It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Language of Universal Symbols Discovered

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I've known about this. I've heard stories, that we were once a culture of one. That all man was together. Recentley they found a 1.3 million year old footprint fossil.

This means, that human civilizations have come and gone several times over.

We could have had spaceships two times over already. Lets say 50,000bc we have super advanced technology. And a virus came and reduced our people's numbers from 1 billion to 10,000.

The best way to stop virus would be to move away from the city. When people scatter, and move away, culture, art and science are lost. People are more concerned with survival than creation of society.

And that is how it could have happened. But that is just a speculation. To give people something extra to discuss.

You just act like we are the first and most advanced humans ever. But really, it only takes 200 years for plants to completely overgrow a large building and turn it back into soil and dirt.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by newspig
Well, speaking as a former journalist and long-time science writer, I have to say this story is specious.

Very good catch (I'm the one who studies rock art.)

While the first source is legitimate, he isn't saying there was a universal language ... If you read it carefully, he says the symbols he studied were "proto-Canaanite."

They are... but there's no good information about when they were written. I could have written them yesterday.

Then, all of a sudden, you have this "amateur archeologist" being quoted ... saying there is some sort of ancient universal language, insinuating the two sources somehow agree ... this is an old tabloid journalism trick ... you quote a good source and then inject comments from some questionable source back-to-back, making it appear that their comments are mutually supportive ... at any rate, it is bad journalism.

It's been discussed here before, and what they are doing is cheating. They cherry pick a few inscriptions from one site and a few from another site and keep it up till they have "Mysterious Biblical Inscriptions." They don't look at the whole site and they don't check the age.

It's similar to picking out a selection of books from your library (from Nancy Drew to Jules Verne to Noam Chomsky to a bio of Obama), grabbing 1-6 words out of each, and making a "startling prediction about 2012."

I've seen a number of sites and have studied a few. While several have stories (some done within historical times so that the tale is well known), others are cultural and the meaning is partly known. Still others are so old that we only have scraps of what's going on.

For instance, I have been to all of these rock shelters and have photographed and color enhanced them to make the images brighter, and I can certify that there's absolutely nothing there like the "universal language." There is quite a bit there about the rituals, and many of the sites are multicultural (done over a 1,000 year period):
www.bradshawfoundation.com...

Some of the ones similar to those I saw in Hawaii, including holes for the umbilical cord of a baby (cultural practice) and journey circles showing how many times someone had walked the full circumference of the island:
www.pbase.com...

A Chumash cave (I"ve been there) with deities and stars and the supernova that caused the Crab Nebula:
www.darkstar1.co.uk...

No universal writing. None of the cultures knew about 2012... and they didn't keep dates the way we do. The idea of counting to future years was not something they practiced... and many of them had no experience with numbers higher than a hundred or so.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
lotsa people like the idea of a very widespread common language. some are not cranks or zealots at all.

Another defining feature of Upper Paleolithic culture is its potent infectiousness. Innovations no longer flare up in little pockets and disappear. They metamorphose and diversify and inspire innovations. According to White, the ivory beads made in one site in France 33,000 years ago are exactly the same, in raw material, workmanship, and design, as the ivory beads in another French site two hundred kilometers away. Yet the ones from Germany are utterly different, bespeaking another tradition, another variation on the theme of bead. The Aurignacian industry itself is characterized by an abundance of large, unbeautiful blades, "beaked" buries, and carved-bone projectile points whose bases had been split to accept a shaft. The earliest known Aurignacian sites are in the Balkans, around 43,000 years old. Three thousand years later at the most, the Aurignacian appears across the continent in Spain. Within a few thousand years it covers most of the rest of Europe, picking up regional styles and acquiring new complexions as it goes. This is not simply a little more culture than there was before. For some reason, culture has become an epidemic.

"After two or three hundred thousand years of nothing new," says Berkeley's Tim White, "suddenly, in a tiny segment of time, after this huge gulf of nothing, you've got everything. There's one style over here and another one over there; there's trade, there's art, there's differentiation, all of this stuff just blowing up in your face. So you say to yourself, how come?"

Tim White is a demandingly meticulous researcher, one who does not like to waste time with speculations on grand questions. But on this one, he hardly hesitates a moment before answering his own question. "There's only one thing that I can think of that is big-time enough to render such a huge behavioral shift," he says. "It's got to be language."

