It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mahtoosacks

This is a complete and total myth.

An adult dog even at 10 years old can become the most loyal and listening companion.

There have been strays found that have been trained to be very good dogs.

I don't know why anyone wants to deal with a puppy. The training, the chewing, the energy.
A friend of mine said she had to have a puppy, thinking they were more loyal. After 6 months she was ready to take it back to the pound when it ate several pieces of furniture.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
The funny thing is that a lot of people buy pedigrees, and they come with PAPERS. OOOOHHHHH

And they brag about that.

Fact is, the really goods one the breeders keep to show. What they sell are the lesser quality ones. They don't think a breeder is going to sell a blue ribbon do they?

What drives me crazy is fad breeds. The little dog in the gucci bag drives me nuts. They are animals, not accessories.

And a movie comes out and everyone wants one and runs and gets one. After 101 dalmations, there were a massive surge of dalmations to the rescues, because no one bothered to do the research to find that dalmations can be lousy family dogs, and are so high energy that they couldn't take care of them. They were orginally bred to run between the wheels of carriages, for miles, to keep up with horses. Think they can stick around a house?

There are times where needing a breed is necessary. For instance, my bff who is a single mother in a shady neighborhood, needed a dog that was both an effective gaurd dog, but good with children. Did her research and found it.

To me that is a good reason. Not to fit into a guchhi bag or because you like the color.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Dinamo

My mom adopted a katrina dog last year. Yes the poor thing was locked in a kennel for two years. Person bothered to rescue them to neglect them. A local man made great effort to find homes for them. This poor pup was found wandering the streets. he was a big ugly black dog. Which are the hardest to find homes for.We call him the couch, he is barrel chested, lots of thick hair, got one floppy ear from an injury, but is adorable to us. Despite all he has been through, he is smart. loyal, and loving.
We knew he must of been on the streets for a while, for to this day if he sees a mcdonalds bag, he guns for it. Probably because he had figured out they contain leftovers.

I call my mom the matron saint of lost cause animals, because she can't pass up hard luck animals.She has nursed this guy back to health. And named him after the guy who searched for homes for him.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
many people love english bulldogs

but they come with a whole list of potential medical problems,,,to many to list

and many get them ,,,unaware and then dump them when it gets hard or costly

many are up for adoption on petfinder and they all usually have some health problem and we're dumped because someone was unwilling to pay or take the time needed for daily treatments

sad really

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Nice to know there are people like you and your mom.

thumbs
for black one rescued.
send mom a greetings from me.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Everybody calm down.
This is a controversial subject in the dog world.

Purebred dogs are not better than mutts and mutts are not better than purebred dogs. I share my home with 2 of each, and all of them are fantastic and beautiful, wonderful, loving (spoiled) animals.

The only one with a genetic disorder is one of the mutts.

The keys to buying a purebred dog are research and finding a "good breeder". One who isn't in it for the money (in fact, probably doesn't make a dime from it), but to better the breed. My GSDs parents are show champions and I've seen all the medical history from their pedigree. They conform to the breed standard and are very healthy examples of the breed.

There's nothing inherently wrong with breeding. It's the people who think they can make a quick buck by breeding their dog with the one down the street without medical testing that are causing trouble for the entire group. It's the back Yard Breeders who should be ashamed and put out of business.

Lumping all purebred dogs into one group is not accurate. Because, as with most things in life, there are good and bad.

I couldn't watch the videos, but I know the problems of carelessly-bred dogs. It's terribly sad and I'm very much against it.

Crazy Dog Lady...
BH

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
The funny thing is that a lot of people buy pedigrees, and they come with PAPERS. OOOOHHHHH

And they brag about that.

And people "rescue" dogs and brag about that. Don't they?

Fact is, the really goods one the breeders keep to show. What they sell are the lesser quality ones. They don't think a breeder is going to sell a blue ribbon do they?

