It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Natural Explanation Found for UFOs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Natural Explanation Found for UFOs

news.yahoo.com

Mysterious UFO sightings may go hand in hand with a puzzling natural phenomenon known as sprites — flashes high in the atmosphere triggered by thunderstorms.

The dancing lights have appeared above most thunderstorms throughout history, but researchers did not start studying them until one accidentally recorded a sighting on camera in 1989.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Well.... Here goes years of work down the drain with people. Most non-believers or 'on the edge' people who haven't decided may take up false assumptions from this article.

Seems pretty anti-disclosure, but it was on the front page of Yahoo, and if anyone knows what I am talking about, you know that this is sending a bad message about the UFO community.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Well I hate to burst Yadalahoohoo's bubble, but the sprite theory is as old as the swamp gas and Venus theories are.

Its just an attempt to rekindle old outdated explanations...beating to death the dead horse per say.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
This still dont account for the hundreds and hundreds of sightings that occurs without thunderstorms condition, meaning at low altitudes, at high altitudes, in space!!!

I know disinformation when I see it.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Well, Murdoch has spoken.

meh.

Yahoo is at best an NWO tool, at worst ... wait.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
I know disinformation when I see it.

How is this disinformation? Disinformation implies the information is false and being passed as truth. Do you have any information that suggests the findings of Dr. Price are wrong or that he is somehow lying?

This is less a case of disinformation and more a case of bad-headline writing by a sensation-seeking editor who knows it will hook people like us. The article is careful to point out that this does not explain all UFO sightings...

The cause or function of the flashes remains murky, but Price suggested that they could explain some of the UFO reports which have cropped up over the years.

Which may be correct. It may explain some UFO sightings; no one can, nor should, deny that.

A much better headline for this article would be "A Natural Explanation Found For Some UFOs." Clunky, but it far more accurate.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
this is laughable.

as the poster above states, what about sightings in clear weather conditions, and in space???

havent heard if lightning in space before.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

Agreed!

It just that sometimes it gets on my nerves that some of these scientist would try to explain what others have seen and experienced first hand without eve taking into consideration that words of those who has seen UFO's.

Thats all...

[edit on 23-2-2009 by Bunch]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
How about those big silvery discs that fly around? Metal sprites? Sprite saucers? Swamp gas containers? Venus mirrors?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I always knew UFOs weren't real I guess this has finally debunked them and we can put this whole matter to rest finally. Of course it doesn't explain every sighting but they are all just cases of mistaken identity as well.

I guess we can now focus on real issues.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

The cause or function of the flashes remains murky, but Price suggested that they could explain some of the UFO reports which have cropped up over the years.

There there SaviorComplex, no need to be angered from statements about disinformation

But you have to admit, that they still present the article in a way, that is less-becoming of the UFO subject. To make it seem..for the most part.. 'explained'.

As I said in another thread regarding this same topic.. Just two days ago..I read another article (also on Yahoo) that tries to explain the phenomena away as 'secret military craft'.. like the B-2 for example.. One look at the comments section below that article, and you'd see how many people.. just Don't buy into that.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
as the poster above states, what about sightings in clear weather conditions, and in space???

Originally posted by pteridine
How about those big silvery discs that fly around? Metal sprites? Sprite saucers? Swamp gas containers? Venus mirrors?

It looks like some people haven't even bothered to read the article. In truth, the article does have very little to do with UFOs, outside of the spin both the reporter and the editor tried to put on it.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majorion
There there SaviorComplex, no need to be angered from statements about disinformation

Oh look...it's my stalker.

No one is "angered," I am just voicing my opinion.

Originally posted by Majorion
But you have to admit, that they still present the article in a way, that is less-becoming of the UFO subject. To make it seem..for the most part.. 'explained'.

Again, sensationalism on the part of both the writer and the editor, because they know it will attract readers. Congrats everyone, we've fallen in to their trap.

Originally posted by Majorion that tries to explain the phenomena away as 'secret military craft'.. like the B-2 for example...

And in some cases it can be. No one can deny that.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamanator
I always knew UFOs weren't real I guess this has finally debunked them and we can put this whole matter to rest finally. Of course it doesn't explain every sighting but they are all just cases of mistaken identity as well.

I guess we can now focus on real issues.

Wow, do you believe everything the media tells you without question?

And before you start - no, I don't share the same enthusiasm as UFO believers. As SaviorComplex stated, this can explain some UFO sightings. Just as some UFO's are Venus, Jupiter, swamp gas, aircraft, etc. However, a small amount of them cannot be explained by conventional means.

So, everyone can calm down. This article is just stating that some UFO's can be explained as natural phenomena. Not all of them.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Sprites were actually discovered by a scientist who graduated from my alma madre (University of Alaska Fairbanks). But this discovery is also very old from what I can recall..

There are many problems with the theory though..
Sprites and megalightning existing for a split second are extremely difficult to mistake for what you think might be a UFO. Green sprites, Blue jets, they are extremely rare and have only been witnessed by mainstream science over extremely massive thunderstorm systems.
But UFO sightings tend to occur globally.. Even in places where such massive thunderstorms are usually not around.

It doesn't explain UFO sightings involved with broad daylight and/or the video footage of bizarre UFO's in broad daylight.

It doesn't explain UFO's as witnessed and talked about by NASA astronauts as well as cosmonauts. Nor does it explain some of the bizarre video footage taken from previous shuttle missions.

Green sprites, Blue jets, Megalightning.. it's all very cutting edge science, yes.. But it doesn't go very far at all to explain not only what many people have seen but also photographed and videotaped. And it doesn't even come close to helping to explain UFO sightings with relation to the abduction phenomenon.

It is an interesting phenomenon, yes.. But it doesn't really explain a whole lot with relation to the more well-documented cases involving photos, videos and/or other physical evidence of UFO activity. Particularly UFO's witnessed and documented in clear skies with no storms. UFO's experienced by pilots, astronauts, police officers, and other credible witnesses are less likely to be split second bursts of sprites in the upper atmosphere.. Especially when you read their pretty remarkable accounts and realize that alot of them have been fired and/or grounded for coming forward. Not to mention, the stigma associated with someone admitting to seeing a UFO in the first place.

I'm not saying there isn't a natural explanation. In fact, I think there are natural phenomenon that could explain alot of them. The Marfa Lights in Texas, as an example. They are just one instance of what appear to be naturally-occurring phenomenon that are also UFO's (because they are fly and are, as yet, unidentified) but not exactly a UFO in the sense that there is a physical craft there that little green men have used to fly to earth.

These kinds of "spirit lights" or "earth lights" would go a long way to explaining why people see these bizarre orbs of light acting like they do..

Take these videos for example.. Very possibly naturally occurring orbs of energy science has yet to identify. And quite possibly caused by the same forces that create earth lights at specific locations around the planet.

-ChriS

new topics

top topics

join