It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much does a house in the US cost?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Forgive my question but i am just.....Greek!

I was wondering how much houses cost on your side of the ocean.

In Greece they are in the order of 200-300 (minimum for new averagelly sized houses). Used ones could go as low as 100.000 but they are mostly pretty old..

So whats your estimate or give an example of the price of your house. (if you want ofcourse!)

Just curious ( i suppose my curiosity is also crisis related)

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Depends on where you live...

When I lived in San Diego, the house we were in (3 bed, 3 bath, aprox 1800 sq ft) was 750,000.

I moved to Michigan, and the house i'm fixing up was sold 2 or 3 years ago for about 150,000 (2200 square feet, 5 bed, 2 bath). We bought the house in foreclosure for 35,000... Current market value with the home prices dropping is probably about 80,000.

Some homes in my area are as cheap as 6,000... (foreclosure bank props).

If you want to explore house prices around the U.S. a good site to go to is www.remax.com

You can get a good idea for house prices and what you're getting for the money there...

*all values in USD.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I don't know the exchange rate for $$ to drachma but there is a wide disparity in housing in America.

Especially now with the realestate market being in chaos.

Some forclosures can be had for back taxes.

Here is a link to give you a better idea.

www.realestateabc.com...

I have 100 acres with a trailer, in a very secluded, beautiful part of the desert SW for sale. Water and septic. Shall we start the bidding at 1 million.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by whaaa]

[edit on 24-2-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
in my particular area, coastal S. Carolina, www.mapquest.com...

the houses are generally over priced in relative terms...

If one uses the starting point of spending only 31% of income for housing,
the average family would need a sizeable minimum of $50,000 down
and a balance due of $100,000.

thereby making all but a single wide mobile home Un-affordable.
unless your family makes substantially more than the $35k-45k yr average.

see a list of wages here on SC coast: www.myrtlebeachdevelopment.com...

We were all living on a giant credit existance

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Just depends on where you are. Here in GA homes seem to average out around maybe $300,000? Just a guess.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I have about 3,000 sq ft and approximately 3.5 acres of wooded land. After remodling the home it sits at about $200k.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Where I am $150-$200K will get you 2 bedrooms on a few acres.

Where I was (CT) $150-$200K would get you a shack in the middle of the ghetto that was most likely a crack house or meth lab and has bars on the windows and is about arms length away from the crack house next door. Plus you'll be overtaxed for the privilege of being so close to a crack house.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Here is southern Illinois last year bought our house for $42,000. 5 bedroom 2200sq/ft built in 1920. Put $10,000 into the house remodeling it and did all the work ourselves. you know, building some sweat equity. Our house is two stories with an unfinished basement. All brick.

I'm just glad I live in the midwest where houses are still found cheap.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Its been some time since we last used the drachma....We use Euros nowadays.
My resolution? We were better off before! This globalisation stage of going for the Euro was all but a blessing. Anyway, bidding huh? ok i will go for
1,000,001.00 $.

Mr St Udio believe me if you get decent housing with that money you are lucky.
Also consider that it costs us a hell of a lot more when we have an inferior average income...

Mr nj2day you have been quite thorough there! I' ll go to remax for a lough too.

Mr thisguyrighthere

Where I am $150-$200K will get you 2 bedrooms on a few acres. Where I was (CT) $150-$200K would get you a shack in the middle of the ghetto that was most likely a crack house or meth lab and has bars on the windows and is about arms length away from the crack house next door. Plus you'll be overtaxed for the privilege of being so close to a crack house.

That was ...cracking...!!!

Mr Oak you sound like a lucky man. I am jealus.

After all it sounds that you guys have much more of a choice.
Th sad thing is that in your market prices go down following a natural trend, whereas in my place Crete they are rocksolid and not representative of what you get.......

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Prices range according to location, states etc.

Below is a Heat Map displaying market prices by region.

Heat Map

mg

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by missed_gear

this gives quite a good view of the status there. I wish we were as organised in Greece...
Anyhow the thread just looks as informative since i get to talk with real people about it.

This chart is just too generalized. Good catch though!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Few months ago some study showed the following prices for houses in Belgium :

- for a house in a row, 2/3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, garage, small garden, etc. +/- 150 m² ===> 200.000-250.000 euro

- for a stand alone, same specifics on +/-350 m² ===> 350.000-400.000 euro

But these are changing fast, depending on the location.
Move to the countryside, prices are reduced with almost 50.000 euro.
Move towards a big city, you can easily add upto a 100.000 or even 150.000 euro.

And yes, imho i think the prices are overrated but they predict no drop of prices with the economic crisis in the comming years.

Because of the fast increase of prices in the last 10 years, and considdering my age (41), i decided to keep renting.
We have to pay back our loan before the age of 65, so the monthly payments in my case would have exceeded a 1.000 euro a month for an average home.

Now i rent a home for 580 euro a month, having 4 bedrooms and garage, a garden of 100m² on a total of 200m².
And i considder that to be "cheap", since most prices for a house like this goes from 600 upto 850 euro a month.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

Please keep in mind that America is made of 50 separate countries, with their own tax systems and economies, even to the point of how cities are laid out.

That being said.

In Ohio I could buy a very nice middle class home, 4bed 2bath 2,000+sqf for about $200-400k depending on the city.

In Oregon I could buy a trailer (double wide) for $200k. Middle class house as described is about $350-600k. Upper class housing is 700k+, and condos (900sq feet, 2bed 1 bath) about $250k.

I know some people in Washington that just bought a small house, about 1,500sqf 3bed 2bath for 550k, in an "ok" part of Seattle.

After checking my cities demographics, the average cost of a house in my area is $675,000.

[edit on 2/24/2009 by Rockpuck]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
In Florida you have quite the range of prices too.
Rural areas are cheaper while urban centers, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Tampa, etc were all victims of the housing bubble with ridiculous prices until just last year, when foreclosures forced the prices to come down a bit.

currently a 1200-1500 sqft 2-3 bedroom is between $120,000 and $220,000. Larger homes are more expensive and also location within each city plays a role in the prices too.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Mid last year i saw Homes in the US for $1000 in Cleveland OH.
and did anyone here about the women you bought a house on Ebay?? i remember she won the auction and it was under for $1.75USD.
source

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Here's a listing for a house in Detroit; they are asking for only $99:

www.realtor.com...

Much bigger than the place I'm currently living in, too.

top topics

join