It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could you go 24 hours without telling a lie?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Have you ever gone 24 hours or even thought about going 24 hours without telling a lie?

How would going that long without lying change your life?

Would it be for better or worse?

How long could you last without telling a lie to someone?

Just curious.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Nemo001

I have never lied in my life...

damn.... i failed

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I very often go 24 hours or more without telling a lie.

I don't talk to all that many people, and don't have much of anything to lie about. Typically when I lie, it's excuses for being late.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I've gone several days without lieing. The people I associate knows which questions I simply won't answer, and I like to keep to myself, so they avoid asking those questions. So I wont have to lie

[edit on 25-2-2009 by Beltha]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I do it all the time. The problem with lying is that, once you tell one, you'll have to tell another to cover it up at some point.

I can say for certain, however, that it can get you in more trouble than if you had lied.

The smarter thing to do, is avoid those conversations that only leave you the choice of lying or disclosing a secret that you promised to keep.

No lie.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
24 hours, not a problem, I do try to not tell lies.. If it was a few months then i may have the odd issues, but nothing really drastic,

The only lies i really tell would be the ones that save someone from being hurt,

Lies are destructive but sometimes needed,

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I havent told a lie in a couple of weeks now ... I'm going into withdraws ... Obama was born in Hawaii
911 was a outside job

whew - thanks I needed that....

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
It's really not that hard to go a full 24 without telling a lie. Just be brutally honest long enough for you to find friends that don't mind honesty. That's what I did. It helps you don't get ask questions so much for fear of your honest answer.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
does not answering questions or changing the subject count as lying?

if not then i could do it easily.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
How about telling lies to the self? Self delusion is very common, and also very destructive. I also think that it is easier miss self lies than lying to others. try it sometime, do it for longer than 24 hours. See what sort of results it brings.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Nemo001

Yes.
Second line, I am not lying.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I must of gone for 24 hour periods with out telling a single lie... But that is because there have been time where I have gone 24 hour periods without talking to a single person in any form (face to face / phone / Internet or written)... It's just a facet of my personality, I'm not a hermit - but I can be perfectly happy on my own, I don't always need to seek out human contact.

Although when I feel like it I will lie like a pig in it's own mess! Quite often I will weave a web of seemingly normal and mundane lies and sit back and watch the mental cogs turn... It's can be days untill a 20 watt light bulb clicks on and they figure out I've been pulling their legs... Then they work backwards and realise exactly how bizarre my little story line actually was
It works fantastically with kids... My niece believes that a ruined castle near where we live is so haunted that the ruins actually transform back into a castle on a special night, and people have been lost because they stayed inside until sunrise

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
My vocation requires me to be honest and tell the truth at all times.
So yes, I can go 24 hours without telling a lie with no problem.

The biggest thing that pisses me off is when other people lie to me.
I watch people swear to tell the truth in court and then I catch them in a lie. And it's that lie they tell that loses them their case.

It's lies that have torn apart the relationship I've had with my husband for 20 years.
And yes, I'm a prick about honesty. I don't lie, and I expect those around me to be truthful at all times. This includes even deception by omission, little white lies, and all other forms of dishonesty........

I'm brutally honest at all times and I notice that it bothers some people.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Anxiety D... Some people run from the truth... hell some are spoon fed fakery their whole lives. It's no wonder. It's all about the Memetic Plastic Fantastic...

any who...

This song goes perfectly in this thread

Innerpartysystem - Don't Stop Version 2 (official)

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Generally speaking, I'm a truthful person but occasionally telling the plain, unvarnished truth doesn't help anybody.

At those times I tend to keep quiet.

I've found a good way to tell a lie is to tell the absolute truth with a big smile on my face, then no-one believes me.

Another consideration is, how entitled to the truth are the nosey people who ask you personal and impertinent questions?

What I really hate is when I tell the truth (seriously) and get called a liar. That hurts a lot. More, I think, than when people lie to me.

And I do hate being lied to. I'm not the sort of scary person who people should feel afraid to tell anything. I've never had a go at someone for telling me the truth.

So, for most 24 hours I could go happily without lying, but if a situation arose where it was absolutely, life or death necessary*, I'd lie with no pangs of conscience.

* If someone asked me if their 'bum looked big in this' and it did - I'd tell them.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by berenike]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I'd say I could go 24 hours very easily. I've come to the realization that life is much easier when you only need to live, or relive it, one way. Lies build and what matters gets lost. Rarely do I tell a lie to those around me and when I do lie to whomever, it's normally for a good reason.

Significant other, work, family, etc. I am typically very honest with.

If I'm late for work, I'll say why. If I'm calling off of work, I'll tell them exactly why. This has gotten me into trouble before. Not that I call off for ridiculous reasons, but rather than just saying "I'm sick", I'll give it to them straight. When family asks why I didn't pick up the phone, I'll say the truth which is usually that I didn't want to talk to them. I love them dearly, but I don't always want to talk on the phone.

How do I look? How did that taste? Those among others are where lies make sense and will be utilized. Outside of that, say it how it is. In the long run, even if on the short-term you may get an odd look or a less than ideal response, I think people respect you for your honesty.

I hope, at least.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
This thread has had me thinking. It has me watching what I say to others, and yes, I lied today to make someone feel more comfortable.

I had to photograph an elderly woman to document her injuries. Very personal pictures that required her to remove her clothing. And I lied.

I told her everything would be OK, but I don't know that for sure.:shk:
I told her it was just us in the room and she shouldn't worry about undressing, but that wasn't true. My camera was also in the room and those pictures will be shown in court one day.

You might say I was just helping her through a difficult situation when I assured her of her privacy, but those pictures become public record as soon as they're entered into evidence.

I realize now that some deception is necessary just to get by in the world.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
The lies that I always found to be interesting are the ones generated from common courtesy. Such as when you show up to work and the person asks you how are you today, when really they could care less how you are doing. or when you are having a crappy day, yet common courtesy dictates that one should say... I am having a great day.

Or how about the cashier that makes a pittance working for a company that is reaping the rewards for their hard work. Policy dictates they must wear a smile on their face, and say have a nice day. It's tough wishing another well when you know you are getting screwed. This all does boil down to attitude though.

How about the people that make grundles of money and tell themselves they are successful, yet powered by a me mentality; They need to screw the next person squeezing their turnip to make an extra buck. Or the people that think they need the newest fashion to feel in the hip, and pretty like the other plastic fantastics.

Or the soul sucking status symbol psychophants that need that iphone, Hummer, humongous credit built house of cards, or deluded dogmatic deluge to make them feel like somebody, like they got God on their back. Or is just a monkey playing an organ grinder... And they are dancing to the tune?

Or the person that says I can't or you can't because everyone else believes it to be this way. Words... are lies or better yet fractured,condensed, compartmentalised, side effects of spoken language. Which takes away from the moment.

However how fruitful would experience be without verbal comunication? If stasis / order / silence / balance = death... Then dynamic / chaos / words / imbalance = life?

It is said that the world began with the word! Is that a lie. Perhaps this is circular reasoning.

[edit on 2/28/2009 by eye open doors]

new topics

top topics

join