It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A member crying out: why am I contributing to ATS?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by lunchbox1979

I didn't say anything about leaving. I believe it was Moonmine who said that.

It could also be argued that those in favor of the site staying as-is where is

are beating down any suggestions that others feel would greatly enhance the

users experience. Most very good ideas or theories are always attacked before

becoming accepted. At least I have that proven trend on my side.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

no i agree with you on that and it wasnt really directed at anyone, but sometimes these rule debates turn into shoveing matches. ive seen my share of people feeling slighted and goin overboard about it. and ive seen many members who use complaint posts as a way to jump on the "offending" member and chew him/her out. like they are jr.mods or something. i guess i just think mod and post issues are best left to those with the issues and dont need all the ganging up by crusaders.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TH3ON3
So where is the list of suggestions you are considering? I have seen no such list.

On the second page of this thread...

They don't want to listen to the people it seems.

I was referring back to your original comments. Certainly, you must have some irks that has inspired that kind of response... can you express what they are?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

reply to post by lunchbox1979

I didn't say anything about leaving. I believe it was Moonmine who said that.

Moonmine- " Well, I have had just about enough of this.

I just thank you all for all contributions to my posts and for inspiring me for the last three years and as active poster for almost a year.

All the best "

TH3ON3- I hear you moon...I'm also with you buddy.

The hole keeps getting bigger and bigger and......

IP

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I believe the ball is in your court to prove that your listening to suggestions.

I asked if you had a list of suggestins from the ATS issues thread or board

business thread that you might be considering implementing. To date I have

seen no such list to prove you are listening.

Again, the ability to star posts in the ATS issues and board business threads

would be a good start.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by TH3ON3]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

You're rambling now....and you're barking up the wrong tree my friend.

Just let it go.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I just read the thread in question, saw the T&C violation posting, and found this protest thread. Initially, I was a bit surprised by the mod's action, I thought it was rather severe and had never seen that occur on a previous thread here.

But after reading the more level-headed comments by members, and particularly the reasoning and previous experiences given by SO in his first post, I do agree that closing the thread was entirely justified and should not generate such divisiveness.

Political passions were at stake, but in all truthfulness, alarm bells went off when I read that the OP was posting about a project to produce and distribute bumper stickers and calling on the membership for their support; even though I wasn't specifically aware of the no soliciting rule, this already was clearly nothing that was proper for the boards. The thread could have been handled more maturely by the OP and none of this would have occurred.

Summa sumarum, it was the correct thing to do to maintain the site's integrity.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

...that you might be considering implementing.

We gave media portal users the ability to delete comments within 24 hours of learning of the need.

We corrected problems with GIF and PNG images within hours of learning of them.

We're in the process of completing a malware reporting system, after receiving reports that some members are concerned.

We launched an entire media portal in response to requests for unlimited upload space.

(and more... do you really require a full list?)

Again, the ability to star posts in the ATS issues and board business threads would be a good start.

I've already explained why we don't and won't.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Yes closing that thread was the right thing to do. But the other issue that mm brought up or rather his thread title is what I'm replying to.

He brought up a very valid point imo, and I still stand behind my support to not support ATS as much because the work one does in contributing a post or thread has no way to be meaningfully recognized.

Also, bad senseless posts bury good posts, and then searching out the good is arduous and time consuming. I mean why should posts like "can we rope the moon and pull it to Earth" be allowed to push down all the really good threads because there is no popular ranking system allowing votes either for or against to push threads either up or down in ranking.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
yeah, allowing stars in the issues section would just lead to more infighting, as staring the post would be akin to takeing a side and would probably just draw the whole thing out. issues should be between the mods and the aggreived, theres no need for war on ats when there is plenty out our windows.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Well good. I'm glad to see your actually working on the site. This will benefit not only the users, but the owners as well.

I just hope you will consider allowing star votes to point the way to good suggestions on the ATS issues and the Board business threads.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

I still don't think you understand the point of stars.

Stars wouldn't point the way to good suggestions....that's what the FLAGS are for.

Flags are available for BBQ threads, and the flags are what place threads high on the board.

Stars have nothing to do with what you're talking about.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

So where is the list of suggestions you are considering? I have seen no such list.

Well, hell, why don't they just make you an Admin and you can be in on all the goings on.

That would be the easiest way to show you are at least allowing a majority vote on suggestions.

I like it. My suggestion is to remove all whiny, petulant members that start strife. Shall we put that one to a vote?
Has it occurred to you that some of those suggestions may have been tried already. ATS has evolved over the years that I've been here.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
reply to post by TH3ON3

I still don't think you understand the point of stars.

Stars wouldn't point the way to good suggestions....that's what the FLAGS are for.

Flags are available for BBQ threads, and the flags are what place threads high on the board.

Stars have nothing to do with what you're talking about.

