It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FIRST PHOTOS: Fish With Transparent Head, "Barrel" Eyes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
FIRST PHOTOS: Fish With Transparent Head, "Barrel" Eyes

February 23, 2009--With a head like a fighter-plane cockpit, a Pacific barreleye fish shows off its highly sensitive, barrel-like eyes--topped by green, orblike lenses--in a picture released today but taken in 2004.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Not a lot of information on this one but just look at its head!
Those eyes and mouth make it look like something from Mario Land, what a cute but weird fish.

The eyes are vertical barrels and it seems to do... virtually nothing.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by and14263]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Wow! It looks fake to me. Not saying that it is because NG is a reputable source, but it looks like a cartoon.

I never thought I'd say this, but that fish is cute.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
That is really cool.
Deep Sea is an absolutely amazing place. We humans tend to be a little species-centric and think we know everything about our planet but deep sea is still a frontier of exploration.
The known deep sea life- especially those with the bioilluminescence are the trippiest creatures I know of.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I might be wrong, but the eyes look as if it's blind. I wonder if this fish sees using some other type of vision such as electrical fields or auras. Although the one pic posted here is cute, the others are not and the last is the worst. I'm sure someone out there wants to eat it for it's mystical properties. Maybe it's friend of Nemo.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Amazing! Nice find!

Funny though, I showed to a couple of friends and their knee-jerk reaction was to bark out "Photoshopped!"

F&S!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Why did it take NG five years to release this picture?

Makes one wonder what they have that they haven't released to the public

Maybe stuff that would put a damper on the 'Earth is the only hospitable place in the Universe' theory.

The battle between science and religion rages into this very day and age.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Wow, pretty amazing. If it wasn't form National Geographic I would say that it is a little 'fishy'. But in the article it says that the picture was taken in 2004, why did it take so for them to release the picture?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
What a weird looking guy. He looks like he should be in Men in Black 3 being piloted by the little grey fella from the first one

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
it seems a few of the barreleye fish has some sort of transparency going on.
here is one.

www.bountyfishing.com...

pro.corbis.com...[73E16BED-EEE0-4D9A-83A3-B3062EE09800]

[edit on 24-2-2009 by gmac1000]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
It is computer generated image, thats for certain, but never the less, they would of generated it out of evidence, (the photo was possible too bad to publish to interest the public maybe? i dunno, but should be a reason)

Very interesting fish though, one of the first thing i noticed was the light in its head and how it seems to be coming from the were the pineal gland is in humans (i dont know if fish have pineal glands, have to say never had the thought of looking into it) but i find that quite interesting.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Looks fake but i don't know much about fish

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

It's not a computer generated image.

It's an actual photo taken in 2004.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Must of been an exreamely good camera then.

Not saying that it is'nt possible to be a real shot, just to me looked too clean to be one.

but as i said, could of been a mega camera,lol

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
here is a video of said fishy

barrel fish

from

liveleak

let the CGI experts begin

peace

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Wow thats one neat fish, and i thought id seen the worst (or is that best) of deep sea weirdness before. What i find so odd is they mention teh green orbs are its eyes, but the fish has what appears as eye sockets above its mouth, or at the very least the remnants of its eye sockets.

As to the Photoshopers debunkers... why would they fake a fish photo?... as for the light, from the shadow it looks like its coming from the right of the fish, given that its right side (the side thats on the left of the image) is in shadow. Also given that the head is transparent, of course the interior would look luminous since the light would be reflecting of the interior surfaces rather than the exterior surface of the head.

Bizarre, better it than me with a head like that... then again what you 'see' technically inside your head, this fish is just more so I guess

Edit:- Oh and this is NGeo remember.. of course the photos a good one, their professionals at wildlife photography, after all its been their business for almost a century.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Yes, according to the web site just below the big green orbs INSIDE its head are its EYES, and it can see through its own transparent flesh as well as rotate the eyes to see all around. Its eyes are INSIDE its head! The things on the front which look like eyes are actually the fish equivalent of "smelling" organs. Weirdness.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by OuttaHere]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
That Is crazy. What an adaptation.
Evolution is something when it produces things like this.
Amazing!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I don't think it's cute.

I find it downright weird! Weird that they kept it under wraps until now aswell....

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I guess its just there skin.
Its like cling wrap, transparent and thin.
I wonder why they ended up with skin like that.
It wouldn't be very hard to pierce.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

One of the most ignorant things I see is that many ATS users make an opinion without checking facts... this 'so-called' photoshopped image is taken from an actual video recording of this fish..

why dont you go back to the beginning of the post..

read the intro again..

and then take a look at the source the op has provided..

...Once you've done this, you'll have a clearer picture of the creature, and what its like.

..ciao!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join