than other pieces of equipment.

And yes, you will run across a few people from time to time who think they're going to play Rambo if we ever have a collapse of civilization. If something like that were to ever happen, they wouldn't last too long.

Of course, the Chuck Norris wanna-bes are just as ridiculous, with their martial arts, super badazz ninja skillz. LMFAO. They're the opposite side of the same coin. They wouldn't last long, either.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by vor78]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by lernmore

Exactly my point.

Perhaps those who post here can offer constructive alternatives to survival techniques other than the gun angle. Otherwise it will digress into the same old discussion.

I'm actually interested in 'survivalism'. However, everything seems to be dominated by guns (which appears to be a predominantly North American take on the issue) or that it must relate to a some 'sitX' end-of-civilisation scenario.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Obviously shelter, hygiene, first aid, and food can be as important as anything else in a survival situation.

I need to do a little more research on cooking methods and recipes myself, I like to eat.

I'm familiar with game birds like Turkey, Chukar , Grouse, and Quail etc. I do know, from experience however, they're a little harder to get with a fishing pole than, say, a shotgun.

Google is my friend.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Exactly my point.

I'm actually interested in 'survivalism'. However, everything seems to be dominated by guns (which appears to be a predominantly North American take on the issue) or that it must relate to a some 'sitX' end-of-civilisation scenario.

Its precisely this angle that I stay away from those threads.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Obviously shelter, hygiene, first aid, and food can be as important as anything else in a survival situation.

I need to do a little more research on cooking methods and recipes myself, I like to eat.

I'm familiar with game birds like Turkey, Chukar , Grouse, and Quail etc. I do know, from experience however, they're a little harder to get with a fishing pole than, say, a shotgun.

Google is my friend.

I follow the thought of "store what you eat and eat what you store."

Sounds simple but I see too many people that store things like dried beans and have never cooked them. (takes hours btw)

Now is the time to figure out what to cook and how to cook them and make them taste good. After all who wants to be slammed after shtf and make crap to eat?

Turkeys, chuckar etc are great eating...so is squirrel and rabbit (although not too much rabbit as it is too lean)

A good quality pellet rifle would be a nice thing to have for squirrel and rabbit.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

"Survival Isn't Just About Guns"

With a title like that, you can pretty much bet on this thread being about them.

There are lots of great threads here about survival techniques, vehicles, BOB (bug out bags), cooking... You name it, it's covered.

Sure there are a few threads about "your favorite survival weapon" etc., but most of the discussions here surround gun bans, gun legislation, and our 2nd Amendment Rights.

The usual suspects always come in crying about how all guns should be banned, then the other side chimes in with their arguments and it just ends up being the same thread as the last 30 on the topic.

Simply put, this is one of the best responses to an OP I have seen on this site, hope the mods see that as well.

You are correct, all of the threads dealing with firearms end up a battle between the gunners and anti's until everyone leaves the thread in disgust. I try to stick to the ones only dealing with people defending themselves or current legislation.

That said, to the OP, you are correct. Firearms tend to get a good deal of discussion on here. Its a very passionate issue for some, and for others its a way to deal with other inadequacies. Survival is more than guns, more than gear, more than food. Its about thinking ahead and using the tools that you have or can create. Just as a shovel is a tool, so is a firearm, neither more important than the other.

There are alot of threads here dealing with survival issues other than firearms, as lernmore pointed out. Seek out the threads that deal with things other than guns, and you will find a wealth of information here.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I suppose you have a better way to get that baked-on-grease off of my pans?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I love this topic.

I live in the country and as usual, this weekend, I was trying working on my place. There is so much to living, even semi self sufficient, that I just never see discussed on the survival threads.

If I have time, I'll make a post about it today or tomorrow.

Excellent topic to discuss.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra

"That said, to the OP, you are correct. Firearms tend to get a good deal of discussion on here. Its a very passionate issue for some, and for others its a way to deal with other inadequacies. Survival is more than guns, more than gear, more than food. Its about thinking ahead and using the tools that you have or can create. Just as a shovel is a tool, so is a firearm, neither more important than the other.

Yes I agree wholeheartedly. It is a mindset.

Personally I think that when shtf there will be huge numbers of people that will 'do themselves in' because they cannot deal with life in another scenario.

My wife will probably be one of those. She's having a hard time during this recession/depression and I don't think she could handle somethjing like a nuke attack or bird flu raging across the country

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

easy off

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jmurman
In reading some of the threads, I see that most of the topics center around guns and weaponry.

Don't get me wrong, firearms will definitely have their place in any survival scenario. However, if you think it through for a moment, you'll find that the greater need will be food, water and personal items...such as medicines.

Hear hear, I vote this the best post of the month, Personally I was just considering dumping ATS because the " Guns are the only way" lobby are ruining the forum. On nearly ever good forum in the last few years you inevitably find more and more people who seem to think that buying an AR15 with all the silly gadgets and a millions rounds of ammo is going to ensure your safety and survival. I do believe strongly that a good gun is an essential tool in ones survival kit, but it is only that, 1 tool in a complete kit of survival tools. I know from personal experience as does most long term veterans, and so should most Brits and Americans that you can have an all singing, all dancing tactical assault weapons system with every possible gizmo fitted. But in the real world you will probably get taken out by the kid with the 22, the farmer on his own turf who knows the layout of the land, armed only with his mini 14 or 12 gauge shot gun.or even the country yokel with his crossbow. Its becoming clear to very many rational people including the OP that if some terrible event befalls the western world, there is going to be thousands of young and not so young dudes who think they can grab their BOB, grab their rifles,jump into their tarted up jeep, and rush off into the sunset to fight and survive another day. Boy are they going to get a reality check, I reckon there will be a bloody massacre of misguided people who think they will be able to bimble into someone elses community and dominate it because they have a gun.. these people have never learned the lessons of Malaya, Vietnam, Borneo, Northern Ireland, Bosnia, Chechnia, etc where the local with the IED or old single barrel has the edge of local knowledge and experience over the armed to the tertth rambo.

For the record the best gun to have is the same as the best knife to have, thats what ever you have in your hand when its needed.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
There does appear to be a growing consensus that the gun loons debate their obssession on a gun forum and leave this for survivalism debate ( which includes guns but only as a tool as part of ones kit)

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Suvival isn't about guns? Oh, noooooo...

Just kidding. You are very correct. All the guns in the world aren't going to do a bit of good if you don't know how to use it. Or what to hunt with it. Or the skill to hunt in the first place. Or, and this is the most important IMNSHO, the right attitude.

Attitude is key to surviving. All else stems from that.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
If survival was all about guns I would have put my BOB on Ebay weeks ago.

I've gone over this before but there are occasions when a general discussion thread becomes dominated by talk of guns 'n' ammo. I'm not pointing fingers 'cos you know who you are.

I can't really add much more to this as I'm not experienced enough to compare a pro to anti position. Like Wotan I usually just back off for these topics.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

I use Fairy liquid with a .50cal lemon zest...

...blasts holes in all those baked-on grime spots, makes the shrapnel smell lemony fresh, and leaves my hands as soft as a General's

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

Originally posted by Jmurman

I know from personal experience as does most long term veterans, and so should most Brits and Americans that you can have an all singing, all dancing tactical assault weapons system with every possible gizmo fitted.

LOL, I see them at the range all the time. Tacti-cool BDU's (skin tight too), jump boots, thigh pistol rigs, AR's with every accessory known to modern man and last but not least...the wrap around glasses.

Me? I'm the local yokel with jeans and a wood stocked hunting rifle.

It's called the "Gray Man" blending in and not standing out a mile away.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join