It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faith

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Okay im still new here so sorry if this has been said,

Okay i believe in God and always have and always will, but i was just wondering some of the reasons as to why people lose there Faith? (in any religion or god)

so please tell me if/why you have had a crisis of or ever doubted your Faith, or given up completely?

thank you,

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
It waxes and wanes, my friend. I, too, believe, but my focus can sometimes shift. Usually this happens if I miss church a few times in a row, due to business trips or whatnot. You really need to keep a place where you're surrounded by fellow believers, who you can talk to any time. We're not ment to make this journey alone, and when we try, it feels like it's just not working, and our faith may slip a little bit. But every time my faith has taken a slip, it's come back even stronger then it was before

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Come to think of it, I can't say that I ever really had faith in the existence of a christian god. I mean, I was rased as such, but I never really believed in it; I was just going through the movements because I was expected to. When I was old enough, I realized how illogical the entire concept was and just brushed it off as if I was removing dust from a shelf. I guess that you could say that I was atheist for about a decade before I became obsessed with quantum physics. This is when I discovered a new understanding of existence/reality which if one desired to could be labeled as the 'god thing'. However it has nothing to do with the common conception of god. It has more to do with an all permiating force. Nothing really that 'other-worldly', just all energy broken down to the purest form.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The faith you have actually comes from God I think.
Everyone is given a certain amount of faith , a certain measure. Often when you lose faith it is because of hardship or some tribulation, this is when God temporaily removes himself to try and test your heart.
Our faith is not tested beyond that which we can handle and there is always an exit from the testing.

As for fellowship, it is important but i still think that the first and foremost thing is a relationship with God. You cant find what you are looking for in a Church, no preacher in the world can give you what only God can give you. So getting to a church is the third or forth step , the first steps are actually God calling you. Its God who saves us no one else. (Jesus said many are called few are chosen, aswell as the parable about the sower and the good seed and the area it falls on and that broad is the way to hell and many follow it, narrow is the way to life and FEW find it) Also the very principle of Jesus Christs teaching was to love one another, which you cant do unless God works in you with his love and through you God loves others. Bible says that once you become a Christian it is not you but Christ living in you. It is the same with forgiveness and the parable of the servant. God wont forgive unless you forgive. But where is the forgiveness and love in todays Church?

I think anybody who needs to go to a church to keep their faith should examine the faith they have. Faith is tested not in Church around those who believe but in the world. Faith is about your testimony and believing in God, not the Church you go to. Im not saying Church isnt important but that the age we live in must be considered.Modern Churchs are in apostasy today, there is a great falling away happening. The true gospel is about peace of heart and salvation. Its very very simple and is grounded on faith of a child. Today people are more interested in being "blessed," if you have material wealth then God loves you, if you dont then you arent praying right. Just look at the Church leaders in America who are calling for almost armagedon, what they say about Islam, and how America (supposedly a Christian nation) has gone out in the world destroying and taking revenge. Turn the other cheek????

God is not perceived right. Compare the early church to today. It is like a different religion totally. But that level of fellowship ,foresaking the world, following God, putting your trust totally in the Lord, where is that today? Do you think people who go to Church today as either a recreation, or as a social club, a sunday thing to do, who spend an hour a week "with" God and then the rest of the week living life as their own God, deciding what they want to do and how they treat people, do you think those people would give their lives for God?

The bible itself even talks about only a small remnant of believers will be left. Judgement starts at the church/ house of God. Look at 911 in America. Churchs were packed after the attack but then dropped back to normal levels again. What does that say? God must be our servant and help us when we need it, otherwise we run our own lives?? Im not perfect..and I struggle with sin and issues of faith, and i know i sound like a real asshole when i say the stuff i say about the church today, but its just my opinon which probably means little. When I read the word of God and look around it brings me to the above conclusions.

People who loose faith , if they are meant to get it back they will, if not then they werent. God loved us even when we sinned, before we came to know him, or if we made wrong choices and followed a wrong path. God starts the work in us and he is more than capable of finishing it, nothing is impossible for God. God does have his favourites.The bible is litered with them. My thoughts are that God knows our hearts better than we do, and he forsees all things , so those he chooses are those he knows belong with him.

Those that keep their faith and make it in the end are the most blessed because God chose them from the foundation of the world.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Someone said once that faith is 'believing something that you know is not true'.

I concur.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DjNothing
Someone said once that faith is 'believing something that you know is not true'.

I concur.

That's pretty sad, Dj. I wouldn't fit your definition...So what does that do to your contention?

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Okay, first thing that comes to mind is when I was seeking truth and understanding and I found out I had been lied to in a lot of ways. My faith was somewhat Shot.
Also, sometimes I felt like god had left the building. I was suffering and didn't get any help. So I ended up angry at him for it instead of taking responsibility for my ME. I have since learned the error of my ways.
"faith-believing something that you know is not true"
DJ, That may sound cool but its of no substance. Faith is not believing a lie. You have faith in a lot of things besides god for one thing. One doesn't believe in anything they KNOW is not true. Faith is possibility, it is hope, it can even be confidence

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Lets see, when i was 9 i believed in god. After i realized all the problems in the world and how farfetched the idea of god is, i quit.

Just think about this.

