It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Financial Meltdown – Tim Page - Above Politics 55

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Homer and Martin wax about the £650,000 a year pension for Sir Fred "the shred" Goodwin, ex chief of British bank RBS, who have just posted the largest corporate loss in UK history of £24 billion. And Homer is pleased to have got his tax refund check unlike citizens of Kansas and California. We wrap the first part of the show discussing President Obama's pull out from Iraq.

"There is going to be pain in this for everybody" says Tim Page from the Trade Union Congress on the economic downturn. We talk to Tim Page, Senior Policy officer at The Trade Union Congress who leads on Economic and Industrial policy. "Now there have been lots of job losses in the UK and around the world as a result of the economical down turn and there are going to be lots more" say Tim who talks about the important of union membership and how unions work with management.

And then a Homer's rant!!!

ABOVE POLITICS Number 55, with Martin Bain and Homer Fife, from AboveTopSecret.com.
Show length is 45:11.
Direct link to show MP3 file: atsmix_3239.mp3 (16 mb)
Subscribe to ABOVE POLITICS in your favorite MP3 utility/player: ABOVE POLITICS RSS feed
Subscribe to ABOVE POLITICS in iTunes for your iPod: ABOVE POLITICS iTunes feed

ABOVE POLITICS is the alternative political program from AboveTopSecret.com, all content is copyright (2009) by AboveTopSecret.com and The Above Network, LLC, all rights reserved. No content of the program may be rebroadcast in part or in whole from any web domain other than ATSMIX.com or ABOVETOPSECRET.com without prior written permission of The Above Network, LLC.

International Reporters wanted for The Above Politics Show thread

The Above Politics Show Web Site

[edit on 3/2/2009 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I have to agree with Martin's comments that if Government ministers can not get all the facts for Sir Fred Goodwin pension what confidence can we have in them to led us out of these times.

Begs the question, if elected officals are the right way to go??

While the losses posted by RBS are large, the vast majority of the losses are technically rather than trading losses, are are due to the write down of assets as part of the take over of a Dutch bank.

The union interview was certainly interesting and to hear that the TUC want to work in partnership with business, is a big change as I remember the power of the unions in the 1970s.

Another great show to get me thinking.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom ERP

Thank you for listening Freedom ERP.

And the whole issue of the competence of our elected leaders and their ability to understand complex issues is another issue.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Hey Homer...

Why is it that labor unions support the liberals? I've thought of the liberal ideology as more of an idealistic ideology.

Wouldn't it be better for business for the labor unions to work with the conservatives or the libertarian types? I'm more on the libertarian end of the spectrum and I think that it makes little sense to me why labor unions work with a party that is anti-business.

Seems like a bit weird don't you think?

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Unions?? Are these the same unions that would rather it's members lose their jobs than take a small pay cut... way to go jerks, just like the politicians, I guess you know better than us.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Lots of people seem to think Fred Goodwin engineered this for some reason.

They also believe he has the biggest bonus of them all.

He is one of the smallest.

They are all tiny little puppets and he is the smallest within the small at that.

Why is he getting the most judgement?

Yes he made the biggest loss but he walked away with one of the smallest sums.

MSM is infecting your judgement people.

Point the finger at one? Why not point the finger at the whole lot of them?

[edit on 16-3-2009 by XXXN3O]

new topics

top topics

join