It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Pedigree Dogs Exposed

news.bbc.co.uk

TOO SMALL FOR ITS OWN BRAIN

Pedigree Dogs Exposed is a BBC One investigative documentary, produced by Jemima Harrison, which looks into the health issues facing pedigree dogs in the United Kingdom.

A BBC documentary says they are suffering acute problems because looks are emphasised over health when breeding dogs for shows.

The programme shows spaniels with brains too big for their skulls and boxers suffering from epilepsy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org
www.youtube.com

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
This is what happens when "beauty" is the main thing to look for in dogs. They breed dogs that look anatomicly correct according to their standards, and the result is dogs that have serious health issues.

I dont have words.. just watch. Its horrific to see the poor animals at home where they suffer from things like epilepsy. Pugs with breathing problems and bulldogs who are unable to mate or give birth unassisted.
Some dogs need help walking.
Their skeletons are deformed.
Heart conditions.
The list goes on and on.

Its animal cruelty, as they are born into pain.

"People are carrying out breeding which would be first of all entirely illegal in humans and secondly is absolutely insane from the point of view of the health of the animals"

Professor Steve Jones
University College London

VIDEOS:
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
[edit on 24-2-2009 by Daniem]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I don't even have to look at the videos to know that over breeding of pedigree dogs results in lots of medical problems. That's why I will never have a pedigree dog. All my dogs are abandoned mutts that I rescued with little to no medical problems and lots of love and enjoyment.

After watching most of the first video, I have to agree with you. It is animal cruetly. Maybe people will learn from this video and realize that a mixed breed dog is the much better choice.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
this is very true ,we had a white German shepherd ,she was the loveliest natured dog we had ever owned ,really intelligent and funny.......but was ill for all of her ten years,cost us hundreds of pounds in vet bills.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Wow....that first video creeped me out just a little bit. In the first 30 seconds or so they show a Boxer and a Cavailer King Charles Spaniel. I happen to own a Boxer and a Cavailer King Charles Spaniel....Im watching them play out in the yard as I type this.

They are even the same colors as the dogs in the videos.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
mutts are not better dogs. they interbred themselves and create problems for themselves, and they are ugly

pure breed dogs are fine, as long as you arent trying to create something crazy that has no purpose... in fact... cant even survive on its own.

of course, i have the best dog ever. he is a pure breed ukc purple ribbon american pitbull terrier named marley (before that stupid movie came out).

he is the sweetest, most behaved animal i have ever seen. he gets along great with all animals and people no matter of age. he is also, like most of his kind, breed for CORRECTNESS, stamina, strength, agility (which is partly his curse).

people need to realize that if you get a genetically altered psycho-pup that there are going to be problems with your "creation" that you didnt forsee.

like labs with bad hips, or dalmations that go insane and attack owners (so interbred to get the spots they go insane), or those ugly little yip yap dogs that have become so popular.

what i hate is that people who say that a mutt is better. i guess you think that it feels like it OWES you for taking it in, and that it in turn acts better.

i guess so, but thats like only helping abused children cus they would love you more than children with a family the whole time. kinda sick if you ask me.

i would also rather get something that i know what is in the blood, and who put it there. Yes of course i knew the breeders. what fool would buy a dog without doing some background first. Only someone lazy would get a dog without checking on how they are taken care of. never get a dog from a flea market and think its going to be fine without problems.

and what makes a dog, that you dont know the age, what blood that can give its personality, what has happened to that dog in the past. if it has any problems mentally, automatically becomes better than a dog who you do know how old (i actually get to celebrate my dogs bday ON his actual bday 4/14/07), you do know what hes carrying (razor edge, og greyline, monster g) and I have been the only motivator in his life since 6.5 weeks old.

how does a mutt compare to that? you get the same companionship if not more from a pedigree, but you might as well forget all of that, SOME idiots out there dont know how to breed dogs without their brains being cramped.

if the dog doesnt look like it can survive, THEN DONT BREED IT. WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF A TINY SHAKING SCARED POOP MACHINE THAT CANT EVEN STAND UP TO A BREEZE IN THE WIND ANYWAYS??

even your abandoned mutt can be bread with purebreed neglicted animals. its a mutt... meaning you never had any control over it. too bad

[edit on 24-2-2009 by mahtoosacks]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I don't think the majority of people realize what they could be in store for when they buy a pedigree dog. Then there are those who won't even consider anything BUT a pedigree dog. I don't think the average person looking for a dog considers the health problems because they don't know about them.