What the ef are u talking about. The ability to star single suggestions IS the way to find consensus on good suggestions.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Kernel Korn

I refer back to my above post :

Most very good ideas or theories are always attacked before finally becoming accepted. At least I have that proven trend on my side.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
ats has evolved over the years, i used to lurk here back in '01and'02 and there wasnt a level of user participation like today, i just hung out and read the old mj12 papers and other documents, i never saw as much user content and feedback as we have now, so big
to the staff at ats for that, but we need to understand that nobody is ever going to be compleatly happy with everything here 100% of the time. and honestly when you play in sombodys house you got to follow there rules. you dont have to like it but they dont have to care either.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Just a reminder to keep all posts civil and to refrain from personal attacks.

Carry on.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kernel Korn

The Kernel is late to the party again. I brought cheese to go with this whine. This is unfathomable. A free sire, ran extremely well and there is still complainers? Easy solution as I see it. Take your own money, make a site of your own and run it as you would. Problem solved. You're happy and the bandwidth here isn't wasted on the ungrateful.

Good Advice - however - I think a lot of people here would prefer if the member community here could be levereged to create a sister site - that was maybe somewhat like a miniture craigslist allowing for Bulletin Board style meet up and free market buying and selling.

(and take on the liability themselves and away from ATS)

While each member is indeed free to make their own web site, being able to leverage the ATS community - as well as offer the ATS community more value - seems like it could be a win win situation for all parties involved.

Perhaps ATS could run a contest and put to a vote which member site best could serve this function?

A little innovation - if done carefully and professionally - could take ATS and it's membership to the next level!

There is a hunger for this amongst the community that cannot be easily ignored.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

The ability to star single suggestions IS the way to find consensus on good suggestions.

I find reading posts to be far more productive than counting stars. While the star option will not be implemented in this forum there is a work around.

Simply comment in threads, or to posts with a well thought out response thus giving the reader/moderator/owner the ability to find more logic, reason and line of thinking than a star could ever give.

If anything not allowing stars in this forum supports and promotes truly useful communication.

[edit on 2/24/2009 by kinglizard]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I believe the ball is in your court to prove that your listening to suggestions.

I asked if you had a list of suggestins from the ATS issues thread or board

business thread that you might be considering implementing. To date I have

seen no such list to prove you are listening.

Again, the ability to star posts in the ATS issues and board business threads

would be a good start.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by TH3ON3]

You don't need a rep system or a star system to show how popular a thread is, in the old days people actually replied/ responded to threads with actual posts these posts gathered up over time and caused the threads to gain multiple pages, these larger than normal threads became known as "Popular" threads these usually attracted the attention of the mods and the admin respectively.

When I look for a "Popular thread" I don't look for stars as stars are pointless and irrelevant, I look for member contribution I.E how many pages it is.

Yes they continually rank in the top 1500-2000 for websites online...a sterling achievement.

Considering that the first 1000 or so websites are Google, Gmail, Popular email accounts and other search engines in all the different nations .uk .com .hu .jp and so on Being in the first 1500 out of 75 or so million websites and covering an unpopular set of topics (Conspiracies) that is a massive achievement to be honest.

---

"Rewards" for good posts and threads are things called Applause and if you do enough of them in a specific area then becoming an FSME, Scholar, writer and fighter...etc can also be seen as being rewards.

It would be nice to have the people be able to star any suggestions they feel are good on both the board business and the ATS issues thread. That would be the easiest way to show you are at least allowing a majority vote on suggestions.

A Poll would be better for that then the star system, the star system as it stands only accounts for people agreeing or liking the sound of the thread and not the people who disagree or don't like what they read in it. The fix for that would be to allow people to subtract stars or add red stars or something but that would just be abused like the rep system is on all the forums that as it.

But if you truly wanted to gather members info for a majority vote then you would set up an actual poll thread and not rely on the star and flag system because an entire half of people are negated from making a decision through it if that was used.

Also, bad senseless posts bury good posts, and then searching out the good is arduous and time consuming. I mean why should posts like "can we rope the moon and pull it to Earth" be allowed to push down all the really good threads because there is no popular ranking system allowing votes either for or against to push threads either up or down in ranking.

Popular threads (Threads with a lot of pages and traffic will rarely fall off the first page of their respective sections and will usually be pulled to the front of the recent active list every couple of days or so. Take a look at the Hoax alien drone thread, that is one of the most popular threads on the site, try loosing that behind a bunch of 4 reply threads for long. A popular thread doesn't need a voting or system to stop it falling off the front page if the thread is truly popular then member replies should be enough to keep it around.

---

Just to surmise of the TL;DR'ers out there.

For gathering votes and actual Poll system is far superior to the Star/Flag feature for gathering peoples opinions.

Popular threads do not need stars or flags in order to be popular, popular threads are the ones with the most replies and pages.

"Negative" stars (if they existed) would be abused by just everyone, far more than the "positive" stars are. Infact if stars had any impact on a threads placement on the recent discussions page then a obviously popular thread with dozens of pages and good posts could end up being ran off the recent list by lots of people giving it negative stars and not seen by others again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join