It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life Stinks. No wait! It Really Doesn't!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
You know I was sittin' here doin' some thinkin'. Everybody I know is affected by this dog gone economy. As a sales rep, I have a quite diverse cross section of people whom I deal with. From Mom & Pop shops, to giant corporations. Everyone is walking on egg shells. I know so many people who are going through tough times. Too many people out of work. The lucky ones are taking a pay cut to stay employed.

I've been thrown into the mix as well. Sales are down. Income is reduced. Things are bad....... Boo-hoo. Poor lombozo......

F THAT!

Feel sorry for myself? NO f'n way!

I can't help but see the things which are bad, bad dog gone it, the other side of the coin is so much more fun! LIFE is good!

I get to see the sun rise every morning. A word picture for you...... I am up early. If I am in bed at 5:00 am, that is late. I take care of the animals then go out on the deck. A diet Pepsi in hand I watch the moon as it settles, at the same time watching the Sun show her face. I sit down in the pre-dawn darkness and watch as the world comes to life. Animals of every kind begin to scurry about. Raccoons, Squirrels, Birds all begin their daily routine.

After awhile I hear my son waking up. He bounces all over the place. Hopping and bouncing away, I hear booming like a giant is walking on the floor above me.

Then he comes down stairs and tries to sneak up on me. For the record, he believes that he sneaks up on me every time. I act surprised every time and we wrestle for a minute or two.

Time for Curious George. I actually like this cartoon now!

I quick run to the local convenience store and pick him up a hash brown, and myself another Diet Pepsi.

Another 40 minutes until he has to go to school. "Daddy! Tell me a story!". I tell him a story while hs mother glares at me. She glares at me for everything. Ask her, and she'll tell you that the Continents drifted apart, and the Dinosaurs are extinct as a direct result of me........ trust me, I am WAY beyond the point of caring about her opinions.

My son is awesome. I watched a Philadelphia Championship with him. Watched him fish, and catch lightning bugs. Watched while he achieved honors (Belts) in karate. Watched him develop his imagination to the point that he makes me wonder. That my friends is saying something!

I lived history as Obama became President. For the record, I really like and support this man.
I was lucky enough to buy a beer, and a huge tray of wings for a young man who served a tour in Iraq. He was too young to be served, but he was the son of my next door neighbor and a great kid. I bought him a beer because he served with honor. Don't tell anyone. DUDE. I know you're a member here and if you read this, I am so proud of you. THANK YOU.

I saw the leaves go from green, to orange, to brown. I watched people who had nothing help one another out. I made a ton of new friends. I saw a breathtaking event as a slain Philadelphia Officer was laid to rest. I got the chance to see how much I really loved my Dad. I met a woman who makes me wonder why in the heck she likes me at all as she could have just about anyone she wants.

Moneys tight. My belt is tightened another notch. Bailouts. Unemployment. The world seemingly stinks.

With my eyes wide open I have to proclaim that NO IT DOESN'T. Just look. You can either be miserable and cry the blues, or you can go to sleep ay night with a smile on your face and say, "I can't wait until tomorrow!"

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
How right you are..always good to read what we should be happy for in life not what makes us miserable. It is all perspective.

I enjoy reading you daily doses of life. Thanks

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
i really wish i could be like that but i am the exact opposite. i focus on all the things that suck and right now, there are a lot of them.
you know the deal. i have talked about it.

that said, i have a promising job lead in a warehouse driving a tow motor. mon-fri, 8-4:30. dude, that would so change my life around. not hard on my failed back. enough cash to get back in the good graces of child support and be able to get my own joint.....

thing is i know if it falls through i will be super bummed and the depression will just rise and my cycle will start all over again.

i wish i could be like you. if i go outside i see unmelted snow, dreary rain, the stench of the steel mill 2 blocks away. no wildlife. nothing pretty..really blows the big one.

sorry to drag your thread down but just sayin.....wish i could think like you do lombo

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thing fish

But that is where you are mistaken my good man!

Maybe you don't see the wildlife and the like, but pop on your favorite Zappa tunes and what do you feel? It's all what you make it.
I'm sending you a ton of positive mojo on that job opportunity! Once you land it, and you will, be the best at it! Then that unmelted snow will turn into the opportunity to make a snow fort, and fling some snow balls!

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I don't know lombozo...things may in fact be getting worse now.

I just got wind that BRIAN DAWKINS has agreed to terms with the BRONCOS.

I swear if those guys let him go......

:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Life doesn't stink. Just all the a-holes that need dealing with

Life can always be good, even when it's hard. It's always possible to find something to take a little pleasure in. And if nothing immediate is available, do something new. Doesn't have to be big. Just something never done or tried before. Something simple. Just a little spice.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo

Another 40 minutes until he has to go to school. "Daddy! Tell me a story!". I tell him a story while hs mother glares at me. She glares at me for everything. Ask her, and she'll tell you that the Continents drifted apart, and the Dinosaurs are extinct as a direct result of me........ trust me, I am WAY beyond the point of caring about her opinions.

-------

I met a woman who makes me wonder why in the heck she likes me at all as she could have just about anyone she wants.

hmm, most interesting are the webs we weave, eh?

two.

[edit on 28/2/09 by Obliv_au]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by thing fish
i really wish i could be like that but i am the exact opposite. i focus on all the things that suck and right now, there are a lot of them.
you know the deal. i have talked about it.

that said, i have a promising job lead in a warehouse driving a tow motor. mon-fri, 8-4:30. dude, that would so change my life around. not hard on my failed back. enough cash to get back in the good graces of child support and be able to get my own joint.....

thing is i know if it falls through i will be super bummed and the depression will just rise and my cycle will start all over again.

i wish i could be like you. if i go outside i see unmelted snow, dreary rain, the stench of the steel mill 2 blocks away. no wildlife. nothing pretty..really blows the big one.

sorry to drag your thread down but just sayin.....wish i could think like you do lombo

Then you can be like him! Take control of your "mind", remember you are the boss, tell your mind what to do, take control!

I bet he has plenty of negative things to talk about, but focusing on the negative side, is "choosing" to be sad and depressed, I know saying it like this sounds too simple, I know life is complicated, and hard to control, depression can come out of nowhere etc, but the theory is simple!

Focus on the positive and be happy, why? Because it feels better

I know life is hard, I have the same feelings you have sometimes. But it's posts like the OP that remind me that staying positive actually has benefits, that is what makes life worth living.

You lose an arm, you have two choices, jump into a deep hole of self pity, depression and negativity, or choose to stay positive, keep living life, and learning how to live with just one arm, inspiring the people around you.

What do you think "feels" better?

Keep it up!

[edit on 28-2-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Obliv_au

I noticed that too!

Just goes to show how complicated marriage is. And how good it can be. (Trying to be positive)

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

That was just amazing. Thankyou for this reminder. I'm really starting to see how insidious it is, the way that the bad things manage to stick in our memory, while we forget the good things.

It's not really the it that is worth it, what's worth it is the trying. And part of the problem is that we focus on the end, the result, the spoils.

And just because you focus on the positive doesn't take away from your ability to try to make your life better. I really used to hate the word optimist because I thought it was a fakish sort of thing to be. It's only slightly annoying now, I'm coming around on this. Not that I dislike the pessimist either, but yes.

So yeah, it's worth a try (duh right). Thanks for the inspiration this morning I really wasn't expecting that.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

Be nice if us meager posters could applaud some times. This one is definitely worth one. I think the problem is that it seems easier to get caught up in the negative and that is why so many do it.

Thing Fish I have been there buddy. I firmly believe that if you focus on the negative then negative is what you get. Phoenix was right in what he said. It sounds easy. But getting to the level from where you focus on the negative and turn it to focusing on the positive takes a long time. It is easy to be sucked back to the negative side when something goes wrong.

Chin up mate if your at the bottom there is only one direction to go now. And again lombozo excellent thread and thank you for injecting something positive for all of us. Applause

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Correctly told lombozo, money doesnt matter life. It is only the love and affection of family which matters the most.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Great post, OP!

One thing to remember is how much harder our ancestors had it, and yet they still managed to keep going, raise families, create the great classics and works of art, build nations and cross oceans in rickety wooden barrels with hand-made cloth sails. I've also traveled around a number of third world nations, and in the midst of serious deprevation and hellish conditions I've seen some of the most beautiful smiles imaginable, along with simple acts of kindness, courage, and compassion.

Compared to all that, anyone with access to a computer, food in their bellies, and a roof over their head is living like an aristocrat.

Maybe these hard times are a good chance for all of us to re-evaluate life, think about what really matters, hunker down and put more emphasis on thinking big thoughts and loving our familes, friends, and communities. While I'm not happy the "bubble has burst" and I have sympathy for those who are facing hard times, at the same time I can't help but remember how spiritually hollow the last 20 years or so have been, with the constant drumbeat of materialism, the emphasis on what you have rather than what you do or who you are inside. People swaggering around like little napoleons because they managed to get a little money out of the banks or the markets for the first time. It's worth remembering that all that is horrific in a way, too.

Let's use this time as a chance to reconnect with deeper and more enduring values.

top topics

join