It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A member crying out: why am I contributing to ATS?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by TH3ON3
This site can expect to flounder unless and until they start actually listening to the users who are the one that make it profitable.

Do you have a specific example of how you believe we're not listening?

Yes i do So, not allowing the star and flag in this thread for starters.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

W.A.T.S (Way Above TopSecret) Award was once a proud monthly voting contest for the best member. Nobody used it after a while.

As for "dead zone", I was present on ATS before it expanded and it has been overwhelmingly successful without adopting your recommendations

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Yes i do So, not allowing the star and flag in this thread for starters.

Flags are enabled for this thread... not sure what you mean there.

The "Star System" was put into place to provide members with a means to show appreciation for quality posts on ATS subjects. Since this is a general question and board business forum, stars were never implemented here.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Yes they continually rank in the top 1500-2000 for websites online...a sterling achievement.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I hear you moon...I'm also with you buddy. I see not many more contributions from old veterans as well.

Do you consider yourself an "old veteran"? Seeing that you've been here... what's the time now? ... oh, not even 6 months?

And you feel that your posts are reward worthy? You feel the flag system is failing you, is it? Let's look at your history... 71 threads... 76 flags.... Have you ever considered that perhaps the problem is on your side... somewhere between the screen and the chair?

This site can expect to flounder unless and until they start actually listening to the users who are the one that make it profitable.

There's a whole forum dedicated to listening to our whining. I mean one of the owners of the site actually bothered to reply to the thread. From where I'm sitting it looks like they're listening. Perhaps they're doing things the way they're doing it because they learnt from experience... 7 plus years of running ATS. And it just keeps on growing. How long have you been doing it to have such deep insight?

Sorry for that little rant, but it really bothers me when people complain about something they get for free...

[edit on 2/24/09 by Gaspode]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

We can get the fringe from any one of thousands of other websites on the internet. And some of then actually allow freedom of speech and expression without censor.

Then go hang out at one of them.

We won't miss your attitude at all.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Well I made a mistake, I meant the stars. By allowing the stars for board business and questions and the ATS issues thread you the management could see just how popular a particular suggestion or idea is. But they are not enabled.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by TH3ON3]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

If you don't like it, go.

All I am getting from you is that you don't feel appreciated by the people, Mods, and Admin of this board. Guess what? There are a lot of us here and only a select few seem to expect special attention and recognition.

The rest of us are fine with the way things are.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Well I made a mistake, I meant the flags. By allowing the flags for board business and questions and the ATS issues thread you the management could see just how popular a particular suggestion or idea is. But they are not enabled.

Uhm... They're right up there...?!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
In complaining about one aspect of T&C his posts appear to be violating all the remaining "statutes".

Maybe he's just trying to collect the full set.

Seriously, what's all this fuss about, the "hang your flag upside down" thread.

It never ceases to amaze me how people get so angry about such trivial things, wasn't the last one "send a shoe to Bush" or something equally juvenile.

Anything that stops this site becoming a frat house notice board gets my support.

Keep up the good work

[edit on 24-2-2009 by Retseh]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

The detail of the site....the dedicated media hosting....podcasting and chat.....exclusive guests and interviews...

What more do you want?

As a web developer and occasional lurker of many forums i can tell this is one of the greatest well minded sites on the internet.

Its time to some people to recognize too the outstanding level of work here by owners moderators and members..

We should not allow that minimal issues clearly established (like this in T.O.C.) put any kind of shadow over the great source of info and discussion this site is.

That would be like giving away the little freedom we have to "them",the ones who fight the danger of having sites like abovetopsecret

To everyone: keep the good work

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I wonder what the maintenance and operating costs are for such a huge website and forum?

It is an owned site right?

Their rules, we must play by them.

Actually I've found that anything can be discussed here, as long as it is done in a way that is within the terms and conditions.

Rather than complain about these rules that apply to ALL... We should be thanking them for providing all that is ATS and keeping it as civil as possible.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gaspode

Well I made a mistake, I meant the flags. By allowing the flags for board business and questions and the ATS issues thread you the management could see just how popular a particular suggestion or idea is. But they are not enabled.

Uhm... They're right up there...?!

I meant the stars. people make mistakes.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

As said already, stars are not necessary here.

Stars are intended as a way for members to give recognition to other members posts. They do not have an effect on how many people see a particular thread.

The BBQ board does not need stars.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

And I explained why stars are not part of the Board Business & Questions forum.

Do you have another example that illustrates how you feel we're not listening to members?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gaspode

I hear you moon...I'm also with you buddy. I see not many more contributions from old veterans as well.

Do you consider yourself an "old veteran"? Seeing that you've been here... what's the time now? ... oh, not even 6 months?

Did i say I consider myself a veteran? I said the old veterans are not posting as much. Why bother, no one gets recognized by the other members except with star and flags that mean absolutely nothing. On Google...and might I add that they are quite successful, the more times a person clicks on a website the higher it rises in search results.

All I'm saying is that I agree with Moonmine, this site needs some changes and until then I will mainly be an observer and only occasional poster.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Why bother, no one gets recognized by the other members except with star and flags that mean absolutely nothing.

What do you want?

Do you want them to make a giant formal announcement and alert all the members to how intelligent you are every time you make a post?

Would you like them to mail you some sort of a check for your outstanding contributions?

What are you looking for?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Funny how to two of the threads on main page have been closed why not just delete them and make it got to the 404 error.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

wow, this thread sounds like a playground full of children, "i dont like your club im gonna leave!" "well leave then cause yer stupid and noone likes you!" ect.ect.ect.....

seems like someone gets modded and w.w.3 kicks off, just let the person rant and cry or pout or whatever. and for gods sake, i think the mods and owners are quite intellegent and capable enough to enforce their decisions
without all the white knights swarming out of the oodwork to throw in there 2 cents.

i mean it kinda bad when the member issues threads become as entertaining as the main ones.

btw, this isnt a personal attack on anyone, not my style, but these threads turn into grudge matches. am i wrong?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

And I explained why stars are not part of the Board Business & Questions forum.

Do you have another example that illustrates how you feel we're not listening to members?

So where is the list of suggestions you are considering? I have seen no such list. It would be nice to have the people be able to star any suggestions they feel are good on both the board business and the ATS issues thread. That would be the easiest way to show you are at least allowing a majority vote on suggestions.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join