It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cause of Gray Hair is Discovered

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Attention parents: It's not your kids that are making you go gray. Your hair is simply building up too much hydrogen peroxide. Bottle-blondes may be a fan, but hydrogen peroxide, which is produced naturally in the human body, interferes with melanin, the pigment that colors our hair and skin.

The body also produces the enzyme catalase, which breaks down hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen. Or at least it does for a while. As we age, catalase production tails off, leaving nothing to transform the hydrogen peroxide into chemicals the body can release.

Link

Sort of makes you think twice before drinking Hydrogen Peroxide, eh?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
thats a pretty good one, it makes me think if this happens in older people then why do alot of younger people get grey hairs

flagged++

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
nice find.

finally my dad will have a proper excuse.

S+F

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
why are they spending time researching this pointless BS?

seriously, the world could have lived without knowing this.

[edit on 3/3/2009 by JPhish]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
its these things that keep people interested, anyway they obviously cant find a cure for cancer.. LOL

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by JPhish

but then you could say the same about most big scientific breakthoughs, i bet you would have said the same abut turings computer, marconis (teslars) radio, and newtons theory of gravity - real science doesn't aleays offer instant results, it was a few decades before the compter became useful

This helps us understand how the body works, the more we know the better we can look after it. I am glad they did this study, maybe it's conclusions will help discover hw other bits of the body work and help us on the path to fixng all the little problems we have,

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
So is there a pill that can help you break down hydrogen peroxide in the body.

I'm young and have lots of grey hair

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by JPhish

Because then they can make a pill or an ointment or a treatment to stop it. So they can make alot of spendollies, so they can retire and not go grey peacefully.
That is usually why they spend pointless time trying to solve problems of vanity.

p.s. If they know what causes the grey, shouldn't abductees be alot safer and happier now.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by atlasastro]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by JPhish

Because, we want to know things... Ever wounder why children want to know "pointless" things. they ask parents "why?" constantly or "how?" because we want to learn these things, it's like learning about ourselves before learning about anything else, ofcourse we could be researching other "important" stuff, but how do you define important? we're just some life-form on some planet living our lives, if you're thinking critically then yes, technically it's useless information.. but someone out there might need that information later on in life, say we find some new disease linked to greying hairs on the scalp or something(lol) they might need that "pointless" information for the new disease

Edit: You sort of get what i'm getting at, yeah?

[edit on 3-3-2009 by allsop]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I've had a few gray hairs since I was around 15 or so. This is an interesting hypothesis, but I think I'll stick with the theory that they're caused by stress and exasperation.

Who knows, maybe there's a link between that and hydrogen peroxide surplus.

Sort of makes you think twice before drinking Hydrogen Peroxide, eh?

That can be dangerous, anyway, especially the 35% concentration stuff! Don't do it:
www.snopes.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
I've had a few gray hairs since I was around 15 or so. This is an interesting hypothesis, but I think I'll stick with the theory that they're caused by stress and exasperation.

Who knows, maybe there's a link between that and hydrogen peroxide surplus.

Grey hair is a genetic thing, Severe stress may aggravate it, but stress has no link to grey hair. Unless you were going around like a maniac worrying about going grey.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I'm not convinced that stress is unrelated to graying hair. I had a traumatic (life-threatening) event several years ago and the next morning had a grey streak from root to tip. Just sayin'....

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
A year ago my gotee turned grey. I guess i was just far to stressed out. Need to lay off they hydrogen peroxide.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by universe attracts wisdom

I was mostly just referring to the aesthetics of that piece of 'folk wisdom', not it's scientific accuracy.

The role of H2O2 in metabolism is interesting, and there's a few cases of it being linked to genetic differences. One example, from the expression of the egr-1 gene in mice:

We then examined the expression of early growth response-1 (egr-1) gene, which is inducible by TGF-beta 1 and H2O2.

...the CArG element in the 5' flanking region of egr-1 was identified as an essential sequence in the transcriptional activation for both TGF-beta 1 and H2O2 stimulation. These findings suggest that H2O2 acts as a mediator for the TGF-beta 1-induced transcription of egr-1 gene.
jcb.rupress.org...

So it's reasonable to speculate that H2O2, and excess production thereof, may be involved in or resultant from currently unknown biological mechanisms in humans.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
There actually may be a natural remedy for grey hair. People who have stayed with meals of macrobiotic foods for at least a few months have reported reversal of their hair color from grey to its original color. One example is William Dufty, author of Sugar Blues. Some darkly pigmented foods that are high in particular antioxidants, hiziki seaweed and black sesame seeds being two examples, have been suggested as very helpful in the process of restoring original hair color.

I'm starting to get some grey color coming in myself, and I've just started using both these foods frequently ... time will tell.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I'd worry more about baldness than greyness. Nothing wrong with some grey highlights in your hair, which can be remedied by a great hair stylist. Now, if you're bald or have some synthetic rug attached to your scalp, those are real problems.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
When i get older and need a hair peice it will double as a cell phone.

And a lufa.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Uphill

I started going grey at about 13...now at 35 I am probably at least 60% grey...hard to tell as I don't have the nerve to let it grow out and keep colouring it back to my natural colour.

Uphill, let me know how that diet works for you, I'd be extremely interested in trying that! I hate putting out the money to my hairdresser... or the drug store when money's tight. If it meant I could have my natural colour back I'd eat almost anything!!

Michelle

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
There most certainly is treatment for graying hair. And there has been a non-toxic cure for Cancer since the 1960s and probably since the discovery of insulin. The book "Cancer: Curing The Incurable Without Surgery, Chemotherapy, and Radiation" by William Donald Kelley will tell you everything you need to know. His program and the one at www.healthexcel.com are the best available.
Graying hair is mainly a Copper deficiency. However, only Copper Sebacate, according to what I've read will fix it. Unfortunately, very few companies use that form and minerals are extremely antagonistic to wards each other. In other words, you have to get the balance right or you'll get serious problems, especially with trace minerals. Anti Copper nutrients are Vit.-C, Chromium, Manganese, Soy and most beans. I take 1 cap of Advanced Essential Minerals by vrp.com maybe 2 times a week. Too much copper and not enough Chromium can give you acne, dandruff, blurry reading vision, and can damage the heart. Copper is the most effective appetite suppressant I know of. Too much Chromium will make you gain weight and gray your hair. Different people need different balances. It's trial and error and very complex.
Avoid all Soy, Peanuts, Fluoride, Tap water, Beans, and learn your metabolic type. I don't mean to say copper is the only cause of gray hair, but it's the one that affecting me.

www.soyonlineservice.co.nz...

[edit on 3-3-2009 by Sargoth]

[edit on 3-3-2009 by Sargoth]

[edit on 4-3-2009 by Sargoth]

[edit on 4-3-2009 by Sargoth]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
You can get Copper Sebacate but I don't reccommend it because it only comes in 3-4 milligrams dosages which is crazy. It should be in the 100-200 microgram range. 100 mcgs. for ectomorphs, 140mcgs. for balanced types and 200 mcgs. for endomorphs. And the balance with Chromium, Manganese, Zinc, Iron is different for the different types. I just want to make sure people don't take it alone.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join