It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Language of Universal Symbols Discovered

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
To me, this gives more proof to the bible and the tower of babel.
Not a race of humans that were here before us with 'adanced' technology, if that were true...why write it on rocks?
(i saw this in a post in this page) If a virus had come and the people had to leave earth, then the vrus would of still be here, it doesnt dissapear by magic.
There is no proof for that advanced human theory, theres no technology being un-earthed and so on.
To say something about another post i saw, Why leave as much info as they can before they died out? they wouldnt be writing to anyone, if they were dieing then theres no point in writing all this info. The equivalant to that is writing a letter before everything on the planet becomes extinct.

It just meansthat back in the bible days we all spoke one language.

I do not beleive in evolution, there is no valid proof for it, there arnt even new species popping up or some chimp in the middle of evolving. I believe the earth is much younger than we think. So the idea of a civilization before humans is crazy to me.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by Redfield]

[edit on 2-3-2009 by Redfield]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Now this is a heck of a find! Real data that opens up the imagination to what was going on with this.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Redfield

I don't see any of your conclusions having a foundation in analytical thinking. It seems to be a way to add things up to fit your religious views. Evolution is going on every day in viruses to man, just like building a resistance to a germ, evolution is a fact.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Redfield

A few questions please. Other then mythology just what does human symbolisim have to do with the the tower of babal? Why write things on rocks, oh please rocks stick around. No a virus does not disapear by magic thouh I have heard a few so called religious poeple believe this. truth is they evovlve. Why leave so much when they died out?? Guess what? that pop bottle you drop out of your car last week will change very in the next 1,000 years. No doubt some jerk will worship that.

By the way, please do your homework the good books words designed to scare children under their beds when then storms comes. The language with the bible is fear. Don't believe in evolution you poor boy, take a super dose of antibiotics and when you really need them they will prove useles because like every thing else prey to God you to will evolve, don't worry it doesen't hurt. I also pray to my God of grace and peace you will evolve or at least try to grow up.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

BFO

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
yes, great first post. much better kudos than anything i've done

Two problems with the explanation however, 1700 BCE is not old enough for a common language. 1.) We have written records from Iraq that beat it by around 2 thousand years - and Chinese from times in between that are already completely different "linguistically".

2.) You can not reliably date rock at all. Which then may invalidate the inconsistency mentioned in "1.)" above. Thus, they could be 17 THOUSAND years old for that matter - and that would put it well past the realms of the possibility of the original Atlantis - not Santorini or Minoan - but waay back. Then cool, I'll bite. How else do you explain the "atl" phoneme found all over the western hemispere in completely different languages prior to European invasion?

[edit on 3/2/0909 by BFO]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
you can also watch Graham Hancock-quest for lost civilization on youtube videos 1-14. The video is very great

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Edgar Cayce had a lot to say about ancient civilizations, so I figured I'd chime in with a few things that he mentioned whether you wanna buy into it or not is up to you.

He said that at one time, alll humans on earth spoke one language. I believe the bible says this as well. Is it not true that sanskrit has been found all over the world?

He also claimed as the mormans do that a tribe of hebrews ended up in the SW United States. Seems far fetched to me, but Cayce has always been a favorite. I don't know how much of what he said was true, but I do think he thought it was real and that gives it a little more value then something some scam artist(Blossom Goodchilde...etc...) made up.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skydancer
You might want to ponder this link. I actually have hiked to this rock a couple of time in 1998 when living in New Mexico.

windwalkerscouts.org...

That one's a modern fraud.

How can you tell?

* The outline of the letters is "too white" and not weathered enough.
* It's the PROTESTANT version of the 10 Commandments (not the older Catholic one.)
* To the Jews, those are just the divisions of the laws. They actually have 613 commandments. They would never bother writing the 10 Commandments because this is a relatively unimportant verse to them.
* The style of Hebrew used didn't appear until after 1700 AD.

The Ten Commandments become culturally important after the building of the big Christian churches... sometime about 300-900 AD.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by BFO You can not reliably date rock at all. Which then may invalidate the inconsistency mentioned in "1.)" above. Thus, they could be 17 THOUSAND years old for that matter

You'll notice that the original article mentioned heavily patinated rock. This patina is generally organic in nature and is able to be dated under the right conditions.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
[edit on 2-3-2009 by agent00duece]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Kliskey

What an AWESOME view you have.
Very cool pics.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raud

5. The picture with the carvings...they look pretty "painted on". They are in way too good shape to have been there for so long, battered by weather and wind...

Geez...

I noticed this also, its a very good point in my opinion.

Originally posted by Raud

6. "The Daily Galaxy"? Never even heard of.

Well I have been getting my daily dose of science news from that site for about 1 year now. Its been cutting edge, but I'v never seen them post out right BS.

I hope they don't end up with egg on their face for this bit.

Alot of informative, well thought out replys here. Thanks everyone.
Very intelligent community here.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Nice one fred.

Do you have the source info? what were these symbols? please dooo tell me, I would be interested.

regards to all

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Butcherbay

Nice information do you think this has enything to do with aliens?

