It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And you think your life is bad!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Paroled Mexican Woman Fights Deportation
Maria Suarez was an immigrant from Mexico looking for work when she was kidnapped at 16 and held as a sex slave for five years.

After conspiring in the killing of her tormentor, she served 22 years in prison before being paroled last year. Now she faces another ordeal � the prospect of being torn from her family and sent back to a country she no longer knows.

Since January, Suarez has been held at an immigration detention center at the port of Los Angeles, awaiting an April 23 hearing under a federal law requiring those convicted of violent crimes to be deported after their release.

Suarez, a permanent U.S. resident whose ailing mother and eight siblings are U.S. citizens, is fighting to stay.

"I keep trying to understand what justice in this country means," she said. "But I haven't seen it in my case."

From the yard of the detention center, Suarez, now 43, catches glimpses of the life she missed.

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040416/ap_on_re_us/parolee_deportation

Remind me not to complain so much any longer.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Whoa.

I am confussed as to why she would even be put in jail after killing the people that kept her and abused her as a slave for five years.

People get off for psycological trama way less than that all the time.

There are a few instances where I would say that an illegal should stay.

This would be one of them.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Since January, Suarez has been held at an immigration detention center at the port of Los Angeles, awaiting an April 23 hearing under a federal law requiring those convicted of violent crimes to be deported after their release.

So what these people are saying is that because she fought back against her kidnappers rather than just let them abuse her any longer, she should be deported ?!?!?! This is the law ??? This is just sick !!!!

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
That's really messed up. I don't see isn't praised for fighting back against those that have hurt her. I seriously hope someone takes up this case, because it would be a travesty if no one does.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I've lost count of the number of times I have had words with sheeple who insist that the law equates to justice. It doesn't.

Law
A rule of conduct or procedure established by custom, agreement, or authority.
The body of rules and principles governing the affairs of a community and enforced by a political authority
The condition of social order and justice created by adherence to such a system
A set of rules or principles dealing with a specific area of a legal system
A piece of enacted legislation.

Justice
The quality of being just; fairness.
The principle of moral rightness; equity.
Conformity to moral rightness in action or attitude; righteousness.
The upholding of what is just, especially fair treatment and due reward in accordance with honor, standards, or law.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Whoa.

I am confussed as to why she would even be put in jail after killing the people that kept her and abused her as a slave for five years.

People get off for psycological trama way less than that all the time.

I agree. Though it tends to only be some people. The poor and disenfranchised are always guilty and do the max.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
We don't have a justice system. We have a legal system. There is a small but important difference.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
I've lost count of the number of times I have had words with sheeple who insist that the law equates to justice. It doesn't.

Law
A rule of conduct or procedure established by custom, agreement, or authority.
The body of rules and principles governing the affairs of a community and enforced by a political authority
The condition of social order and justice created by adherence to such a system
A set of rules or principles dealing with a specific area of a legal system
A piece of enacted legislation.

Justice
The quality of being just; fairness.
The principle of moral rightness; equity.
Conformity to moral rightness in action or attitude; righteousness.
The upholding of what is just, especially fair treatment and due reward in accordance with honor, standards, or law.

That is an exellent point Pisky!! The so called 'Justice System' is not concerned with 'Justice' in the least.

This isn't too much of a suprise however since we also have a 'Department of Corrections' which has nothing to do with Correcting anything. It is a 'Department of (Misdirected) Punishment' which has, in most cases, become a kind of school where criminals can perfect their skills, gain additional contacts and learn to live in a society where Racism, Mob/Gang Rule and BlackMarket Business are the foundation of that Society.

You would think people would be able to see for themselves the truth to all of this. For those who haven't yet seen the light, here are a few clues:

1.) There are so many laws, all written in a way that makes them almost impossible to understand, that even after years of training even Lawyers only know a fraction of them, let alone the average person.

2.) Lawyers themselves almost always have a reputation of being Sneaky, Evil, Underhanded Bastards, even amongst themselves.

3.) In a court room, you face an entity who is addressed as 'Honorable so and so' or 'Your Honor', as a way of showing their Royal Status. The 'Honorable whoever' then sits High Above everyone in the room and dressed in a full length Black Robe. All 'Judgements' handed down from this 'Man-God' and other various statements or rulings are made final and driven home by the Stike of their Hammer(Gavel).

new topics

top topics

join