It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution-- Truth, Fallacy, or Faith?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I know I am going to get blasted for this, but it suprises me I never see any ATSers questioning science. I personally, being a chemical engineer study quite a bit of science, engineering, and dabble in pretty much everything. I, however, having learned so much about it, have learned about many of the holes, flaws, and truths about the models and such found in most elementary textbooks and believed by the common individual.

In my Sophomore year of college, I asked my Physics professor why it seemed that every year, I would be told that whatever I learned last year was just a simplification and a model, and that now I was learning how it works. For real this time?

Of course not.

Science seems to perpetuate itself for the sake of itself. The other day I read an article in the times which I sadly cannot find at the moment claiming that we must "defend science" from its attackers.

My first response was, "Are you kidding me?" Of course science needs to be defended, but this particular article was claiming that anyone who didn't blindly believe evolution, and believe it should be taught to our children was endangering science. I would counter that not challenging it is the only real danger to science.

I liked Dr. Pratt's response, which made me feel a little better, that all scientists haven't changed their scientific discipline into another mindless dogma.

www.fresno.edu...

Let me step back a second. There was a time I whole-heartedly believed evolution as well as creation. It was a fun time for me back in highschool. I was a relativist. I believe many things could be true-- and even rationalized both were true and that the Bible actually lined out events close to evolution--so it might just be some error in man keeping God's history.

But after careful study over the years I have discovered a few things.

1. Evolution is taught early in middle or primary school. This is unnecessarily early in my opinion, especially when it is only a theory and contraversal. It's like teaching gay rights in 5th grade social studies.

2. The form of evolution taught, is most often the gradual form, where animals slowly change over millenia into other animals. People rationalize this is possible based on what they see in life. Changes in one generation to the next-- so the theory is plausible that maybe a horse's great great...great grandfather was a horse.

3. No serious evolutionary biologist believes this form of evolution yet it is taught almost exclusively. They believe in rapid mutations over short periods of time. Mainly because no close intermediates have EVER been found. And logic would say you would have to find some, or at least one.

The reality is, the young are taught a deliberately incorrect version of the theory which seems plausible, and serves as a great creation myth. (like any in the Bible, or Greek mythology, you name it) Children take it on faith (yes science, being accepted on faith, like all science unless you yourself are testing in the lab or looking over data from the said lab)

I will continue by saying evolution is not necessary to study biology, not even collegiate level! I studied at a presitious institute as an undergraduate. (which produces at least one Rhodes scholar a year, and ranks in the top five of all time for total number just to clarify that I didn't graduate from Podunk U.) In our biology classes it wasn't even mentioned. Because it ISN'T relevant. There is a specific class studying the theory and some aspects are crucial to cellular biology on a short term scale, but otherwise unimportant.

Finally, I will add that the wide belief that no scientists disagre with evolution is deeply flawed, and actually is a terrible lie put out by scientists with agendas. I have spoken with a number of PhDs who are fearful to publicly admit their faith for fear they will be discredited. Even one who was fired for refusing to teach Satanists.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I believe that the human race was genetically engineered - that "evolution" does take place but very slowly, and that we appeared (with no "missing link" to be found) in a geological instant because of the DNA manipulation.

So answering the question in the post title is difficult.

I do believe one thing... That the idea that the Universe was created by a God 6,000 years ago is absurd. That's just me, of course.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
It's not my intention to get into a theological debate, but I have counter that statement, not because I believe that the world formed 6000 years ago (I really don't know, I wasn't there), but for the nature of the site were on.

Here we believe aliens may be interrupting our daily lives. Big foots runs amock, big brother causes mind control. NWO is on the horizon. We all live in a glorious computer program. But the thought that God created the world 6000 years ago is completely implausible?

Suppose:

1. God is all powerful and can do anything.

2. He can do anything...there is nothing more. Hence, given A, then ANYTHING God wants is possible. But humans hate the idea that we aren't in control. That's why so many are terrified of supposed superior extraterrestrials.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Scientific theories are questioned on daily basis by scientists and non scientists as well, there are many threads on ATS where members often challenge most popular ones.

Science has always been in pursuit for the truth, therefore it needs not to be defended. It boldly resists winds of time...

Evolution is the FACT. Everything around us changes and evolves, as we speak.

Theory of evolution is the best explanation of it so far and many things which occur in nature support this. However, when and if time comes that theory of evolution is not a good enough description of what is going on, it will be replaced with something better.

Science is evolving itself too...

Pseudosciences like ID are a quite different story

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ragman
It's not my intention to get into a theological debate, but I have counter that statement, not because I believe that the world formed 6000 years ago (I really don't know, I wasn't there), but for the nature of the site were on.

Here we believe aliens may be interrupting our daily lives. Big foots runs amock, big brother causes mind control. NWO is on the horizon. We all live in a glorious computer program. But the thought that God created the world 6000 years ago is completely implausible?

Suppose:

1. God is all powerful and can do anything.

2. He can do anything...there is nothing more. Hence, given A, then ANYTHING God wants is possible. But humans hate the idea that we aren't in control. That's why so many are terrified of supposed superior extraterrestrials.

Well, once one starts supposing things that lock up the answer...sure. I guess so.

Personally, I am God. You are God. All Consciousness is God, and together we co-create this Universe. So though each one of us cannot create all things...over an infinite Universe, all things come to pass.

My view only. And I believe we have been doing this over the course of at least 16 billion years...or so.

[edit on 3/1/2009 by Amaterasu]

top topics

join