It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Draft Protest = Terrorism?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   
If a draft were to start could protesting and/or refusing to go be considered an act of terrorism by the Patriot Act, effectively stripping us of our constitutionally guarenteed rights?

Anyone else think the "land of the free" is starting to feel more like a Fascist Corprate state? Hopefully there are still enough people in America to keep our government in check and maintain what it truely means to be American. I'm deeply disturbed by the current state of our country.

[Edited on 16-4-2004 by tacitblue]

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:10 AM
link   
No! In the 60's, we were terribly ignorant. I was talking to a coworker today about people being on the national media saying things like "Those 'n-word's need to get out of the country" But people still protested the war, and when they did it right (getting a permit, which is easy, Martin Luther King did it in Alabama) nothing happened to them. When they didn't get the permit, and when they tried to incite volence, that is when they were censored.

We'll always be able to dissent against the government (assuming the patriot act doesn't suddeny become loved by the general population). Protest. Shoot yourself in the foot if this happens. Personally, I don't think it will. We have one of the most incredible armies because our troops are volentiers. If we were to start the draft, we would lost that status. Don't think it's going to happen, thankfully. Heh, and if it does, wait 2 years, I'll be too old by then.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:20 AM
link   
As much as i dislike bush (and his administration, thanks jungle for letting me know i should be specific there) i doubt they would go as far as to state someone as a terrorist for protesting (with or without a permit) a draft...

as for needing a permit... why should you need a permit to protest... if the government didnt want you to protest something they would just not give you a permit... i think protest should be allowed anywhere anytime (as long as they dont get violent) as long as you let the authorities know (traffic and crowd control reason)...

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I actually agree with the permit laws. I didn't used to, until I talked with someone who did, and they explained it to me. The permit is to allow the government to know you're going to have a protest. Most protests are on controversial issues, and many people, in their passion, try to do physical harm to their opposers. Take, for example, the people who hurt or kill abortion doctors. I don't like the act, but I'd never cause physical harm to someone for doing it.

Not only does a permit inform the government, but it allows them to get police to protect the first amendment. If MLK hadn't gotten the permit, the police may never have been there on his march in Alabama, but the KKK may have. The permit is for the protection of the protesters, because it allows legitimate security to be put there.

I gotta say, when my friend explained this to me, my mouth dropped. One of the few times I had no way to defend my opinion.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Well since the law states that every man must sign up for the Selective Service within 30 days of his 18th birthday, you are already on the books and your number can be drawn. If you resist the call or run, you can be extradited back to the US if you pick somewhere like Canada as a place to run to. Trying to get out the draft legally would require something religious basically, because even if you dont have perfect physical health, you can still serve in a support role rather than front-line.

Also bear in mind that if you try to resist the draft, not only will the government come down on you, but many of your fellow americans will just. I dare say some of the extremeists out there would probably do damage to personal property, or even physical violence in some cases to someone who was resisting the draft.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   
The govt may not be the ones to accuse you of being a terrorist for protesting the draft, but be sure some of your fellow Americans probably will....many already do so, by calling people terrorist supporters, lovers, and apologists.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I in no way support terrorist acts but I think one must take a step back and look at the big picture. I can understand why people around the world would be angry at the US. Our government is in many way no better than those who plotted and executed 9/11.

But none the less we live in the land of ignorance. People really don't care what the rest of the world has to say since the American way is always the "right" way.

I have my reasons for why I will not go to war if drafted. This war is a pointless use of lives, money, resources, and environment.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
It seems to me that if you have a true democracy where the government follows the will of the people, then there should not in theory be an unpopular war.

If a war is seen as just, then there will always be sufficient volunteers to fill the military ranks. If American soil is genuinely under serious threat, I cannot imagine vast numbers of able bodied men NOT stepping forward to defend their home and country.

It is when the politicians start wars for dubious and so obviously corrupt reasons, that good men are not in any great hurry to sacrifice themselves.

I see nothing morally wrong with objecting to a war. Conscription is not freedom, it is slavery.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Do you want to serve? (on the draft board that is.)

new topics

top topics

join