It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D.C. Vote Bill Gets Going In House-Senate To Weigh Measure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

D.C. Vote Bill Gets Going In House-Senate To Weigh Measure

www.washingtonpost.com

For the first time since the 1970s, the U.S. Senate decided yesterday to take up a D.C. voting rights bill, fueling hopes that the District is finally nearing its longtime goal of having a full member of the House of Representatives.

"The Constitution of the United States could not be clearer . . . that representation [in the House] is limited to states," he said. He was referring to the Constitution's language that House representatives be chosen by the "people of the several states."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com
voices.washingtonpost.com
www.wjla.com
www.news8.net

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Having been Born and Raised for 24 Years in Washington, D.C., this issue happens to be near and dear to my Heart.

I must say however that I am highly disappointed in this debate, and quite frankly, I find it offensive in some regards that so many District "latecomers" (Most of whom have moved here within the Past 10 years or so) have found it a convenient argument upon which to stake their claim. Many of these individuals either force forward their "Pro-Vote Agenda" based solely upon Politically Partisan Grounds, or through their Naivety when it comes down to the reality behind the situation.

In my Opinion, the Bottom Line is NO, The District of Columbia should NOT have a vote in the House of Representatives. It is a Federally Mandated District, designed to be a sovereign entity not encumbered with the issues nor mandates which fall upon a State or Commonwealth.

District Residents already have many Privileges which are not granted to ANYONE else within the United States, most noteworthy of which is the ability for ANY District Citizen to attend a State University ANYWHERE within the United States, at the Tuition rate of an In-state Resident. Also, the District receives Federal Grant Money beyond that which is normally entitled to States, and even Territories.

As such, I can fully understand if District Residents wish for a repeal of Federal Income Taxes, but Representation, Statehood, or any like matter can only be discussed on an open table if any and all unique Privileges are fully rescinded in the establishment of such recognition

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Yeah, a lot of people don't realize DC could never survive as a state. It is essentially a federal welfare district. If DC did become a state, the same people clamoring over voting rights would be begging to go back to being a federal district within a year.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
If passed the Supreme Court will shoot it down.

It is blatantly unconstitutional, only States have representation, DC is a Federal District.

I suspect Political Partisanship will push this bill.. it would mean 2 more Democratic seats.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
DC has perks that states do not have for it is a Federal District similar to London and Vatican City. This is unconstitutional and a no brainer at that.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Yes, I see. This is addressed in the Constitution, in Law. But law is now meaningless in the SCOTUS, let alone the other two branches. They do what they want, reguardless of the law. They have been pretending to obey the law, but that is no longer. If the Democrat/Communists would get two new seats in the House, it will happen. We are now lawless.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by tjeffersonsghost
DC has perks that states do not have for it is a Federal District similar to London and Vatican City. This is unconstitutional and a no brainer at that.

What perks does DC have I live in DC right now and can say that there are no perks for the city or its residents.

DC is not similar to London I recall London at least has a say in stuff that goes on while DC does not.

Vatican City tell me how it is similar to DC; technically the Vatican is its own sovereign state while DC is not the Vatican is not apart of Rome or Italy.

First of all DC which is about the size of a small city has to fund things that a state usually deals with.

The Federal Government gives pays no property taxes to DC but they do to other places around the country and in our territories.

The District almost always gets everything that it plans to do axed.

The District always has to pay for things that the feds put on street closures, parades, etc that are for the Federal Government DC gets stuck with the bill and Congress does not even give a penny to help.

DC is always over looked for everything leave the Federal City part the original city of Washington ( Downtown DC) and you can see they really dont give a flying f what goes on there.

The Declaration of Independence and other documents involved in the creation of this country are based on John Locke's writings, if you go by what he says DC should have rights as states.

Either congress needs to give DC the rights, stop treating DC like a bastard
stepchild or let it go back to Maryland since they already gave the Virginia part back.

The residents of DC at first voted in Maryland or Virginia until Someone repelled that how about bringing that back then.

I'm not saying they have to give the District of Columbia righs just treat the place right Most of the land in DC is owned by the federal government and they do nothing with it while DC may have a plan to put it to better use and all they get is a nope.

