It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Obama sought Russian deal on Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Report: Obama sought Russian deal on Iran

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama suggested to Russian President Dmitri Medvedev that the United States would back off plans for a missile defense system in Eastern Europe in exchange for help stopping Iran from developing long-range weapons, The New York Times reported Tuesday.
Obama made the proposal in a secret letter that was hand-delivered to Medvedev three weeks ago, the Times reported, citing anonymous U.S. sources.
Russia has vigorously opposed the missile shield, which would include sites in the Czech Republic and Poland, since it was proposed by the Bush administration. The stated aim of the shield is to deter Iran from launching nuclear-tipped missiles at U.S. allies in Europe.
According to the Times, Obama's letter said the U.S. would not need to build the missile defense system if Iran's efforts to build a nuclear weapon were halted.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Wow.

I guess that sometimes I have no idea to make of what the President does, because often it is such a departure from the normal way things have been done.

What really caught my attention, was the "Tom Clancy" styled secret letter.

Didn't Obama get to keep his black berry for just this very reason?

All jokes aside, I can only argue that Iran has hated us for our support of Israel, and they(Iran) want Israel off the map.

How do you make that work?

Poor Georgia and Ukraine, jerked around for all this.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Very enlightning and eye opening post. Obama is flexing his muscle for the first time, negotiating over arms, with subtle threat overtones. I feel like every thing he does those will be done on very shaky ground.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

I just wonder at the sudden departure from three policies in one week.

1) End of proposed missile defense system that has cost billions already, and that is ingrained in multiple treaties.
2) We start "negotiations" with Iran.
3) We give nearly $1,000,000,000.00 to Palestine?

Let's hope that his judge of their character is good.

new topics

top topics

join