You're 21 and never heard of God. A priest comes up to you and says there is an almighty power. Ths power is in you at ALL TIMES. It watches you at all times. It knows what you and every other person in the world is doing at all times. When you die he judges you. The power is all forgiving but if you don't believe in him (t doesn't matter how good you are) he will damn you to hell and let you (his creation by the way) burn FOREVER.

There was also a holy man named Jesus a while back. When he was killed he RESURRECTED. HE died for our sins. How exactly the fact that just because a dude died are sins are gone i don't know. I just except it.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Faith is completely illogical. The only reason christian people have it in god is because they were told it as a child when they didn't question anything.

I am going to leave a hundred doller bill on a bench. I will leave the bench. In five years i will come back and that hundred dollar bill will still be there. Why, because i have faith.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Religion and church is great for faith, the problem is many of the members are there for social/family reason and not for their faith.

Faith is strong when there are others, when the church members are with out faith how is an outsider with it supposed to fit in. It is too easy to loose faith in others because if stuff like this.

I have given up looking for someone else with faith. Most choose to disregard it and live off lust and things like that.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qraz A.K.A. MIlfort
Faith is completely illogical. The only reason christian people have it in god is because they were told it as a child when they didn't question anything.

I am going to leave a hundred doller bill on a bench. I will leave the bench. In five years i will come back and that hundred dollar bill will still be there. Why, because i have faith.

What? I guess you got it all down, and you of course know all of our lives. I would say a good 1/3\2/3's of christions come about it on their own, whoa are you to say that we all just accept it as kids, that would be the same as me saying " oh athiest are athiest because their parent were athiest and they never questioned it, trying looking into evolution, see how incredibly monsterous the chances of it auctually being true are, but I would bet you accept that without question right? Why because others told you it was true?

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qraz A.K.A. MIlfort
Lets see, when i was 9 i believed in god. After i realized all the problems in the world and how farfetched the idea of god is, i quit.

Just think about this.

You're 21 and never heard of God. A priest comes up to you and says there is an almighty power. Ths power is in you at ALL TIMES. It watches you at all times. It knows what you and every other person in the world is doing at all times. When you die he judges you. The power is all forgiving but if you don't believe in him (t doesn't matter how good you are) he will damn you to hell and let you (his creation by the way) burn FOREVER.

Umm , yeah, ok , you auctually send yourself yo hell. Just thought I would clarify the Bible for you.

There was also a holy man named Jesus a while back. When he was killed he RESURRECTED. HE died for our sins. How exactly the fact that just because a dude died are sins are gone i don't know. I just except it.

Do you even know what you are talking about atleast research a topic before you talk of it and water it down to the point that it is dribble, and ranting without merit.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Sorry, my facts are all wrong.

My point is just how farfetched the idea is. The simple fact that a man came back to life is ludacris.

P.S. How did Jesus death repent are sins? I never got that.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Jesus is the son of GOD... It was GOD'S choice to bring his only son down to save the rest of us from hell, because back then they ALL disobeyed God's law.
THE 12 COMANDMENTS....
So he came down in the form of man to demonstrate our ignorance, thus getting put on the cross, and then resurrecting. That sacrifice was done so that we FALLEN people could go to heaven through Jesus, not anybody else. JESUS, he is our saviour, our redeemer....

That's how it works, go to the dollar store and pick up the bible, it's only $1. Read psalms, revelations, matthew, mark, luke, and john. Hell read the whole thing. All your answers are in there.

also for all your questions about the one man who would never lie to you, but love you unconditionally go to www.wwayofthemaster.com
then www.tbn.org
also www.i.am.jah.com or net or org, not sure.

You have to understand and if you can't understand you really shouldn't be coming to a conclusion so soon... That is ludicrous in itself...

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by infovacume

" oh athiest are athiest because their parent were athiest and they never questioned it, trying looking into evolution, see how incredibly monsterous the chances of it auctually being true are, but I would bet you accept that without question right? Why because others told you it was true?

Exactly, evolution amd the fact that life came accidently can be hard to believe. A lot of stuff about you cames from your childhood. I stop being a christian because of what my father told me. I have found some of the things to not be true and i have had to change my views.
I am open minded. I am going to by a bible and attend church. I will go to Creation seminars. I want to learn the religion and the concept of god before i completely out rule it.

Chances are i will never accept religion. But maybe i will turn out to believe in God.
Faith is still illogical without any facts to base it off of. That is why i am going to look for them.

I understand (kind of) how Jesus dying saved us.

[Edited on 18-4-2004 by Qraz A.K.A. MIlfort]

[Edited on 18-4-2004 by Qraz A.K.A. MIlfort]

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Faith is hope.

This morning I had to have my dog put down. He was 7 years old and broke his leg. We found out that he had cancer in the leg and that we had to let him go.

I loved him so much.

When I look at things now, a couple of hours later, I can't take solace from anything other than faith. I know that I gave him a good life and that he gave me everything in return but now he's gone I feel empty. It's like somebody has ripped out my heart.

But I believe that we will meet again some day. I'll get to stroke his head again and feel his love.

Without faith, I have nothing.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Faith is what leads you to believe in Santa Clause after 20+ years of not believing in Santa Clause.

Faith is that which transends mankind to be more than what mankind has been.

top topics

join