Anyone wants to say anything about the Constitutional and giving DC rights is unconstitutional The Constitution is Unconstitutional as I recall they were supposed to ratify the Articles of Confederation not get rid of them and start over like that did.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu
Yeah, a lot of people don't realize DC could never survive as a state. It is essentially a federal welfare district. If DC did become a state, the same people clamoring over voting rights would be begging to go back to being a federal district within a year.

The federal welfare district is almost totally democrat and I believe there is no other reason to have the people of D.C. to vote other than to slant an election more toward a democrat win when it comes to National elections. It is like reorganizing the census numbers by redistricting for elections like soon will be done Nationally in favor of the democrats. If this was tried by Republicans or Independents the Democrats would scream bloody murder.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by amari]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Constitution?

Are we still using that old thing?

We should just crush these bastards for even thinking about it.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by amari

The federal welfare district is almost totally democrat and I believe there is no other reason to have the people of D.C. to vote is only to slant an election more toward a democrat win when it comes to National elections. It is like reorganizing the census numbers by redistricting for elections like soon will be done Nationally in favor of the democrats. If this was tried by Republicans or Independents the Democrats would scream bloody murder.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by amari]

DC is also incapable of managing itself. WMATA is always broke, yet has some of the highest fares for public transportation in the country, DC spends more per capita per student in the public schools, yet have the worst graduation rates in the country. Every week there is a new scandal where someone in the government has been stealing money. They even re-elected a mayor who was caught on camera smoking crack with a hooker.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
The Constitution Of The United States Of America has been completely circumvented and The Sheeple Of The United States Of America let our bought politicians get away with it with very little protests. Like a thief in the night you will wake up someday and say what happened to all of my freedoms I once had that have now been taken away.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tjeffersonsghost

A crime ridden Federal District.

Go US.

Keep supporting and abiding Constitutional law! Thanks Congress!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

The Constitution Of The United States Of America has been completely circumvented and The Sheeple Of The United States Of America let our bought politicians get away with it with very little protests. Like a thief in the night you will wake up someday and say what happened to all of my freedoms I once had that have now been taken away.

Really? What freedoms of yours have been taken away?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

The federal welfare district is almost totally democrat and I believe there is no other reason to have the people of D.C. to vote is only to slant an election more toward a democrat win when it comes to National elections. It is like reorganizing the census numbers by redistricting for elections like soon will be done Nationally in favor of the democrats. If this was tried by Republicans or Independents the Democrats would scream bloody murder.

DC is also incapable of managing itself. WMATA is always broke, yet has some of the highest fares for public transportation in the country, DC spends more per capita per student in the public schools, yet have the worst graduation rates in the country. Every week there is a new scandal where someone in the government has been stealing money. They even re-elected a mayor who was caught on camera smoking crack with a hooker.

WMATA is not only DC get your facts straight WMATA is a system that is funded by DC, Maryland and Virginia more specificly the counties of Montgomery and Prince Georges in Maryland and in Virgina Arlington County, Fairfax County, Alexandria City, Falls Church City, Fairfax City.

Marron Barry may have been caught smoking crack but he also did some good things for the residents of the city the Summer Youth Employment program there and Making things better for seniors. I will admit he has done some bad things but you also need to look at the good things he has also done.

DC has become worst over the past two administrations the first one Anthony Williams was basically being a republican in democrats clothing to get votes, the current Adrian Fenty seems like a dang idiot; I've met him and the stuff he says defies logic one minute he's saying something and the next contradicting himself.

Neither really didn't anything for the cities resident and are both basically about big business paying for companies to come to the city, while doing nothing to actually fix the problems that occur in the city its like neither of them sees what is going on.

Since both of them been in office there have been questions of money and where is it going cause its not going where it should.

As for the education system; what system. Over the past 7 years there are more and more Charted schools; it seems like the DC government is trying to get out of the school business.

About a year ago they found a warehouse full of brand new books and other equipment please tell me how you lose a warehouse full of school equipment when it was obvious that people had been going in there time to time.

Lots of schools have closed in the city for a restructuring program most of the schools now are oddly placed one area may have to many schools while another has none. Some parts of the city have 2 and 3 highschools within blocks from each other while other parts have none.

The schools that have been closed are not being used for any government use but are being sold to be turned into gyms and condos while the money from the purchases are going who knows where but it sure isn't education.

