It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange but true: fish with see-through forehead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Strange but true: fish with see-through forehead

www.boingboing.net

Since 1939, scientists have thought the "barreleye" fish Macropinna microstoma had "tunnel vision" due to eye that were fixed in place. Now though, Monterey Bay Aquarium researchers show that the fish actually has a transparent head and the eyes rotate around inside of it. From the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute:
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I thought you all might enjoy reading a bit of true science fiction. This is pretty neat! The fish has eyes retracted into its head, and can roll them around to different positions.

How do scientists know this? It's forehead is transparent. You can see its brain and everything in the picture.

www.boingboing.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
There was another thread on this earlier HERE in the crytpozoology forum. Not trying to get your thread closed (since the same topic is allowed in the news forum and other forums). Just wanted to show you in case you wanted to check out the discussion on that thread.

For me, I think it is a fascinating creature. As I stated on the other thread, my guess is that the transparent flesh is probably similar to the substance of jellyfish flesh.

Contrary to what I thought at first, the green balls below are actually its eyes while the two holes in the front of its face are nostril-like holes.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
There are even fish who's entire body is transparent.

Source

First time I've come across a fish that actually sees through it's head though. Good find

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

Wow that would make one freaky avatar!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Here's a really cool video of it for anyone who is interested:

join