It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was ATS like in the olden days?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Spartannic

I call it the 2yr itch.

It takes a good deal of that time to work through the topics on here.

I was brought by researching Vrill/Foo fighter/UFO sightings during wartime,found interesting posts regarding Area 51,and joined up,lost original ID and rejoined again 3 yrs ago because it was supplying News I couldn't get access to in the M.E.

Again it took 2 yrs to get through the topics that took my interest,a lot of which now have more scientific facts to disprove/prove them.

I now reside mostly in BTS to avoid the 'heavy stuff' and the influx of undesirables that seem to be making it a profession to bring down ATS to their IQ level.

I still use it for up to date news and intelligent people's thoughts on the headlines.

Still around waiting for the biggie to hit though.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
What I hate about the ATS forum is the way the mouseover effects lock up my IE4.0 when looking at the topic list pages,.......

oh,...wait,....that was in 2003,...ok,....lemme think,...

I remember when you got a u2u from admin about site news or changes,...it would say at the bottom,...

"message sent to the 200 (or so) members that have been online in the last 30 days" (or something like that)

Now it's like,...thousands

Those were the days

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by smirkley

I remember when notifications for U2Us were in the right hand corner in simple text. I was terrified of receiving them.

In those days, I seemed to inadvertently break every rule written. Gave me a real U2U phobia.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Well since I've been here I can say two things.

The site itself - the nuts and bolts - have been refined a few times, and generally those refinements have been for the better.

As for the content - society and habits have changed - and not necessarily for the better. People seem to be much more argumentative, impatient and bloody minded, and that spoils some of the topics that get put up. No one seems to want to listen (read!) anymore - its all just reaction.

The number of times I see "I haven't read the thread but..." and its the same question that was posted on page 3, and has been clarified or answered but someones just not been bothered to read it, and the discussion then stagnates around answering it again.....

There are good topics, and good discussions that still go on though, and I don't think that will ever change. Its just a case of finding them patiently.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
The "ATS Isn't What It Used To Be" threads used to be better.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
What was ATS like in the olden days?

Well, it was kind of hard to make posts on the forums before the internet or computers were made. But then again, we really did not have much to talk about before Roswell happened.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
NYGDAN was here. Suddenly he was gone.
I liked him. I wonder where he is. And Sugarlump. And a few others.
It's strange. You get used to certain people and look forward to seeing
them, and then POOF they are gone. And you don't know why

Yeah, when I first joined, there was this member called 'silver6ix'. I really enjoyed that guy's posts. But one day, poof, he just disappeared, I often wonder what happened to him.

He really made the UFO forum extra interesting, it's so sad that's he gone now, he probably won't ever come back.

Speaking of ATS changing and what not, I was a lurker here for like a year before I actually joined. At first glance, you'd imagine this place as a bickering hell hole, and it may seem that way when you first start posting, but then you really start to meet people you have a lot in common with, and you can get really close to them; in a manner of speaking.

In essence, I can't think of a better place to meet such intelligent and informative people than ATS.

The only changes that happened, have probably been increase in the total amount of members, and the software upgrades of course. Other than that, when I look back at many of the old posts from 04 05 06 and so on, they look and feel the same as nowadays posts.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
abovetopsecret.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">ATS Circa Oct. 1999
ATS Message Board Circa Dec 2001
...And 2002

I had a lot of fun looking these up. Seems ATS was started by people just as crazy as we all are!

Oh how time and fame can get to people...

I joined about a year and a half ago. Aesthetically, it hasn't changed a lot, but I find the threads by the real thought-provokers aren't popping up as much.

[edit on 3/4/09 by SantaClaus]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

I think it's called getting banned.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

Originally posted by SaviorComplex
I think it's called getting banned.

Nope, he never got banned, he just left us for some odd reason. The guy hasn't come back since November 8, 2008

Here, check out his profile;

silver6ix profile

As you can see, his account is still active.

Edit to add: Savior, don't you think it's strange that; he left with 888 posts, 8 applause's, last visit was November 8 2008 ?

Pareidolia at it's finest lol

[edit on 4/3/09 by Majorion]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Anyone remember Pisky?

I always thought he was Zedd

Ive been here since 2002, lost my username so made this one in 2003. The site has changed alot, it use to be waaayy too much drama back then.

Obviously the layout, overall look of the site is slick now compared to what it was. But you can't tart up something and then think its as good as what it was.

jra

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus
abovetopsecret.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">ATS Circa Oct. 1999
ATS Message Board Circa Dec 2001
...And 2002

Wow... those brought back some old memories.

I think the "olden days" seemed better due to the smaller amount of members, so there was probably less drama when compared to now. But I think ATS is just as good, if not better, than it was back then. Its really changed and grown a lot over the years and the ATS staff have managed to keep this place fairly organized and orderly even with the nearly 158000 members. Which is one of the reasons that keeps me coming back.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Nice responses,

A question for the old timers:

I came here after view-counts were abolished. Does anyone have a rough, approximate idea of how many views a thread like this might get:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

Do you think it would reach more than 1000 people?

Please give me a basic idea cos I have absolutely no clue.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by HiAliens

It's impossible to guess what your thread would have/is generating in views, but we had threads that gained well over 1,000,000 views in a matter of days. We had a few hot ones that ascended into the hundreds of thousands in matter of hours.

Springer...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Springer is right they did run into the millions, i think one was the be-heading thread - Nick Berg. That was no1 for veiws if i remember rightly.

Also when i said there was way too much drama back in the old days, i guess it wasnt much different to now. With less people as members and not so many posts it was magnified. There was some classic drama, wether is was manipulated to spark interest, or was just blatant flaming some people will never know

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Wow, I had no idea there were potentially that many page views. I thought it would be 10,000 max. Great that we can reach so many people here.

[edit on 000.313f20090am by HiAliens]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by HiAliens

ATS averages over 13 MILLION page views total a month from nearly 3 MILLION monthly visits.

Springer...

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

My favorite owner

Sorry Skeptic and Simon

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I've been a regular on this website since 2006, although I only recently decided to create an account and post replies.

From what I remember, things now are a lot more organised and formal. Also the stories now seem more controversial. 80% of stories used to be about aliens and area 51. Other topics were mentioned every now and then, but never as formally and categorically as they tend to be in the year 2009.

Overall, I would say ATS has improved for the better; there are many registered users, a diverse range of topics, and various non-controversial topics one can engage in.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
What is ATS? What has it become?

To me, ATS has become a sort of Online Conspiracy University. A place outside of conventional wisdom but teaming with the knowledge collectively shared by all involved.

A university where the faculty and staff aid the student along in their individual scholarship towards the inner wisdom each one desires. Little is asked in return for their services. But the rules are clearly outlined for all to read. Within these confines is the campus of ATS, a shared collective of the most important subjects of our time, a free society without class boarders where all are equal in the learning process.

And with each university comes along its fraternities, sororities, houses, cliques, groups and loners. Departmentalizing the campus into its unique sectors, a natural causality of human behavior to an enclosed environment such as this site. ATS allows the student maximum leeway in terms and limits little in its conditions. Offering an environment where an idea can be fostered, grown, and discussed in a forthright, and open manner.

Free to learn, free to grow, free to protest even the establishment and the environment of ATS where those students are, so much like a collage campus.

All are truly teachers & all are truly learners; at ATSOCU.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join