It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bradycardia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Well..where to start?

After my latest mishap and trip to hospital I was held back for ages for numerous ECG,blood pressure,sugar tests,liver screen etc...
(I only went in for my back
)

So,it appears I have a slight case of bradychardia.. ie a slow heart beat.
Apparently it should be in the 60-90 bpm range and mine decides it can't be arsed to work more than 42-48.

Now I have to go back in a couple of weeks for more checks as it was decided I must have been taking 'beta-blockers'?????
What the heck??
For gawds sake I'm drinking every natural metabolic booster known to man to burn some extra wobbly bits off..
Green tea,
Caffiene
Kelp supplements..

I should be swinging from the ceiling fan making "whoop whoop" noises..

Now I'm wondering how slow it would be going if I wasn't taking those things to 'perk me up'.

So,assistance required..

Does anyone have a similar complaint,and what did you do/get to alleviate the problem.?

(Please,only legal and natural solutions)

..and preferably low calorie

(edit title.. carnt evin spel it)

[edit on 25-2-2009 by AGENT_T]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Hi AgentT. Sorry to hear about your trip to the hospital.

Bradycardia literally means "slow heart". Any number of factors can cause the SA note to get out of its natural pacemaking rhythm. It's not likely that any of your energy drinks have beta blockers in them but energy drinks with ephedra in them can cause all sorts of heart problems, including heart attacks.

I don't keep up with the latest and greatest on energy drinks but I thought ephedra had been banned. If you're not taking ephedra in any form then the docs may want to hook you up with a pacemaker or combo of pacemaker and defibrillator.

I'd try a change in diet first and quick before they start you on a bunch of pills. I, too, have a slow heart rate (drops to 30-40 when asleep) but was able to correct it by switching to a blood type specific diet. Doctors tell me it's nonsense but you can't argue with results.

The problem with bradycardia is that if your heart rate drops enough, other pacemaking parts of your heart will kick in to overcompensate and could throw you into a life-threatening rhythm like ventricular tachycardia with a heart rate over 200. Very bad.

Not giving medical advice here just a friendly bit of common sense. If the energy drinks are causing you problems, get off of them. Diet and exercise are really the best way to lose weight anyway. I know you didn't mention energy drinks like red bull but caffeine and green tea (with caffeine) are also considered energy drinks.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

You're right,ephedra is banned,I heard it can enlarge the heart too.

I only use natural products like the green tea as I heard it can boost your metabolism.
It does actually perk you up,and has been used for about 4000 years If I recall.

The only time I ever tried Red Bull was with Vodka..Never again.

Kelp supplements contain iodine,which in the correct dosage,promotes healthy thyroid function.(Just started taking them.. hmmmm..)
It shouldn't be needed,but UK soil is low in iodene after the last ice age(was last two weeks in January
)
Brits get it mainly from dairy,but I avoid that as it wrecks my throat and does funny things to my digestive system,which I won't go into..(where's the running smiley?)

I don't buy other 'energy drinks' as they have dangerous levels of caffiene and are just laced with sugar anyway.

I'm generally a very relaxed person anyway,got out of the 'rat race' lifestyle 16 years ago,so stress isn't really an issue.

To be honest I think it's due to an underactive thyroid.as I can get fat looking at a sugar cube,get carpal/tingles at night.Light headed/light brained.

Doctors are funny aren't they.
They scoff at natural remedies,then prescribe a bunch of drugs which,when you look at the label,contain all the stuff you were taking anyway.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Are you familiar with the "Eat Right For Your Blood Type" diet? I lost about 30 pounds on that very quickly. Don't have to count calories or weigh portions. Just have to avoid foods that are not good for your blood type. I quit having chest pain after starting that diet.

You mentioned back pain which can be a symptom of a heart attack. I take it you know all the symptoms of a heart attack?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T

get carpal/tingles at night.Light headed/light brained.

I could be wrong, but I actually think those sound like symptoms of the bradycardia

Anyway, I hope things go well with the followup. It's a little bizarre to me that they think you were taking beta blockers but you were unaware of doing so. Although apparently some athletes do take them to improve performance (especially in things that require great steadiness like riflery) so maybe some sports supplements have substances that act similarly

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I've heard of that diet yeah.,worth looking into.
I'm always interested in varying health routines..especially when crocked and gym-less again.

