It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists May Have Explanation For UFO Sightings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
(Feb. 23) - Mysterious UFO sightings may go hand in hand with a puzzling natural phenomenon known as sprites — flashes high in the atmosphere triggered by thunderstorms.

The dancing lights have appeared above most thunderstorms throughout history, but researchers did not start studying them until one accidentally recorded a sighting on camera in 1989.
"Lightning from the thunderstorm excites the electric field above, producing a flash of light called a sprite," said Colin Price, a geophysicist at Tel Aviv University in Israel. "We now understand that only a specific type of lightning is the trigger that initiates sprites aloft."
Researchers have detected the flashes between 35 and 80 miles from the ground, far above the 7 to 10 miles where usual lightning occurs. Sprites can take the form of fast-paced balls of electricity, although previous footage has suggested streaks or tendrils.
The cause or function of the flashes remains murky, but Price suggested that they could explain some of the UFO reports which have cropped up over the years. That might provide some solace for UFO enthusiasts disappointed by human-caused hoaxes in the past.

Both jetliner pilots and astronauts have previously reported sightings of sprites, along with a different but equally mysterious phenomenon known as blue jets.
Price and his colleagues have focused on "winter sprites" which appear only in the northern hemisphere's winter months. Their remote-controlled roof-mounted cameras can spot thunderstorms producing sprites far out over the Mediterranean Sea.
Triangulation techniques have also allowed the researchers to calculate the dimensions of the sprites.
"The candles in the sprites are up to 15 miles high, with the cluster of candles 45 miles wide — it looks like a huge birthday celebration!" Price said.
Sprites may have some effect on the Earth's ozone layer, but researchers suspect that the global impact is small.

AOL Link
news.aol.com...

What do you guys think? Does this seem like a reasonable theory or is the UFO phenomenon becoming too big for the government to no longer cover up, so they are putting out stories like this to debunk all the recent sightings??? Ill let you decide...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Another pathetic attempt, what about all the sighting where there were no thunder storms?

Do thunder storms create metalic objects? No they dont, i personally no that..

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
rubish theory.....

besides :

the flashes between 35 and 80 miles
and then

sprites are up to 15 miles hig

and then:

the cluster of candles 45 miles wide — it looks like a huge birthday celebration

people are not that stupid to tell this phenomenon as a UFO, not to mention that i haven t heard of such descriptions either.

the UFO phenomenon becoming too big for the government to no longer cover up, so they are putting out stories like this to debunk all the recent sightings

Above statement?

Correct.

Most propably anyway...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
There is already a pre-existing thread discussing this topic here:

UFO's mistaken for thunder storm SPRITES

IRM

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I saw this article on yahoo under the title "Natural explaination found for UFO's" What happened to swap gas? That was my favorite explaination for UFOs. Maybe Mac Brazil found remnants of a sprite lightning wrecked all over his ranch in New Mexico, or maybe Bob Lazar back engineered som e sprite lightning. Try telling Clifford Stone, Gordon Cooper, "Buzz" Aldrin, thousands of pilots, and thousands of citizens that what they saw was lightning and you might get punched in the face!

S&F4U
-E-

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Nah this is crap, We hardly ever have thunderstorms in the UK yet there are loads of sighting. Not saying its def Alien intelligence but its certainly not this explanation lol

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Dude I totally believe you.

In fact, somebody opens up a huge box marked with a sticker that reads, 'Do Not Open - Contains Disinformation', then millions of sprites fly out of it and fill the horizon, leaving us stumped.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Maybe an attempt to publicly debunk the Nasa footage of ufos gathering over a thunderstorm on Earth. The footage is shot from above and looks interesting indeed. I have it on my pc as part of the "Nasa's Biggest Secret" series of videos, which unfortunately have just been removed from ***tube I believe.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I see the response here is typical to the response in other threads on this topic. Another six members who could not be bothered to even read the article; don't a single one of you lie and say you did read it. It is obvious by your ignorant responses you did not read it beyond the headline.

Since you folks are too busy wallowing in your self-imposed ignorance, here is the operative statement:

The cause or function of the flashes remains murky, but Price suggested that they could explain some of the UFO reports which have cropped up over the years.

Now, can any of you mental midgets comprehend what that means or do you need someone to explain it further?

