It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comments on Obama's Speech to Congress, Feb. 25?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I thought he hit it out of the ballpark. He was confident, poised, optimistic, in control of his material and, as usual, inspiring . He made it clear that his three major objectives for the next year will be education, energy and health care reform--which he plans to accomplish along with his economic policies and attention to Iraq and Afghanistan. His objectives were received with resounding applause from his audience, and even the Republicans stood up and applauded him several times. It was Obama at his best.

My lack of a more critical perspective is obvious, and maybe I'm still too much the Obama-maniac I was during the campaign. I just can't think of anything negative to say.

But my husband, an amateur historian with a broad knowledge of the Civil War and the period of reconstruction that followed, had one objection to the speech. Obama claimed the transcontinental railroad was completed during the Civil War. In fact, the laying of the "golden spike" which signified its completion wasn't until May 10, 1869--during Grant's administration. In addition, the building of the transcontinental railroad engendered the "Credit Mobilier" scandal, widely considered to be the biggest economic scandal in American history. So evoking the transcontinental railroad might not be the best example Obama could have chosen.

To me it's a nitpicky point, but it's hard to argue with an historian, who particularly wanted me to include this in the comments section.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I personally stopped watching half way though the speech. He's just spouting the same political dribble from his campaign. I was optimistic that Obama would help this country but when he passed the Stimulus Bill, I lost faith.
(Please read the Gloomy Predictions for 2009 link in my signature, as to why the Stimulus Bill is a completely horrible idea)

I was lucky enough to turn the TV back on when the Louisiana Governor started his horrid attempt at representing the GOP.

I have lost faith in the US Government.

Edit: I thought I would add that his vocal speech giving style is inspiring but that doesnt mean I agree with him.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Honestly,I thought it was fairly decent. However, he has some pretty lofty goals and I am not sure of the feasibility of all of them, but, we'll see.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Obama "I will find a cure for cancer"

This only says to me they already have the cure.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
Obama "I will find a cure for cancer"

This only says to me they already have the cure.

Haven't you heard?
Stem Cells will cure all disease!
Even Obesity!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

haha.

three lines.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I couldn't believe all the hoopla leading up to yet another televised Obama speech.
Aye caramba, looks like the honeymoon still ain't over yet.

Jeez man, everyone was acting as if it was some gala event and for what?

The same old same old stuff he has been spewing since before he got elected,
Somebody needs to tell him the election is over and he can stop campaigning now because he won.

He'll probably say the same thing tomorrow when he gives his next speech somewhere.

Let's just hope the market doesn't take another dive tomorrow.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

The stock market is set to go up slightly tomorrow over this hoopla but once the investors and people realize its a load of crud they will fall very fast.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Has he finish speaking yet?

Just the same o same o in my book.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I avoided the whole thing as I have a really bad taste in my mouth. I think Obama needs to think about everything he says he's going to do. Like how is he going to cut the deficit in half after the stimulus that just passed? ugh!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

I think you're right about the market going up tomorrow because Obama was a little more positive this time around.
Seems he's been way too pessimistic about the economy in general during his last several speeches.

As long as he keeps Geithner quiet, the market should be OK.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by hisbirdie
I avoided the whole thing as I have a really bad taste in my mouth. I think Obama needs to think about everything he says he's going to do. Like how is he going to cut the deficit in half after the stimulus that just passed? ugh!

ahhhh ... the self called Obama fanatics .. they should remember the last scumbag, bush, also promised to slash the budget/deficit as well as all kinds of bs that never happened.

he said nothing special, he speaks great, which to a simple mind is pleasing enough. from his actions he is bush incarnate... whith a better ability to speak.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Didn't mention this?

online.wsj.com...

Hmmmmm....

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

Well isnt that the cream on the cake.

You dont hear much about what Biden is doing. You gotta wonder what's going on in his neck of the woods.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Yeah! Great propaganda speech! but!....

The automobile was an American invention? I don't think so!

The automobile as we know it, is a German invention!

1885 - Karl Benz built an automobile powered by an Otto gasoline engine. He received a patent in the 1886 for the same. Mr. Benz is generally credited with the invention of the modern automobile.

But don't let that small & unimportant matter, stand in the way for a great speech to rally the masses!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Did I hear him say he was going to cut a trillion dollars out of the budget??

Did I also hear him say he was going to make sizeable cuts in defense spending? Well I will believe it when I see it...but I hope it's true!

Still did not hear him talk about NAFTA GATT and WTO. We want our factories and jobs back and you cannot "compete" against 10 cent an hour labor. I liked when he mentioned the ending of tax breaks for companies that send jobs overseas.

I am willing to give the guy a chance. But when he let Karl Rove slide...

I want the rule of law restored for all citizens of all political parties and social classes. This "let's look forward not back" giving a pass to criminals does nothing to restore my confidence in justice.

One thing about the Obama administration is I believe TPTB have no more bubbly distractions so he will be forced to deliver or be a one termer if our Republic still exists in 4 years.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
How much time was consumed to clapping?

In my neck of the woods... Its not what you say, its what you do.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

I thought it was a really good speech and he was very effective in doing what he had to do to get people feeling more confident. I wasn't blown away and I spent the first 5 minutes laughing at the pomp and circumstance of the address to Congress. What a group!

But Obama did what he does best. Gave a great speech. And considering the times, lifting any confidence is a pretty big task. He and his speech writer make a great team.

I loved the story of the little girl who sent a letter to all of Congress about her school. That was pretty cool.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Eh...I was kind of annoyed by it. I didn't even think he spoke all that well. It seemed like he was trying to hard to sound passionate about things, and it just came across as fake to me.

The substance of the speech...some good, some bad...then again, I'm kind of a middle of the road independant. One thing that really pissed me off, though, is when he went on about cutting out ear marks and pork, yet this last stimulus bill...the savior of our economy, was LOADED with them. Sure, they cut a couple things out that didn't need to be there, but boy, they could have cut out soooo much more.

Obama is a hypocrit. I think originally his heart was in the right place, but I think he's already been corrupted in just his short time in D.C. He's doin' a lot of talking, but I don't think he'll be able to back it up.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Man.... that was an awesome episode of "Obama". The speech was expected, but what I really enjoyed was watching the members of congress faces when all the different statements came out. The best part of the full show was when one of the members rolled his eyes in disbelief. To do what he proposes in his new outline would require all those members to give up all the cushy perks they have built up with their supporters.
It will be interesting to see if congress is going to actually work for the people instead of the corps that sponsor their bankrolls for re-election.

I can't wait for the next episode......

top topics

<<   2 >>

join