I started the "6 balanced with protein meals a day" diet..(My own name.. I don't think it'll catch on haha.)
Eat enough protein to keep your lean muscle mass..and whatever you can fit in after that.
It's VERY filling.. all with natural unprocessed foods too.

I lost 20kg since August-ish.

The back pain is unrelated(fractured and displaced L1 vertebrae),hence the original weight gain and recurring problems.

I think my blood type is the commonest one..fortunately,easier to get extra top-ups when required.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat It's a little bizarre to me that they think you were taking beta blockers but you were unaware of doing so...

Yes I know,tell me about it.
It's as though they were calling me a bare faced liar.

I don't do anything that they would be required,any more relaxed and I'd be upside down.

I checked all the ingredients in my supplements too.Nothing mysterious or unknown.
I'm a very careful shopper.
All food is organic where practical.

I was wondering about the enzyme found in turkey though,the one that makes you sleepy after xmas dinner..
Further studies warranted haha

Edit..
NO WAYY!!

en.wikipedia.org...

Check out the levels in dried egg whites..
I do have a protein shake a couple of times a day too.. and egg white omelettes...and chicken..and turkey all the time.

It's like spiking your sports drink with Horlicks...

Honestly guys, thanks for the new perspective..Sometimes the answer is right in front of you.
I'll take this new info back to the next hospital appointment.

I'm really surprised no one considered this when I had to reel off my diet/routine etc..
Bluddy quacks..:bash:

[edit on 25-2-2009 by AGENT_T]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I'm really surprised no one considered this when I had to reel off my diet/routine etc..
Bluddy quacks..:bash:

Truthfully, in all likelihood no one even looked at it. They just have a paper to fill out for legal purposes. If nothing you rattle off jumps up and screams "that's the problem right there!" (ie: ephedra) then they don't give your diet a second thought.

The only time doctors are interested in your supplements is if one of them might interfere with surgery and cause extra bleeding (there are a few) or if it's one known to interfere with the drug they're giving you. Then they'll tell you to quit taking the supplement.

I, too, have disc/back problems and use an essential oil blend for the pain. Since I'm allergic to codeine that rules out most of the available analgesics for pain relief. Demerol (the ONE time I've taken it) worked swell and didn't have any mood altering effects but god help you if you go in the emergency department asking for demerol.

If they did an EKG at the hospital, you should have some idea of what is causing the lowered heart rate (blockage, etc.). Did they tell you anything at all? You can U2U if you don't want to share your personal medical information with the world.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Information was very limited coming my way..
I was more interested in getting to x-ray to be honest,as I was told the next step is a vertebrae bridging op,if things looked bad enough.
(They'd have to saw me in half before I'd agree to it. )

Bless em,the NHS is free but sadly lacking in customer communication.
Was just told HR was very slow,but since pressure,lungs,blood screen etc was fine,just to go back for further reading after making a detailed diary of diet and such.

(Surely the blood screen would have picked out any 'hidden ingredients' anyway?)

I asked the GP why the hospital tests in the first place,he said they were looking for suspected cases of meningitis,hence the reason I was stuck in a separate room.

Will be heading back end of next week,so will quiz them and point out the 'poultry/tryptophan' thing.

Maybe I should chuck down some chocolate,donuts and ice-cream,just to make the heart work a little more..

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Information was very limited coming my way..
I was more interested in getting to x-ray to be honest,as I was told the next step is a vertebrae bridging op,if things looked bad enough.
(They'd have to saw me in half before I'd agree to it. )

I talked to about 20 different people that had spinal fusion done while considering the docs recommendation that I get one and decided against it. Without exception, everyone who'd had it done said the pain was gone for about 6-12 months then returned. Wouldn't even be finished paying for the surgery before needing something else. I guess in your case that wouldn't be so much a consideration but if it's ultimately ineffective then why bother?

[/quote[(Surely the blood screen would have picked out any 'hidden ingredients' anyway?)

One would hope so but I've seen lab results for WOMEN come back with elevated PSA level(prostate test); men come back with positive pregnancy tests. LOL. I'm not sure I'd trust the lab results anyway. If they thought you were having a heart attack they would have done a standard cardiac profile and that's ALL they would have even looked for.

