It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The oldest pulsar detected

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Scientists using the chandra x-ray observatory have detected the most ancient pulsar which is still pulsing!

It may be old, but it ain't dead. The Chandra X-Ray Observatory has found the oldest isolated pulsar ever detected. While this pulsar is ancient, this exotic object is still kicking and is surprisingly active.

It is very old!

According to radio observations, the pulsar, PSR J0108-1431 (J0108 for short) is about 200 million years old. Among isolated pulsars — ones that have not been spun-up in a binary system — it is over 10 times older than the previous record holder.

But it is not that far!

At a distance of 770 light years, it is also one of the nearest pulsars we know of.

Link-

Pulsar

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Being the closest shouldn't it have been detected sooner?
Saying that though the size of out there,well probablly more yet to see thats near by.
That pulsar's a little bit like me.Getting older but still with plenty of go.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Consider the amount of sky versus the amount of observers; there are untold numbers of stars we've never seen within our own galaxy.
While it doesn't surprise me that we've found a new star so relatvely close, I am amazed that this pulsar is still active. Yet another example of how little we actually know about the universe, and I'm that much more eager to learn.
Good find!

new topics

join