I personal think that they need to get rid of almost everybody in the govt. of DC; I have worked in the DC govt. and have always wondered how many of the people there keep their jobs because they aren't doing whats in there job descriptions. Most of the people involved in the administration and through out the government have a dont care not my problem mentality.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by jatsc]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jatsc

WMATA is not only DC get your facts straight WMATA is a system that is funded by DC, Maryland and Virginia.

Marron Barry may have been caught smoking crack but he also did some good things for the residents of the city the Summer Youth Employment program there and Making things better for seniors. I will admit he has done some bad things but you also need to look at the good things he has also done.

DC has become worst over the past two administrations the first one Anthony Williams was basically being a republican in democrats clothing to get votes, the current Adrian Fenty seems like a dang idiot; I've met him and the stuff he says defies logic one minute he's saying something and the next contradicting himself.

Neither really didn't anything for the cities resident and are both basically about big business paying for companies to come to the city, while doing nothing to actually fix the problems that occur in the city its like neither of them sees what is going on.

Since both of them been in office there have been questions of money and where is it going cause its not going where it should.

As for the education system; what system. Over the past 7 years there are more and more Charted schools; it seems like the DC government is trying to get out of the school business.

About a year ago they found a warehouse full of brand new books and other equipment please tell me how you lose a warehouse full of school equipment when it was obvious that people had been going in there time to time.

Lots of schools have closed in the city for a restructuring program most of the schools now are oddly placed one area may have to many schools while another has none. Some parts of the city have 2 and 3 highschools within blocks from each other while other parts have none.

The schools that have been closed are not being used for any government use but are being sold to be turned into gyms and condos while the money from the purchases are going who knows where but it sure isn't education.

I am well aware of WMATA's funding. G. Francis isn't a District employee? You mean the youth programs which are constantly well over budget, and just last summer sent everyone who signed up a check- whether or not they actually worked?
Didn't the mayor for life hire a bunch of MPDC cops who could not only not legally drive, but also not even own guns? How about the massive fraud in MPDC, concerning disability? Like the female police officer who is receiving full disability because she got stressed out going on calls, because she didn't know the neighborhoods, and got lost? How about the clueless police chief Ramsey, or Chief Wiggam, as I called him?
Lack of funding isn't the problem with the public schools. they spend $13000/student/year. Maybe the money just gets stolen- like what happens in pretty much every city organization in DC. Gangs and crack are why the school system is such a failure. They even pay kids to go to school and not get into trouble, and that program has been a failure.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

First of all DC which is about the size of a small city has to fund things that a state usually deals with.

... Your funded directly from freaking Congress, what the hell are you talking about?

Fact remains, your not a state.. to be considered a state, you must adopt a constitution, establish a Democratic Government, and be accepted by the other 50.

The fact that Congress wants 2 Congress peoples, which is the same as some north central states that are 50k times your size.. is ridiculous. Political bs, that's all it is.. about adding seats, and nothing more.

And seeing as Congress essentially runs the city, and most Congress people live in DC, DC technically has more representation then anyone else.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Really? What freedoms of yours have been taken away?

Since I know this is a set up question which is an insult to my intelligence I will answer your question in detail after you tell me why you think you have not lost any of your freedoms. First of all it is We The People that are losing our freedoms one by one and not just me. Really?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

... Your funded directly from freaking Congress, what the hell are you talking about?

Fact remains, your not a state.. to be considered a state, you must adopt a constitution, establish a Democratic Government, and be accepted by the other 50.

The fact that Congress wants 2 Congress peoples, which is the same as some north central states that are 50k times your size.. is ridiculous. Political bs, that's all it is.. about adding seats, and nothing more.

And seeing as Congress essentially runs the city, and most Congress people live in DC, DC technically has more representation then anyone else.

Btw the way of the funding DC receives if not enough to cover the budget, when things such as parades or street closures etc. that are the result of Congress DC is the one that pays for it and Congress does not reimburse DC for the cost; DC commonly takes the money out of accounts for other things.

Congress does basically nothing for DC besides give a money for a budget besides that they don't do a damn thing that involves fixing the city, benefiting residents.

Go to DC and get outside of downtown and see how things really are within the city, If current DC is the best Congress could do then we don't need Congress. Most congressmen don't reside in DC but in the surrounding counties in VA and MD.

top topics

join