It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radio commentator Paul Harvey dead at 90

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Radio commentator Paul Harvey dead at 90

www.msnbc.msn.com

CHICAGO - Broadcasting pioneer Paul Harvey has died at the age of 90, according to ABC Radio Networks.

Network spokesman Louis Adams says Harvey died Saturday at his winter home in Phoenix, surrounded by family. No cause of death was immediately available.

Harvey was a news commentator and talk-radio pioneer whose staccato style made him one of the nation's most familiar voices.

He was forced off the air in 2001 because a virus weakened a vocal cord. But he returned to work in Chicago and ...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Whether you like/know of the man or not, he was truly one of the best broadcasters that had ever existed. Unique, fresh, and always entertaining, Harvey was truly one of the greats. I remember listening to him for the first time on television and instantly was captivated by his stunning voice. He will be missed, and my condolences go with his family.

www.msnbc.msn.com
www.fox2now.com
www.chicagobreakingnews.com
www.wcpo.com
news.yahoo.com
www.cnn.com
www.huffingtonpost.com

(visit the links for the articles)

[edit on 2/28/2009 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
And that's the rest of the story...

I always enjoyed his anecdotes since they usually contained some tidbit that I found fascinating in my quest for "I didn't know that" moments.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
He was one hell of a radio broadcaster. May he rest in peace.

"And now you know…the rest of the story" was a masterpiece and will be missed.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
A great American, & radio host who always did his homework before the show. He made the news & stories that he reported the very best possible. He will always be remembered for his upbeat & positive fine work.

He won the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005. Well deserved.

May he rest in peace.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
How the guy could come up with such entertaining and mind bending material day in and day out is amazing to me. Think about the deadline pressure.

As a kid, we used to take road trips and when Paul Harvey came on with his news and commentary, we thought it was a real treat. We enjoyed the whole presentation, the format, the way he eased into commercials and how sincere he sounded pitching products. What a professional, is all I can say. What a guy! And I didn't agree with him on everything, but did on most things.

He was great with the human interest stories and more often than not, inspiring. He seemed to hold up the potential for good in everyone and convinced me on many occasions that miracles do happen. Paul Harvey could send a chill down the spine and then turn it into a warm feeling in your heart. His writing skills were just tops along with impeccable timing.

What a class act and I hope his programs are all preserved for future generations to enjoy. A slice of Americana and how terrific the delivery... remember that pause of total silence... then "I''m Paul Harvey...(pause) Good Day!"

Classic.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I loved Paul Harvey.

His news broadcast was a national treasure.

He will be missed.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
And that as he use to say is the rest of the story.

Rest In Peace Paul.

Wing-Nut

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
R.I.P Paul, you will be remembered always.

Seeing him on the evening news doing commentary has long been a favorite childhood memory for me.

As an adult hardly a day went by without listening to his show.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I remember in the late 60's and 70's that my grandparents always had the radio on in the kitchen when I visited and he was on. I liked his voice. Didn't understand him though. I was too young. god bless his family

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Rest in peace Paul. You were one of my favorite broadcasters.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
sad man really sad. Paul Harvey...good day. Wow seems like yesterday....my life is going to fast....

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Damn! What a wonderful set of pipes that man had!
R.I.P. Mr Harvey. And, Angel, you have my sympathy and my sincere regrets.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Now i will never know the rest of the story!!!!!
His talking mad me go to sleep..good man he was.

[edit on 28-2-2009 by TheAmused]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Just heard the news on the radio myself, sure enough ATS was on the story.

He was named Salesman of the Year, Commentator of the Year, Person of the Year, Father of the Year, and American of the Year. He was elected to the National Association of Broadcasters Radio Hall of Fame and Oklahoma Hall of Fame and appeared on the Gallup poll list of America's most admired men. In addition he received 11 Freedom Foundation Awards as well as the Horatio Alger Award. Paul Harvey was named to the DeMolay Hall of Fame, a Masonic institution, on June 25, 1993.
In 2005, he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the United States' most prestigious civilian award, by President George W. Bush.[11]
On May 18, 2007 he received an honorary degree from Washington University in St. Louis.

You've heard the news, and now for the rest of the story...

Paul with his folksy voice and appropriate pauses informed, delighted and entertained millions of fans and casual listeners daily across syndicated radio stations. His style and calm demeanor commanded more attention from a listener than possibly any other radio personality in the history of radio. Despite the modern shock jocks and political ramblers of rhetoric, Paul's voice and stories always brought out the ideal of Americana. He was nostalgia personified. People stopped conversations and business transactions when those magic words "the rest of the story" were heard.

Thousands of broadcasts over the years and countless parodies and questions of the validity of every story does not matter. His son Paul Harvey Jr, who wrote many of his stories over the years summed it up best, "millions have lost a friend". I count myself among them.

So to I say to you Paul Harvey...Good Day.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Here is his last radio newscast:

Is it just me, or does he sound like he's almost crying at the end of the second part? It maybe be my "conspiracy meter" acting up for no reason and it's ust laughter, but who knows...

[edit on 2/28/2009 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Amen to that!
I remember listening to him in the morning with my grandad when I was a few years old, he and Cronkite truly were the last of the greats.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Hopefully Paul Harvey, Jr. will continue to carry the torch. He's been doing "the rest of the story" for a while now already I think. So hopefully he will continue his father's legacy.

-ChriS

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

Yes, just like you I can remember listening to him on the radio when I was real little, and like my parents, I always loved what he had to say. He had a style of talking that was second to none. When he was sick a few years back, I can remember his son doing his show for him. His son did a great job and he tried to give the listeners updates on his dad health because he knew that they missed him. When he did return, it was a joy while I was driving truck just to be able to hear him again. Well, now that he is gone, I can only say, it is the end of a great era and will never be the same again. They don`t make broadcasters like him anymore. Bless you dear man, you will be missed by many out here.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Could you imagine a "rest of the story" show about Paul Harvey's Life?
Only it would be Paul Harvey Junior doing it instead of his father?

HOW AWESOME AND POWERFUL WOULD THAT BE?!!!

And you would only learn it was about Paul Harvey at the very end.. In the spirit of how Paul Harvey told those stories about all those interesting people.

I hope Paul Harvey, Jr. continues to do "the rest of the story" even after his father has passed. I think it would be healing, prudent, and important for the last show to be about his father.. If it really does end and doesn't continue in his honor. Hopefully Junior will carry the torch though as I said in my original post.

-ChriS

top topics

<<   2 >>

join