It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous ATS Ghost Postings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I have noticed a strange phenomonon lately.

Like a lot of you, I frequently check 'MyATS' and review my Top 50 Subscriptions to who posted last and see if anyone has posted since my last comment. I've noticed a strange trend. Very often, the last poster is identified as "Anonymous ATS" so I go check the thread and that is not. It is often the person I remember last posting or myself. No record of this ghostly Anonymous ATS.

Ah, I know what you're thinking - that someone posted between the moment that I reviewed 'MyATS' and clicked on the thread. Not so. I've double and tripled checked.

Any ideas as to why this is? I find it creepy. I know it sounds a bit paranoid but, it is a curiosity indeed.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
All anonymous posts have to be reviewed by a moderator/Admin before showing up in the thread.

So if you see that an anonymous posters was the last poster in a thread, but his/her post has not shown up in set thread, it just means a mod/admin hasn't reviewed it yet. It will show up eventually, if it doesn't violate the T&C and any other conditions there may be.

[edit on 3/1/2009 by pstiffy]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
*blush* Thanks for the insight.

Dang, those mods must be really busy! My deepest sympathies

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Or not. I started a thread where the only two responses I got were anonymous and neither ever made it public. Unfortunate because I was curious as to what was thought, but it would be that neither of them fit within the T&C, which is required.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Spot on everybody. Each annon post has to be viewed by staff for compiance to the terms and conditions. While we try to get to them as soon as possible we prioritize the needs of members first.

[edit on 3/1/09 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Hello Whisper67, and welcome to membership!

I'm glad you asked this question, I've often thought about it myself.
But the responses you got so far, answered it nicely. Now, (whispering) I still think there are ghosts in & out of the machines; who crave recognition from beyond, and post from an alter-dimension between us and them!

I thought I just;wait,what was that?

[edit on 3/1/2009 by FRIGHTENER]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

I've noted the same and yet when I've checked later the post by anon is not there. I've seen posts that have been done by anon and the mods have left the post there but they remove the comment because of whatever against the T&C.

The explanation doesn't work from what I've seen. Unless they are now completely deleting the anon posts instead of just removing the comments from the anon posters window?
Putting an anonymous post locks it up from what I understand and prevents it from moving. Maybe this is their way to prevent a thread from going anywhere. It goes unnoticed until someone checks on it specifically and forces the thread to again be part of the recent post list.

I could be wrong.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Thank you FredT and other for answers and comments. I always enjoy a bit of speculation as well. Keeps our brains limber & healthy.

AllTied, your response disturbs me a bit. This ghosting has happened to two of my three threads and yes, they ended up getting buried and I got zero replies. ::blush:: Now, maybe I just pick uninteresting topics lol or maybe they're too on the mark like the Nancy Pelosi going on vacation. What tripped me out about this one was I only had one reply, followed by a ghost post then - buried! But, when I went to do more research on google about this - my ATS post came up the number one return out of several thousand. EEK Talk about putting on your tin foil hat. I just punked on our third in line for our throne. I'm sure as hell going to get audited this year

I found FredTs explaination sufficient, he's a supermod so he knows of that which he speaks. However, ghosties in the machiene.....I'm sure our govt has tech that goes above and around and below any website to suppress what they don't want talked about. Honestly, I don't think lil ol me is that important but....you get a group of us togeather...that will draw attention. Enter the thread about conspiracy against ATS:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Mod Edit: Removed TAG url.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Bah - I'm now 3 for 3 and starting to take it personal

So, AllTied what you're telling me is that - for example my thread on Witness to Dying - if you were to post there now or flag it - it wouldn't move anywhere? It would just get buried? ::sniffle::

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllTiedTogether

I've noted the same and yet when I've checked later the post by anon is not there. I've seen posts that have been done by anon and the mods have left the post there but they remove the comment because of whatever against the T&C.

May have simply been a mistake.

Annon threads have 3 options:
1) They are killed outright
2) They are approved
3) They get an edit. Some do as they have good content but contain, profanity, ad hom atttacks etc.

You have to go out of your way to delete a post, and then make it live.

The explanation doesn't work from what I've seen. Unless they are now completely deleting the anon posts instead of just removing the comments from the anon posters window?

Nothing has changed since the annons were allowed to post. I can see no reason to keep annon posts in the manner you describe. It would be like pot holes on a road.

Putting an anonymous post locks it up from what I understand and prevents it from moving. Maybe this is their way to prevent a thread from going anywhere. It goes unnoticed until someone checks on it specifically and forces the thread to again be part of the recent post list.

