It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


question about w-2 forms and marriage....and legalities

page: 1

log in


posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:50 PM
k, i just got married and am to change my lastname, and it on the marriage license but we havent gone to social security yet to change it and also a new drivers license name. this may take a while.

i just got a new job and was filling out the w-2 forms today and i wasnt sure what lastname to put, so, my employer told me to put my to-be married lastname on it.

so... after getting home, i looked up info and well, is this illegal what i did?
i have the marriage license proof and thats all legal, but am i gonna get in trouble for this if it gets to the tax/irs place before i can get my new name all legal??

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:11 AM
Laws vary from state to state but I would think if you got your marriage license then it's official, so you did nothing wrong.

Heck, I once had to get a divorce after a breakup because long story short, it was a common law marriage. No license was ever involved.
So I can say I've never been married but I've been divorced.

You should check with a lawyer.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:21 AM
no, you do indeed have to go to social security to get your name officially changed to go onto your social security account. they send you a new SS card, same number but with new name attached.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:26 AM
Don't sweat it. You got proof to show why you added name. Plus most of those forms are completed by SSN.

I also believe you are referring to the w-4 form one fills out when they get a new job, not w-2. The purpose of this form is mainly to calculate the taxes they will withhold from your check for tax purposes.

new topics

top topics

log in