[edit on 24-2-2009 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
lol I know what sprites are. While I am sure you could explain a few UFOs with sprites.. I know personally they can't touch most sightings.

sorry to burst their scientific bubble but they gotta come up with something better than that to explain the things I have seen.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by NephraTari
lol I know what sprites are. While I am sure you could explain a few UFOs with sprites.. I know personally they can't touch most sightings.

sorry to burst their scientific bubble but they gotta come up with something better than that to explain the things I have seen.

Oh look at that, yet another person who either did not read the article or does not possess one iota of reading comprehension.

The cause or function of the flashes remains murky, but Price suggested that they could explain some of the UFO reports which have cropped up over the years.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

lol no hon, I read it. but that some should be reduced to a few. trust me.
There are not many people that see sprites that mistake them for UFO's
Most probably think they have seen a vision of a alien lifeform or something when they see sprites. LMAO!

I did research on sprites some time ago when trying to help someone out identifying something they saw. It was a more rare type of sighting.
Most sightings are solid objects.

Don't get so frustrated we are all seeking the same thing after all.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

...but that some should be reduced to a few. trust me...

Considering that "some" has no intristic numerical value to it, it can mean many or few.

Dr. Price did not say it explained all UFO sightings as you suggest...

There are not many people that see sprites that mistake them for UFO's
Most probably think they have seen a vision of a alien lifeform or something when they see sprites.

Do we need a lesson on what the acronym "UFO" means?

Don't get so frustrated we are all seeking the same thing after all.

Honestly, I have to say I don't think we are.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

Its called truth. and if thats not what you are seeking.. then you are correct.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Its called truth.

It is truth or confirmation?

Can you recognize the difference?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex

Its called truth.

It is truth or confirmation?

Can you recognize the difference?

I've got a question for you....

Why do you have to come across as an asshole in every post you make on this board?
I can understand you being a skeptic and wanting to debunk some of these theories but your smartass remarks arent necesary.

As Nephra Tari already stated, where all here for the same reason and that's to find the truth in all of this. However, I'm starting to think your just here to stir # up by insulting peoples intelligence and throwing out what you think are witty remarks now and then.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ls1cameric
Why do you have to come across as an in every post you make on this board?

Such language! Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

I can understand you being a skeptic and wanting to debunk some of these theories but your smart remarks arent necesary.

Sorry if I come across as harsh, but it is the only appropriate response considering the ignorant responses being posted regarding this topic.

I'm starting to think your just here to stir up by insulting peoples intelligence...

Those who responded with indignant outrage, proclaimations of disinformation, without even bothering to read the article are not doing their intelligence any favors. Sorry, but I have a very low tolerance for stupidity.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Wow... now we know that SPRITES are the answer to what causes abductions, missing time, multiple eyewitness accounts coupled with aerial & ground radar returns, etc...

I guess that I am suppose to feel all better, however I seem a bit more queasy. Sorry, but think I'll go lay back down. But first I must add my findings as follows:

(Disclaimer: Sorry if this post appears as a Flame. It's not.

* It is a Meteorological Plasmatic temperature inverted Double Helix, that has been distributively filtered by way of a Fractal Drift with a 035.7 degree reduction.
* Furthermore, the "Full Arc-Partial Arc Telemetry" classification gives rise to a triple redundancy of a Tetra gram Passage encounter during a half burn with a variable flat transmission synchronization.
* Added, and during which, there was a production of two digital variants, resulting in an "Anomalous Over-fire Encounter," and consequently super dense quantum phased array transponder traffic, concomitantly resulting in Extraneous Objects of Unknown Origin.

*** Conclusion: Results indicate a rapid Flash-Over of influences producing an illusive, and yet hollow, but Digitally Induced Relic of a Slipstream Parrot, aka "SPRITE."

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DREAMING MAN
Wow... now we know that SPRITES are the answer to what causes abductions, missing time, multiple eyewitness accounts coupled with aerial & ground radar returns, etc...

WOW! Another person who could not be bothered to read the article!

The article did not say it was the answer to all UFO reports. Why is that so hard for you people to understand? Why do you consider to post these moronic responses?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I don't really understand why people are getting so angry over this article. As SaviorComplex has already pointed out the article clearly says that it could explain some sightings. I mean people mistake Venus and the ISS as UFOs, so do you really think they're not mistaking a phenomena that is little understood by even scientists as UFOs? Remember, even J. Allen Hynek said that only 5% of all sightings cannot be explained by natural phenomena. That's 95% of all sightings that can be explained. I'd say there's a very good chance that portion of that 95% are sprites. In other words sprites can explain some sightings, which is exactly what this article claims.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join