That's not a fact at all. Many people have "pick of the litter". And it's hard to tell at 8 weeks which is going to be the best. Breeders sell blue-ribbon dogs all the time. How do you think other people get those dogs? That doesn't even make sense.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I remember seeing the documentary in question, and it was heartbreaking. Particularly the boxer with epilepsy....my last two dogs developed this condition and I know first hand how traumatic it can be. All my dogs have been rescued or rehomed, not always because of neglect, and I cannot get my head arond how people can think that they will love and animal more if it has a fine pedigree...what the hell difference does it make? In my experience, a rescue dog loves you more.

I was really sickened in the documentary by these stuffy old lady kennel club dog breeders, who breed Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs. What I didn't realise if that the ridge on the back of one of these pups is actually an indicator of a mild form of spina bifida, so technically these dogs are ill, but what do these potty old ladies do? They find a "nice old country vet" who will put the healthy pups to sleep...the ones WITHOUT! the ridge...because they can't sell them, and don't want to risk breeding more healthy dogs....I just about was sick on the spot when I heard that one. Generally the gene pools for most breeds are very depleted, and I can't see any alternative future for these sad little pups but more illness and more misery.

In my opinion....scrap the Kennel Club, ban the type of breeding it promotes, and bring back the dog license...with an exam, yearly fee, and people who can enforce it. *rant, rant, rant..!!*

On a side note...Benevolent Heretic...I love your dog photos, and your babies always look so magnificent, well behaved, just downright gorgeous...I have a GSD, who is all of those things, but only off camera. If I try to take a photo of him, almost without exception, I get picutes of his arse...his fault, not mine, you understand!
Any hints on how to get them to pose like yours do? I will be very grateful.

Cait x

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I sent you a U2U caitlin

Originally posted by caitlinfae
What I didn't realise if that the ridge on the back of one of these pups is actually an indicator of a mild form of spina bifida,

I don't know if you misheard this or the person misspoke, but this isn't true. The ridge is from a South African tribal dog in the Ridgeback's ancestry.

Spina Bifida is one of the health concerns of the Ridgeback, just like hip dysplasia is a health concern of GSDs.

Rhodesian Ridgebacks

They needed dogs that could operate in both temperature extremes while performing their occupations of hunting and guarding. To achieve this goal, they bred their imported dogs with a Hottentot tribal dog. This tribal dog had a distinctive “ridge” of fur along its spine. This new breed was adept at both sight and scent hunting. Sometime in the 1870s, many of these dogs were taken to Rhodesia to aid in lion hunts.

Ridgeback

Health Problems

The number one major Health concern for the Rhodesian Ridgeback is dermoid sinus, with a minor concern as hip dysplasia. Dermoid Sinus in the Rhodesian Ridgeback is also called dermoid cyst, hair cyst, and African cyst. The Dermoid Sinus is similar to Spina Bifida in humans, and is a congenital condition that is present at birth, located on the midline of the neck, back, and tail along the spinal column. The abscess will form and resulting swelling will rupture the puppy's skin, which is not only painful but can be life threatening.

That's why they put the pups to sleep.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae

On a side note...Benevolent Heretic...I love your dog photos, and your babies always look so magnificent, well behaved, just downright gorgeous...I have a GSD, who is all of those things, but only off camera. If I try to take a photo of him, almost without exception, I get picutes of his arse...his fault, not mine, you understand!
Any hints on how to get them to pose like yours do? I will be very grateful.

Cait x

I have a GSD also that won't allow me to take pictures of him. He always either walks away or puts his ears down and shakes. I chalk it up to me "stealing his soul" with my camera.

A_L

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
muts do seem to make a great dog,,,,,

i have a half english bulldog,,, half boxer

and many of the bad bulldog traits get lost in cross breeding, i just read,,,, which i am so happy about

and he is the best dog i ever had,,,,my best friend

i worry all the time when will he get this or that ,,, or get cancer back again,,,,,,

thinking back now,,, all the best dogs we ever had were muts

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
that's imho a good reson not to fear resurgent creeping Eugenics, all human beings similarly affected, while deplorable, would simply turn out inconsequential. i'll leave it at that...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join