It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists to stop global warming with 100,000 square mile sun shade

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   

According to astronomer Dr Roger Angel, at the University of Arizona, the trillions of mirrors would have to be fired one million miles above the earth using a huge cannon with a barrel of 0.6 miles across.

The gun would pack 100 times the power of conventional weapons and need an exclusion zone of several miles before being fired.

Despite the obvious obstacles - including an estimated $350 trillion (£244trn) price tag for the project - Dr Angel is confident of getting the project off the ground.

He said: "What we have developed is certainly effective and a method guaranteed to work.

"Tests are ongoing but we expect to be ready to launch within 20 or 30 years time. Things that take a few decades are not that futuristic."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

I believe this is for one, way too expensive and also it doesn't seem like the greatest approach to fixing "global warming." Who woud want a bunch of mirrors everywhere anyways? What do yall think?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Maybe they think the mirrors are so that way the aliens can look at themselves? Sort of makes me wonder how many millions of dollars the government paid these idiots to come up with this mirror idea in the first place? What maybe a 2 million dollar grant to research it? For crying out loud what do we need more junk in space floating around? and then we have to wonder if there is a mirror up there wont it make things worse? suns rays hit the mirror then hit a part of the earth at a certain angle craeting a fire? anyone can do it from the earth why not from space? Just my opinion but it sounds stupid?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
It is official the green people have lost their minds.

350 trillion dollars! Really 350 trillion dollars!

For that amount of money we can convert the entire plant to alternative energy and even come up with some break through's.

Not to mention this could kill us all, or trigger an even worse ice age. These people need to be relieved of their positions.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
ROFL
Obviously one of the greatest scientific ideas to grace humankind.
Hearing something like this, i cant help but think about Wile E. Coyote and his half-brained ACME kits

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ostr8killao

Just say NO
to mirrors.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Why the heck would you use a cannon to launch things into space? I don't think that's even possible since it'd lose all its momentum before it got into space. This guy is nuts and should be fired lol.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sty

they should try it out on venus first, 300 trillion is cheap if they get a habitable planet out of it.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
appreciation to the OP for sharing this. Though this quoted astronomer, is surely an arse-tronomer. He's gotta be full of it. Like folks have rightly said already, for that amount of cash we could prob get global warming sorted.

and anyhow, what's the point in spending that much cash on anything, when the cause isn't being adressed. I.E. our lifestyle & behaviours.

take care
Wayne

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
$ (musical note)

$I'm a little teapot short and stout. Hear me shout Global Warming and pour me out.$

What will they think of next?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
With that money we could build a giant refrigerator to combat global warming. Also, it will create alot of new jobs. Many technicians will be needed to keep the unit running.
The mirror idea is useless; after the bang, that's basically it... job done. There is also no way to turn the mirrors off when we start freezing.

Wish I could get paid for sucking useless ideas out of my thumb

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
didnt this happen on an episode Futurama? haha

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Q: how do we stay in the news after obvious mishaps such as

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and

?

A: we'll just make braindead proposals until the cows come home and gain free time on air. any news is good news, it'll keep GW in the charts.

got my drift?

another example

the issue is that zealous politicians might *just* get desperate due to panic or lack bad poll results and actually do it
so, will you stop that please?!

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Just another money scam as most of these "solutions" are.

Here is a solution from the guy who got CFC's taken out. From newscientist.com with James Lovelock the man whos work on atmospheric chlorofluorocarbons led eventually to a global CFC ban that saved us from ozone-layer depletion. He is an ultimate greenie and knows carbon credits / cap & trade is a scam and will do nothing to CO2 levels... He has a solution that doesn't require subsidies, scams, etc but he doesn't expect it to happen because the money for the corrupt can't be made with his solution.

2009 promises to be an exciting time for James Lovelock. But the originator of the Gaia theory, which describes Earth as a self-regulating planet, has a stark view of the future of humanity. He tells Gaia Vince we have one last chance to save ourselves - and it has nothing to do with nuclear power

Your work on atmospheric chlorofluorocarbons led eventually to a global CFC ban that saved us from ozone-layer depletion. Do we have time to do a similar thing with carbon emissions to save ourselves from climate change?

Not a hope in hell. Most of the "green" stuff is verging on a gigantic scam. Carbon trading, with its huge government subsidies, is just what finance and industry wanted. It's not going to do a damn thing about climate change, but it'll make a lot of money for a lot of people and postpone the moment of reckoning. I am not against renewable energy, but to spoil all the decent countryside in the UK with wind farms is driving me mad. It's absolutely unnecessary, and it takes 2500 square kilometres to produce a gigawatt - that's an awful lot of countryside.
What about work to sequester carbon dioxide?

That is a waste of time. It's a crazy idea - and dangerous. It would take so long and use so much energy that it will not be done.

So are we doomed?

There is one way we could save ourselves and that is through the massive burial of charcoal. It would mean farmers turning all their agricultural waste - which contains carbon that the plants have spent the summer sequestering - into non-biodegradable charcoal, and burying it in the soil. Then you can start shifting really hefty quantities of carbon out of the system and pull the CO2 down quite fast.

Would it make enough of a difference?

Yes. The biosphere pumps out 550 gigatonnes of carbon yearly; we put in only 30 gigatonnes. Ninety-nine per cent of the carbon that is fixed by plants is released back into the atmosphere within a year or so by consumers like bacteria, nematodes and worms. What we can do is cheat those consumers by getting farmers to burn their crop waste at very low oxygen levels to turn it into charcoal, which the farmer then ploughs into the field. A little CO2 is released but the bulk of it gets converted to carbon. You get a few per cent of biofuel as a by-product of the combustion process, which the farmer can sell. This scheme would need no subsidy: the farmer would make a profit. This is the one thing we can do that will make a difference, but I bet they won't do it.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Well, there goes the University of Arizona's credibility.

Worlds biggest shot gun, lol. And the only thing you have to worry about is falling glass.

How this man ever got his doctorate is beyond me.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

In the realm of climate science it doesn't take much.

All you have to do is accept man-made global warming as your religion, and accept Al Gore as your lord and leader and pledge your life to him.

Seriously though I'm still have trouble wrapping my head around 350 trillion dollars.

The worlds GDP is 77.4 trillion.

It just baffles my mind, If this guy was my professor and proposed this during class I would have gotten up walked straight to an administrator and said, "I have to drop the class, this guy is nuts."

You really have to question the credibility of the whole AGW agenda when they come up with stuff like this.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

[edit on 27-2-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

No doubt.

What dribble.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
wow big umbrella. guess we don't have the money for this in the u.s. so we're SOL.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
A 100,000 square mile sun shade would block our view of Nibiru until at least December 21, 2012.

Oh well, if they came up with that plan 20 years ago, then yes, maybe but it's far too late now.

Its an ridiculous plan- using cannons to launch mirrors into space no less, and the price tag- could we literally rebuild our civilization with 350 Trillion dollars?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
accept man-made global warming as your religion

accept Al Gore as your lord and leader and pledge your life to him.

Ok, If I do that, will they hand over $5 billion dollars? I will make a shield with recycled cans and bottles and duct tape. I bet it wouldnt hurt as bad as a piece of mirror falling on someone and it would help make the road sides look much better to.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

Yes and probably on terraform Mars and the moon while we are at.

It just doesn't make a lick of sense.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join