It seems almost too obvious. Take any other innovation - a bone harpoon, for instance - and lay it down on the landscape. Now wrap it up in words. How to make it. How to use it to catch fish. When to expect what sorts of fish to arrive at what time of year, and communicate that information to others with whom you have dealings. How to have dealings. How to fillet fish in long thin strips and dry them on racks, extending their nutritional benefit into a future-a concept incommunicable without language. How to organize a cooperative fishing strategy and trade fish for other goods. While we are at it, how to name the river god and seek his intervention so that the catch will be plentiful. Which innovation will travel faster: the naked harpoon, or the one dressed up in language? Language similarly greases the flow of other ideas and inventions-new hunting tactics, new ways of constructing a hearth, preserving meat, or tanning hides. These may have been conceived of before. They may even have been a part of life in one isolated area or another for a thousand years. But language supplies the medium needed to send them zipping across space, human group to human group, brain to brain. It explains the contagion, the pumping up of the cultural volume, even the Neandertals' demise. One has only to imagine two populations, one talking freely among themselves and the other communicating only with grunts and gestures. If they came into competition, would there be any doubt which would survive and which vanish? No wonder so many influential evolutionists from different disciplines ponder the Upper Paleolithic and converge on language as its prime mover: paleoanthropologists like Tim White, archaeologists like Lew Binford, Desmond Clark, Paul Mellars, and Richard Klein, geneticists like Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza and Allan Wilson before his death, to name just a few.

maricopa

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Mon Mar 2 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Very informative Bryd ty ..

i would also like to drop in to the convo .. that IF this is a global language from some ancient civilization that spanned the entire planet... why didn't they use Paper? to write on .. or some other media storage device (from tablets to futuristic digital media or beyond??)

The ONLY reason i can think of is a cataclysmic event, and the survivors trying to leave as much info around before they all died out.

I certainly believe in the possibility of many , many other human or otherwise civilizations having existed on earth in the past, this does not look like it is linkd to any of them.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Butcherbay

Interesting. One of the researchers is from Brigham Young University, and the site is in Colorado.

I believe but may be mistaken that the Mormons (BYU) believe that a 13th tribe ws running around North America and Jesus visited them after his death, or something like that. This global civlization would probably add evidence for their beliefs.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Parta

Thank you very much for this topic with it's accompanying links. I followed them all and read the sobering realities that they portrayed.

It does explain why our government is spending like there's no tomorrow, that being that they don't believe that there will be a tomorrow as we've known it. It also explains why all of those seeds are being saved at that location up north now.

But perhaps on the bright side, a new golden age will be ushered in as many mystics have claimed it would bringing an end to this most atrocious iron age. I guess all that we're left with is hope that such will be the case.

In any event I think it's really a shame that elitists would only make enough room for themselves and to hell with everybody else. All could be saved I believe. But, well....

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
You might want to ponder this link. I actually have hiked to this rock a couple of time in 1998 when living in New Mexico.

windwalkerscouts.org...

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Butcherbay

Researchers say this possibly points to a common ancient language.

Before the tower of babel and before the kingdom of heaven was taken by the violent the world more than likely was one with no division. That is no division of mind and they probably could communicate with each other. After the heavens were polluted this no longer occured and communication was cut off and controlled.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
You don't need to have ONE language to communicate with each other.

How your brain processes language proves that. Particularly since geographically close areas tend to have languages that have similiar sounds and sound-meanings.

Why is everyone under the impression that people couldn't learn to speak another language - another very similar language usually.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Hmm, I need to chime in with the sceptics here.

1. Tried to find some valid information about this Dr. James Harris. What I found as 100% match was a patent agent of some sort, who had once studied at Brigham Young University.

2. His amateur archaeologist buddy is no valid source.

3. I read many scientific magazines and such, all the time, I have never ever heard about this.

4. Most posters on this thread that support this find have a score under 500. Some even under 100. Now, I am no veteran either, but it seems strange.

5. The picture with the carvings...they look pretty "painted on". They are in way too good shape to have been there for so long, battered by weather and wind...

6. "The Daily Galaxy"? Never even heard of.

Conclusion:
Move along people, nothing to see here...

Geez...

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kliskey
One of these so called sites in South America is in Rio, Brasil. On one of the big rocks/mountain (though not quite), Its called Pedra da Gávea or Gavea rock

It just so happens that I used to live in Rio and that I used to climb this rock once every couple of months with friends.