mutts are not better dogs. they interbred themselves and create problems for themselves, and they are ugly

I have to highly disagree with you there. What is ugly to one person, may be beauty to another. If you are looking for a beautiful dog, then by all means, get a pedigree dog with loads of health problems. If you are looking for a loving companion with little to no health problems, then a mix breed is the best way to go.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by virraszto
I don't think the majority of people realize what they could be in store for when they buy a pedigree dog. Then there are those who won't even consider anything BUT a pedigree dog. I don't think the average person looking for a dog considers the health problems because they don't know about them.

thats true. most people dont research anything because we are in the age of mcdonalds, where if something is a fad, THEN BUY IT even tho you dont know anything about it... o and if it breaks, just throw it away.

dont bother the years and dedication that have gone to people who breed fully functional working dogs, and then get it all thrown in their faces when someone comes out with a new STUPIDOODLE that cant even stay alive.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

not all pedigrees have problems.

some do.

oh and some mutts are cute. but ive had my house destroyed by taking in mutts so many times, im burnt on them.

ill never own another dog other than a pedigree pitbull. best dog ever.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by mahtoosacks]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
If people want pedigrees, they should go to a rescue. Period. There are plenty of abandoned pedigree dogs too.

But people want a puppy (absurd) and they want it now.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I totally agree with you. I would guess a lot of the pedigree dogs in shelters are there because the owners can not afford to treat their health problems.

Lots of diabetic dogs and cats end up in shelters, and that can happen to any dog or cat.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
getting a puppy is the best.

you get to train it, and it listens because you are the PARENT. not just some dude who the dog decided to hang out with one day

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

no offense, but why is the crazy cat lady telling people what kind of dog to get ... lol

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I think one of the points that need to be raised is that its not just what's on the outside (beuty) that matters.

Cause thats what they go for to win those contests. nothing else matters exept to meet the criteria for the best looking dog. They engiener dogs to "look like xxx".. To hell with the rest of the dogs abilities and personal behaviour.

I can imagine:
They could accidently get a freak baby dog born, and decide it could be used in a "beauty" competition or whatever. Then they might even proceed to breed the damn thing... A curious looking dog, made to win them prizes, with no thought of the dogs health or that it is a useful, loving or interesting dog.. its just to be used for their gain, while all along it suffers from beeing born into a sick body.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mahtoosacks

no offense, but why is the crazy cat lady telling people what kind of dog to get ... lol

Because I'm also one dog shy of being a crazy dog lady.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
hehe awesome.

noone can say mutts are best and pedigrees are best. its like saying dogs are better than cats.

depends on what kind of mutt, and what kind of pedigree.

but if you notice, the dogs with the most problems.... usually arent in the working dog class.

they get judged just like horses and cattle. BECAUSE THEIR HEALTH IS A MAJORITY OF THEIR GRADE. if it dont live... it dont work.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
My personal experience with dogs is the closer to the "Wolf" genotype the healthier they seem to be, although a bit harder to control as they will have a strong hunting instinct. Huskies are great, if you have the weather for them where you live, otherwise they pass their time panting and are nocturnal. They are smart and with a lot of energy, although perhaps a bit too independent and demanding for people who want a "love" dog. For a loving pet the best I've personally experienced is labradors, although they are not the healthiest of breeds.

However, it depends a lot on the individual dog, there are a lot of healthier examples outside of the showrooms, as nature tries to deviate the species back into healthier forms. Just avoid "vanity" dogs and things will tend to go ok.

And yeah, I dislike the little yap yap dogs like chihuahuas that are so popular these days. The statistics for dogs like this killed by sofa accidents must be horrific...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
mutts are not better dogs. they interbred themselves and create problems for themselves, and they are ugly ]

That's major pure bull. Mongrels are some of the healthiest, and smartest dogs out there.

How do they create problems for themselves

In the Americas, some groups of Grey Wolves mated with common dogs like black Labradors, producing black wolves.

These black wolves do better in the wild, since they are more well suited to hide in the wilderness...

Have you ever seen an labradoodle, a mix of Poodles and Labradors, they're fine, fine dogs that seem bigger than either Labradors or Poodles.

Creating problems among themselves...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
You can overbreed or underbreed any species (just look at people). Actually, we have two very healthy and well-behaved wirehaired pointers -- no health problems. But then, we researched breeders, checked several generations on the pedigrees for problems, etc. They are active, not overweight, and all-around great dogs.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join