I could be wrong.

You are wrong.........

An annon post does not lock up a thread. It does bump the thread and thats the crux of this thread. Seemingly old threads rising from the bowels of the database as it were with no new visable post.

If we wanted to close a thread, it could simply be closed by a forum mod. And as noted above, it clearly bumps the thread onto the front page.

[edit on 3/1/09 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67
Bah - I'm now 3 for 3 and starting to take it personal

So, AllTied what you're telling me is that - for example my thread on Witness to Dying - if you were to post there now or flag it - it wouldn't move anywhere? It would just get buried? ::sniffle::

Just to show you that AllTied theory is wrong, I had a friend at work post annon to bump your thread. Then I posted a comment in it.

There are actually two annon posts there both have not been approved. But the thread stays open and people are still able to post. www.abovetopsecret.com...

There is no telling what people will find interesting and post away in. I have had many threads that i thought were fantastic only to see them fall flat. It happens.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I declare these ghost postings as DEBUNKED!

Personal thanks to FredT for going out his way to satisfy the curiosity a few of us had.

Maybe next time I post a thread I feel is important I'll title it 'Strange Lights over Indiana right now!' and then put my mundane ramblings in the content. Just kidding

During my short OFFICAL time here on ATS I've found it key to visit someones profile who you admire/respect and view what threads they've started. There is so much info here I'm literally on ATS day and night reading reading reading. My poor family is not getting fed and the laundry is piled high
One looking at current members on ATS would think I just have this website up and sitting idle but no...::blush:: I am actually active all this time. I did manage to go to a movie yesterday...I was looking for illuminati symbolism the whole way thru lol

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Yeah it's just happened to me on my thread and it's really annoying because it's the only reply I've had so far! If it is a ghost in the machine at least it's a scorpio!!!

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by FRIGHTENER
Hello Whisper67, and welcome to membership!

I still think there are ghosts in & out of the machines; who crave recognition from beyond, and post from an alter-dimension between us and them!

[edit on 3/1/2009 by FRIGHTENER]

Have you tried crossing them over into the light or at least giving them offerings to appease them?

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Absolutely, Lola! Thanks for asking.

One of my friends who committed suicide on the railroad tracks, had no shoes on; so I always leave my extra sneakers out on the back porch!

Another buddy, killed from hypothermia & injuries, while his car was stuck off-road, could have shoveled out; if he woulda had a shovel...so I leave a digging spade out on my porch, also...

lots of other friends & family passed, I do personal things for...not to be mentioned here...

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
That is very sad. I'm sorry to hear that Frightner.
I have lost family members too. Sometimes they come to visit and I leave things out that remind me of them. It is always nice when they come by.
We have others who come by as well my kids and their cousins were playing kick the can last summer when my nephew saw some disembodied feet running with him. kinda wierded him out a bit.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Thanks Lola, appreciate that. Oh, and welcome to ATS!

So I don't derail Whisper's thread here, in keeping with her topic about anonymous ghost postings, I gotta say, my computer screen does some very strange things since I've been on for over a year now...

Yes, sure, a Geek Squad sargeant would give me a technical explanation, and I'm confident he or she would be accurate; but as a spiritual believer, I'd suggest otherwise, being close to so many tragic deaths, including the abduction & murder of my cousin. There's something about all that electro-magnetivity conducive to both possibilities.

If ghost posting is possible, , then is ghost moderating possible?

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Thanks for the welcome Frightener and I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. As for ghost moderating why not? Isn't the point of this website that we believe in what most sheep don't want to think about? Just because it seems far fetched doesn't make it any less possible or true for that matter. I can close my eyes and pretend that I am invisible but that doesn't mean I am, more over I can beleive the government (any gov't) is fair and just and that doesn't mean it is. or I can look at the possibilities of what is out there good bad and just weird and see who else has seen or experienced weird stuff and know I am not alone and realize that maybe there is more truth than we are led to believe in things that aren't supposed to be real but are.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by lola322]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
BTW I think I have just experienced ghost posting! Did it get sucked into the abyss or just not posted by the Mods yet?
Stay tuned and i'll let you know later what I find out.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Welcome.
And Thanks about my cousin. Perhaps her spirit does a little ghost posting along with me sometimes. That's why I'm on here in the wee hours of the night/morning, cause she was murdered then...so I stay up. These hours have always been associated with increased amounts of evil spirits. The 'man' who abducted & murdered my cousin, set his filthy place on fire when he was finished with her, and then shot himself to death, at 3:14am, is why I worry about the evil ones...not the innocent ones who are pure, like my cousin.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join