It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother's kiss 'killed newborn tot'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

A mother's kiss could have accidentally led to the death of her 11-day-old baby. Jennifer Schofield's vital organs failed after being infected with Herpes Simplex Virus passed on through a cold sore. Her mother, Ruth, had felt ill a few days before giving birth last November and was later treated for mouth ulcers. The condition's believed to kill six babies a year in the UK.

I found this story upsetting, not only for the fact of the sad circumstances of it, but mostly because I have never heard of this happening before, I want to know and understand why people are not told this could happen.

Six babies every year in the UK, so how many Worldwide? why is this information not posted in Doctors surgeries? or Hospitals, Clinics? in the end the answer will probably be because of the cost, but that to me is unacceptable, even if area health Authorities wont cover the cost, then it should be down to the clinics themselves.

I just found it very disturbing, how many here where aware that this could happen? I guess it does come down to common sense, but I was always under the impression, that children build up immunity to disease and infections because of the mothers kiss, as well as through breast milk, and sometimes cold sores are not always apparent in the early stages.

Link to story

Makes me wonder just how many other every day infections we take as nothing, are a time bomb to our Children?

I know I would go to bits if it was my child, I feel so sad for this lady.

Any opinions?

[edit on 27/2/2009 by azzllin] to add link to story

[edit on 27/2/2009 by azzllin]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
How very sad.

But quite honestly, if I had a cold sore and had a new born baby, I'd be too scared to kiss it for this very reason. Or if I had a cold, flu or anything else contagious. But I agree that the hospital should give out pamphlets or maybe just tell new mums of the dangers.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I also find it disturbing, I have never heard of this risk before either.

There was no link to the full article in your post, so I was just wondering if the baby perhaps was premature and therefore more vunerable than other babies?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Very sad story indeed.

What's even more saddening to me is that it seems more and more children are being born everyday with such acute sensitivities to their environments that it makes me wonder what's happening to the gene pool.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

I apologise, I was so caught up talking with my wife about it, I completley forgot to link the story I am so sorry.Mothers Kiss Killed newborn tot

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Very sad indeed, but i guess we should point out they they say "may have"
I cant imagine how this poor mother must be feeling,

Terrible event,

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

Thanks for the link. There was no mention of the baby being premature, I see. This is just such a sad, sad story. And pregnant mothers really need to get information about this risk.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
The Mother of the baby is asking the Prime Minister to make this information available to everyone, this information needs to be known, I have had a day to think about this, and I still cant shake the fact, that this is known by very few people.

Makes me wonder if there are other similar every day infections we take little time to think about, that are hurting our children, at the very least there should be a flyer available at pre natal clinics, and GP's should be informing expectant parents of the dangers.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
There is a mercury solution that is put in the baby's eyes.

I've heard of a mother drinking the solution and dying.

Last time I noted a death skull on a squeeze bottle with a
pointed hooked tube for application to the baby's eyes.

Perhaps long ago an eyedropper was used from an unlabeled cup
of the solution. And some one thought it was water.
A case of the mother dying and not the baby.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
This is very, very sad, but yes--it does happen.

Normally, babies are given a treatment "just in case" immediately after birth in order to protect them from herpes variants, but... not everyone knows that cold sores are related, sadly. This kind of thing is rare... but it does happen.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Thats horrible
I can't imagine the pain that the mother is going through right now...

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
There is a mercury solution that is put in the baby's eyes.

I've heard of a mother drinking the solution and dying.

Last time I noted a death skull on a squeeze bottle with a
pointed hooked tube for application to the baby's eyes.

Perhaps long ago an eyedropper was used from an unlabeled cup
of the solution. And some one thought it was water.
A case of the mother dying and not the baby.

Errr, I'm sorry, but what? Could you perhaps re-explain your post and maybe post a link along with it? I did a quick google search and could come up with nothing about mercury being dropped in the eyes of babies.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ben420

Not sure about the poisoning case, but I did some googling to see specifically what eyedrops are used in neonatal herpes prevention and found this link.

Basically, it's used to prevent blindness, which is one of the things HSV can cause in newborns, and is actually pretty common practice, so far as I know. I've heard before that the drops may contain mercury, but further finding info on it seems difficult to do.

new topics

top topics

join