I lived in Rio for 4 years, and only towards the end did I hear about these inscriptions.

Anyhow, I did my research and went up there several times to find them but I never had any luck

Most of the locals and historians think that they are rumours only.
However, it has been said that this rock was carved to look like one of the Phonetician kings, and depending on the angle you can kinda make out a face.

I always like to see a poster with first hand knowledge of a subject.

and what an amazing view you had! I love stories like these, rumors or not, they are very interesting.

link   

Looks like a rather lame photoshop to me.

Be weary of the priest cast trying to fabricate religion based on supposed antiguity.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by Zepherian]

link   
It's interesting, as long as people aren't confusing commonly occurring symbols with actual alphabets. No matter where people were in the world several thousand years ago, certain signs and symbols would naturally occur in their daily lives. A three-toed bird foot print. Animal prints of various kinds. The round sun and moon. Winding waterways. Male and female symbols. And so on.

Even little children who have had no formal education tend to make the same kinds of symbols when they try to draw. Stick figures, huge heads with no bodies, houses, "m"s for birds, etc.

So it's not surprising that certain symbols would be found all over the world. The question, obviously, is whether or not they worked together to form a real alphabet that could be read from one culture to another. I don't see where anyone has ever proven that.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I don't know if anyone else checked the mondovista site.It has a link about the
U.S. military sealing off one of these sites in colorado.
They plan to use it as a firing range.no public access.

sorry don't know how to post the link.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

Yea that does look photoshopped. White lines going over the cracks in the rocks?

Not one line?

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Inscription rock in New Mexico has also been closed off. Today its privately own land belonging to the Comanche Tribe. They chose to protect it from vandalism.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by rixhell Notice the Omega symbols on the petroglyph , i`m no historian, but was it not years leater when the Omega symbol came to use?

Interesting catch, there. I'd venture to say, though, that there is no association between that symbol and 'omega'.

What you're looking at more likely represents a cave entrance, a womb, or some sort of limnal experience...where one enters a place to undergo a transformation. This is generally of a spiritual nature, and I think that is what the pictograph depicts...IMHO...

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by rixhell

No, Omega is an ancient Greek symbol, way before that period.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette
This guy is a professor for Brigham Young University, and I can find no legimate research done on the matter other than what he and Dann W Hone have done. Knowing that the Mormon church claims that Jesus lived in America and that the indians are some lost tribe of israel, it's not surprising that this professor seems to find evidence to support this when no other archeologist ever has.

Oh god here we go....

Here is some info you may not know:

BYU has many professors that are not mormon. BYU's professors and researchers abide by all the same rules and regulations that any other university does. Even if a single professor had a special personal religious based agenda, he wouldn't get far without being fired. They teach evolution in science class. They have to operate this way to be an accredited university.

When it comes to archeology, BYU has some of the best mid-eastern and south american researchers and professors there are.

It was also a BYU professor that has done the best work so far to show that WTC 7's collapse was fishy. How was that "mormon influenced"?

I see no evidence that this guy is making any types of claims. He, so far, has simply shown his work. He didn't publish a book. He isn't teaching a class on it. He isn't writing his findings in any journals of science that I can find.

It's obviously all very preliminary. So back off the anti-religious angle for now.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by thrustbucket]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I always had problems of mass migrations of like peoples with like customs spreading around the world in a generation or so. (To much longer, and customs can change...) While I feel much of our past and its amazing achievements has been lost, that might explain some reasons we follow similar behaviorial motififs as a species.

Humans are creatures who demand order in their lives. Religion ptovides perhaps a false impression, but an impression of order non-the-less. Religous symbols have long facinated me because their effect seems to begin with a "regognition", then with some bloddy preacher screaming in your ear telling you why that symbol is so important.

All humans and we think several other animals are drawn to and intrigued by symbology. Why? In code breaking we seek out and remove the mystery of the multitude of symbols used. When we are afraid, or just fear the night we invent those codes that give us solace. But to give us peace and gather meaning from symbols, I think it starts at the biological level. Biology in my mind is the key to understanding this. Why does certain music give us pleasure, it tweaks the parts of your brain that trigger a cascade enhancement. Other term fot pleasure. And those religious symbols? I strongly feel the same bioconstruct applies. Why do we admire art? We seek and need patterns for our survival. Fail to distingwishish the face of a friend from an enemy, and you die. Have a nice day.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join