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Just my two cents. The "ancient relics" do indeed share a resemblence to the ancient Phonecian alphabet that was prevalent in the ancient indo-european areas from Turkey to Iraq to Egypt from at least 1,000 BCE to around the end of 200 BCE. BUT, the "researchers" noted that the method they used to translate the "artifacts" was based on the Old Hebraic language, which is poppycock. The "translater" used Old Hebrew where it was convenient to the translation. Needs a closer look.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Well, I'll take away the fact that Dr. Harris is doing research for Brigham Young U, so, considering the story of the Book of Mormon, this would be a convenient prop-up of religious ideology - disregarding facts about how language change works.

The date mentioned for the two sites is not long ago enough to purport links. IF we were to really hypothesize about a common ancestor for all human language (and what this article is really saying is written language), we would have to go much further back.

Coincidences in symbols deal with geometric shapes (which are universals) and nearly ubiquitous natural earthly phenomena (mountains, trees, water, animals). An "omega" symbol from Sweden does not mean that it is approximating the "omega" of Greek writing. Consider the swastika and the spiral for examples of varied meanings to a common symbol.

Another poster also mentioned similarities between Gaelic languages (in Northwestern parts of Europe like Scotland, Ireland, Galicia [Spain] and Breton [France]) and Native American languages (from the Northeast of the US). For proximity, one could hypothesize boat travel as a way for this to happen. However, it is believed that there was an ice bridge between northeastern US and Canada and Northwestern Europe. The problem here is that this bridge would have existed long before (in the last ice age) the appearance of Celtic settlements in those regions of Europe (around 4-6000 years ago in Spain, France, Central Europe and the British Isles). If there was human migration across an ice bridge to New England, it would have been non-PIE (Proto-Indo-European speakers). So, in that case, you'd be looking at the ancestors of the modern Basque people...but really ancient ancestors at that!

Note for those of you who are not big language folk: Proto-Indo-European is the theorized original language that all modern Indo-European languages descended from. So, that includes English, Portuguese, Czech, Hindi, Farsi (and for that matter, several other languages spoken in central Asia, Afghanstan, Pakistan, Iran and India), Greek, Russian, Spanish and French and numerous others in Europe.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I watched the videos, very interesting.I see where the points are around the globe marking these sacred sites, it seems as if one is missing. Does anyone else see that and where would that be on the planet...Atlantis?

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
OK, I read the entire thread and visited the links.

I think that this is a very interesting article and I find it facinating that similar carvings have been found in Yemen, Australia, North and South America.

I do have one thing to say to those who are saying that the symbols are too white, or look photoshopped. If you followed the links, the caption under the photo very clearly states that the symbols have been enhanced with aluminum powder at the site. So, this explains why they are so starkly contrasted with the darker colored rock. It is amazing what you can learn when you read the captions.

Anyway how can we possibly explain these findings. There are a few possibilities.

1.) The obvious one, and the one that so many have jumped to, is the idea that they are a hoax. OK maybe, but it would have to be a very well traveled hoaxer. The New Mexico carving was known, and documented, prior to 1850. There were precious few people who knew ancient Hebrew or Phoenician text styles prior to 1850.

The hoaxer would have to have been in Brazil, Yemen, New Mexico, Colorado, AND Australia. Well, Australia at that time was pretty much the wild west, and the wild west at the time was THE WILD WEST. There could not have been more than a handfull of people at the time of the original discovery of these carvings, who had the knowledge to do it, even fewer who would have access to all of these places.

Egyptology at the time was a brand new science and they were mostly focused on Egypt and Palestine, it would be generations later that they branched out to Yemen, Somolia, Etheopia, etc. The study of ancient Hebrew and Phoenician writting was the domain of the ivory halls of academia, not the domain of a hoaxer tripping through indian country.

Add to that the danger and difficulty of travel to Australia at that time. A journey like that would take years and might end with tragedy. Similarly a trip to Yemen by a (presumed) European? All to perpetuate a hoax?

I don't think that the hoax theory can hold up under the facts.

2.) The inscriptions could be genuine but the interpretation could be wrong. This is very possible. Others have pointed out that very different languages often share similar symbols. This is very true. What I find interesting though is that the translations that have been produced seem to be coherent. This would be a very difficult trick to pull off with differing languages. Still, I can't rule it out.

3.) The carvings are the result of a highly traveled ancient civilization. I find this to be the most likely explanation, given the dating of the patina of the rocks, and the carbon dating of the wood timbers in a collapsed mine at the Yemeni site, which also had similar symbols inside. So, the question is who could have done it?

I find it interesting that there is a Phoenician connection. The ancient Phoenicians were one of the only ancient cultures who developed ship building to a level that would have allowed a deep ocean voyage. They had ships that were more than capable of crossing the Atlantic. In fact some of their ships were more sea worthy than those of the Spanish explorers, bigger too. So put a point in the Phoenicians column.

One of the other technologies that would be required is navigation. The Phoenicians were very experienced astronomers and they knew the night skys by heart. Phoenician sailors also knew how to navigate using the stars and they were one of the few cultures who dared to sail beyond the horizon, because they knew how to find their way home. They also developed map making to a high degree. So, the Phoenicians get another point.

Whoever undertook these travels would need a reason to do so. It should not be too surprising that the Phoenicians had a highly developed sea trading culture. So, they might be motivated to seek more distant shores.

So, I think you can see that I think that most evidence points to the Phoenicians. As for the similarities with ancient Hebrew, who knows? Maybe they caught a ride?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join