I asked the GP why the hospital tests in the first place, he said they were looking for suspected cases of meningitis, hence the reason I was stuck in a separate room.

Did they do a lumbar puncture? Were you complaining of neck pain or stiffness? Massive headache? Do you have an outbreak of meningitis in your area?

Will be heading back end of next week, so will quiz them and point out the 'poultry/tryptophan' thing.

I don't think tryptophan would slow your heart rate enough to require a pacemaker.

Maybe I should chuck down some chocolate,donuts and ice-cream,just to make the heart work a little more..

Might make your liver work a little harder. Fairly certain it's not that great for the heart. LOL. Best of luck and let us know how it goes with your next appt.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

"Temporary relief" = EXACTLY :bnghd:

Who in their right mind would subject themselves to being cut open,through all those layers of protective muscle(and extra wobble bits
) opened down to the spine,at the risk of infection or mishap,for a temp pain relief solution?.
I must admit, I thought it was a little more than 12 months though.!!That defies physics.. IE blows and sucks.!!

I use electricity lol.

Well the 'long story' bit was the reason I was there in the first place.
I had suffered from a headache lasting a few days,had a rash on my chest,(which was probably from honey roasted peanut crumbs down my shirt anyway).
Got out of bed a bit yukky,(too suddenly maybe)and hit the floor after blacking out.
Of course I twisted my back on the way down,had a degree of 'movement' in the original injury..which is getting easier now anyway after buying one of those 'powerbars'-door mounted chin up bars and a set of gravity boots to do bat impersonations with

The upshot of the whole trip was... I was suffering from 'flu',and the reason I wasn't 'snotty' was because I use one of those nasal syringes with saline solution regularly anyway.

The return visit is also to see if the HR speeds up after said 'flu virus' has passed.

Sounds like voodoo hokum to me..
Real medical translation...
"Well we haven't got a clue,and it's Monday and we can't really be arsed,so we'll pass you on to whoever happens to be working in a fortnight,BTW here's a bag of Codeine,Ibrufen and amitriptyline,take whatever colour matches your complexion that day"

:bnghd:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
That's hilarious! Mainly because it's so spot on. LMAO!

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Well,you were right about the 'dietary' tryptophan.
Apparently a tiny percentage of it gets through to the brain chemistry anyway so that ain't it.

Just have to watch for any further drop in tempo at this stage and report any change.

I dunno,even the midnight drivers didn't bother me enough to speed it up.
You know the ones..

They think that they are fooling people into believing they aren't drunk by driving 42mph down a 70mph motorway,nose pressed against the windscreen,usually blocking your turn off so you have to to a rapid deceleration to get behind them or speed up to get past and risk missing your turn.

Actually I think I broke the 50 bpm barrier on that one..

I bought a new watch/heart rate monitor which I'm gonna try out when I risk the gym tomorrow.

So if you hear a loud crack and a "SONOFA!!!" you know where it came from.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Best of luck with that, Agent_T. Little helpful hint: When you rise from a lying to standing position, do it slowly, sitting on the side of the bed for a minute before standing up. When you're sitting, stand slowly.

If you have that slow a heart rate you probably have a little orthostatic hypotension which just means that your blood pressure drops with any changes in "elevation" (ie: standing after sitting, etc.). It's easy to forget that you have that, jump up too fast and keel right over. Little embarrassing too.

If you really do need an implanted pacemaker, docs don't usually like to wait too long to get those in. If you need it, you need it. *shrugs* Let us know how it goes.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
If you have that slow a heart rate you probably have a little orthostatic hypotension which just means that your blood pressure drops with any changes in "elevation"

That's happened for as far back as I remember,I quite like the floating feeling so try to keep doing it while getting up.

I can't remember my last 'medical' before this incident,usually my trips to hospital involve unconsciousness,damaged bones/limbs and lots of blood...So don't really take notice of heart speed

I suppose the dizziness side of things hasn't gotten worse,so means it isn't slowing too much.

Back to gym again,again(again) no creaking or snapping of vertebrae so far after week 1.
Just have to start all over again on fitness (cardio) again.

I get it up to 144 on the running machine,I just don't know if I want to

Many thanks for your advice and concern though

top topics

join