It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Create a BOB

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Hey guys! I'm thoroughly convinced that in my lifetime there will come a time that I will need a BOB. I can handle a weapon efficiently although I own none. I also am skilled with a knife and axe yet I do not hunt. I have a tent and many knives but no gun. There is a large wooded area about half a mile from my house on a creek that I would probably use as my Bug Out Zone.

1) What do you guys think are the essentials needed in a BOB. i cannot purchase a gun or any weapon of the sort, but I will be getting a sling-shot soon. Is it possible to be well equipped without a gun and what else will I need in my BOB.

2) For the creek area, is there anything I should do to prepare the site?

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Try searching it on the forum, you'll find allot of info about various BOB's including mine.
I will give you this though. Make it as lite and easy to carry as possible. Also adapt it to your specific skills use what you know.

You can survive without a gun. Traps for example, make them come into your turf through choke points. A weapon is only a tool, think about how the Vietnamese would build an carry all sorts of unconventional weapons and use them effectively.
Not that I'm encouraging you to do so, that would be rather stupid and would probably kill an innocent person. This is only meant for informational purposes and to give an example. I would only use this when # really hit the fan.

Have fun...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
wild-foods handbook.
survival techniques handbook
water purifier
compass
binoculars
vegetable seeds
bug spray
flint
cooking pot

-

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
BoyScout Handbook

2nd line here

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Backpack/bergen
Radio (wind-up)
GPS
Sleeping bag
Torch (wind-up)
Brew kit (tea, coffee, milk & sugar)
Survival bag
Knife x2
Sharpening stone
Tin opener
mess tin
Cutlery
Mug
Roll mat
Poncho
Tarpaulin
Waterproofs
Ziplock bags
Survival blanket
Paracord
Stove
Pencil, sharpener & paper
Spare socks
Thermals
Food for free book
Water storage
Baby wipes
Light sticks
Survival kit
Waterproof Matches
Tallow candle
Firesteel fireflint
Fishing gear
Sewing kit
Snare wire
Compass
Flexible saw
Food
salt/electrolyte powder
Tube butter
jerky
chocolate
Medical kit
Painkiller
Diarrhoea medicine
Antibiotics
Antihistamine
Water sterilisation
Anti-malaria
Surgical blades
Butterfly sutures
Plasters
Condom

A good list to start with, and as Bruce said- add what is useful, discard what is useless.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
With your BOB make sure you include items for pleasure. Put in a lot of condoms, and put in a huge baggie of yeast for making liquor.
Survival is swell, but survival without pleasures is not swell.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Also, you should tailor your BOB to the particular SHTF situation you are in. Natural disaster would have a few different prioritys than say a Biological disaster etc.

No matter what, one item mentioned that Im always shocked no one ever seems to have is anti diarhea medication and water purification stuff.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Also, you should tailor your BOB to the particular SHTF situation you are in. Natural disaster would have a few different prioritys than say a Biological disaster etc.

No matter what, one item mentioned that Im always shocked no one ever seems to have is anti diarhea medication and water purification stuff.

It's probably something people assume and therefore leave off.

Personally I do, the purification is a no-brainer, but should that fail you need to be prepared for the consequences. I have a day's supply so far, plus the sachets of electrolytes that also reduce the effects of diarrhea. Anti-histamines is a good idea too, along with aspirin.

However, unless you are pharmaceutically educated be very, very careful.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
no one ever seems to have is anti diarhea medication...

Fred,

That is one thing that I make sure is in my BoB and EDC, I have enough to bind up a walrus after a chili and beer bender. If SHTF, I think a lot of people will wanting some immodium. Its bad enough with schtuff hitting the fan...

*edited cause I had to make a better funny

[edit on 24-2-2009 by DropInABucket]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Wouldn't leave the disaster zone without them!! What gets me is people stockpiling kilo upon kilo of rice but not taking into account how much water they are going to need to cook the stuff. My stockpile comprises of food that doesn't need water and can be eaten cold.

With your BOB make sure you include items for pleasure. Put in a lot of condoms, and put in a huge baggie of yeast for making liquor.

Only packing condoms for emergency water carrying and keeping stuff dry, don't plan on going out on the pull!! As for liquor- any I find I will use as currency. I will be staying sober with my wits about me.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I agree, a BOB is a good thing to have, and it seriousy can't go astray..
I have my own list that i wrote down a while ago, but probably copied from a wikipedia site ;D

- enough food and water to last for 72 hours
- 4 litres of water per person per day, for washing, drinking and cooking
- non-perishable food
-water purification supplies
- cooking supplies
-cutlery and cups/ dishes
- a first aid kit
- a disaster plan including location of emergency centres, rallying points, possible evactuation points etc.
- professional emergency literature explaining what to do in various types of disasters, studied and understood before the actual disaster but kept for reference.
- maps and travel info
- standard camping equipment, including sanitation supplies
- clothes and bedding
- enough medicine to last an extended evac period if, for example, one's home were destroyed
- pet, child and elderly care needs
- radio
- lighting (battery of crank operated flashlight, glow sticks)
- firearms and appropriate ammunition
- crowbar (offensive weaon, building and vehicle entry etc)
cash and change, as electronic bankig transactions may not be available during the initial period following an emergency or evacuation.. obviously)

And here's my smaller list:
- medium sized back-pack
- bottled water
- swiss army knife
- map
- small plastic hand turn electirc generator for cellphone/ light/ radio
- extra batteries
- duck tape
- rope/ wires
- plastic/ foil blanket
- sweater, other clothes
- pocket radio
- cash
- credit card
- pen + paper
- passport
- small medical kit
- dried food
- gun
OTHER IDEAS: gas mas, fire resistant balaclava, lighter/ matches, blow up mattress, bug repelent, solar charger, gloves..

And I even have a list of possible non-perishable foods:
* ready-to-eat canned fruits and vegies
* canned juice, milk and low sodium soups
* high energy foods, such as peanut butter, jelly and salt free crackers
* trail mix in airtight bags or containers
* compressed food bars high in protein such as power bars or cliff bars
* dried foods such as beef or turkey jerky, but watch for salt
*freeze dried food such as hommus mix or vegetarian chilli mix found in the health food section of most grocery stores. Keep in airtight containers.
* whole grain cereals such as oatmeal and low fat granola
* snack sized canned foods with pull-off lids
* beverages in foil packets for boxes such as capri sun and non-perishable foods for family pets such as hi-c canned foods
*at least a three day supply of bottled water: three gallons for each person

There you go.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
In your fishing supplies you may want to get a good sized frog spear head. You could fasten it to the end of a stick for shallow water foraging and it can double as a weapon. A rolled up net wouldn't be to heavy. You could place it across a stream [Or halfway, tied to a cut sapling pushed into the stream bottom.] It might be a bit better than a land trap food wise, [Usually more fish in the water and fewer predators to beat you to your land catch if it starts making noises.] I hear gill nets are good but I'm not where they sell them,(Or if their legal) I was thinking of buying a net hammock at my local army surplus to sleep on and/or hoist any food supplies or animal meat I get a hold of off the ground while I'm away, maybe in a pinch that can be used for a net also. I'm sure they get left in the rain a lot and still hold a man so I don't think the water would rot it. Ask the people selling them to make sure.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Cpt ChingChong

Any and all the information you will ever need is in my signature. Well, pertaining to a BOB and survival.

Please feel free to join the Zombie Squad community.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
All of these recomendations on BOB's contents tend to forget the most scary situation...Terrorist nuclear attack. The following description is a direct quote: "IOSAT works by saturating the thyroid with stable iodine so it will not absorb radioactive iodine released in the event of a nuclear accident. This 14-day supply is designed to protect an adult from the serious effect of radioactive iodine, which has a half-life of eight days. Includes 14 130-mg tablets."

The 14 day supply is for one person, has a 5 year shelf life and costs just $10.95. Of course you could wait till the government issues this product, but by that time you'd probably be dead. Trust your self to the "heros" of Katrina? I think not!

Anyhow, I put two sets of tablets in my wife's and my BOB. They can be purchased at:

beprepared.com...

And pray to God, we never have to use them...

[edit on 27-2-2009 by romanmel]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
As I understand it Potassium Iodide is not as palatable as Potassium Iodate.

Both do the same job, one doesn't make you as ill.

Feel free to correct if wrong...

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal
As I understand it Potassium Iodide is not as palatable as Potassium Iodate.

Both do the same job, one doesn't make you as ill.

Feel free to correct if wrong...

I did some research on your question and found the following quote you may wiah to consider...
"Over the past few years, a number of companies have been marketing potassium iodate for radiation protection in place of potassium iodide. Though the names are similar, the products are very different, and the US Food and Drug Administration has expressed serious concerns about the safety and effectiveness of iodate, and the fact that its manufacturers are not in conformity with FDA rules to assure safety, quality and purity of the product. Although the FDA has been successful at removing most iodate products from store shelves, iodate (sometimes claiming to be iodide) can still be found on the internet."
This quote is from the following website:
www.nukepills.com...

The brands of Potassium Iodide tested and approved by the FDA are IOSAT tm and THYROSHIELD tm

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
definitely when it come to fire have a back up of a back upof a back up . The guys on Rant radio tout the kookri as a very good tool .It can be thrown like a tomahawk for hunting , as defense , they can be used as a machete, and the blunt side of the blade as a light hammer.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by romanmel

Thank you for the leg work.

I'll have a proper look when I'm not suffering from eye-strain.

top topics

join