It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Says Mexico Drug Violence Poses Growing Threat to Tourists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

U.S. Says Mexico Drug Violence Poses Growing Threat to Tourists

www.bloomberg.com

Feb. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Drug-related violence and gun battles have increased in Mexico recently, the State Department warned in an updated alert for U.S. citizens traveling to and living in the neighboring country.

“Mexican and foreign bystanders have been injured or killed in violent attacks in cities across the country, demonstrating the heightened risk of violence in public places,” the warning said. “In recent years, dozens of U.S. citizens have been kidnapped across Mexico. Many of these cases remain unresolved.”

The greatest surge in violence is near the border, where Mexican drug cartels are fighting among themselves and with security officials for the control of narcotics trafficking routes, the State Department said in the alert, which expires on Aug. 20 and replaces one from late last year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Yeah, if I lived in Mexico I'd be getting my butt out of there really quick. The company i used to work for relocated there and left me without a job.

I actually heard that they are thinking about coming back. Hmmm...I wonder why?

That cheap labor wasn't worth it eh? Or how about all equipment that was stolen? It stinks when people are stealing the headlights and parking lights off of the semi's doesn't it?

They need to get Americans out of there before they turn into possible hostages.

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Yeah i've been on top of this for awhile now, just checking up to see what's going on....It doesn't look like there's any end in sight, and then you add the world economy crisis into the whole mix...DISASTER! Seriously, I feel awful for anybody living just across the border here. If our country had any sense of decency or responsibility to protect our citizenship, they would be pulling troops and placing them on the border at the very least....and in my view, this is a time where military might actually needs to come into play! Mexico needs help, and we have the ability to give it to them. This is a cause that I personally would be willing to fight for, because these are our neighbors, and whatever problems they are having will likely spill over if not quickly and completely expunged. Unfortunately, our gov't makes too much money off of the drug trade and will likely just keep up the rhetoric as far as our southern neighbor goes.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
To Tourist alone!!!!!!!! how about to our borders and the people that live in those borders within the US.

I wonder sometimes what this people in govenrment positions are thinking about. This thugs and criminals operate also within the US southern borders what the US is going to do to avoid this drug war from killing Americans in the US.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Just wanted to add, that when i said "military might",
I meant that we should pull troops from Afghanistan and Iraq and station them on the borders, or perhaps even send them in to work with the Mexican police and military. SERIOUSLY. The only thing gleaned from the middle eastern conquests are fat military contracts for rich a-holes, and a better foothold to get at Iran and control THEIR oil too.....even though we have the biggest supply of oil worldwide right here in our own country. My own gov't just disgusts me anymore, everybody in power whores us out for more money.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I feel ya! I live in Arizona and hear about this kind of violence right here in Phoenix on a nearly daily basis. Who knows how much of it goes unreported....we need to get our heads out of our a-holes here.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Mexico has always been a wild and crazy place, especially in the border towns..... The last time I was there it was during a tourist advisory and it was a pleasurable vacation. There were a lot less gringos throwing money around and the vendors were selling their products for much less than normal.... My wife and I had drinks with another gringo and his Mexican girlfriend at a side walk establishment in Matamoros and they knew nothing of the tourist advisory. The guy was from Georgia and spent months every year travelling Mexico in his R.V.... A great number of wet back workers have been returning home in the less 4 or 5 months from the North Central Texas area due to the drop off in construction jobs, and the Mexican owned Tornado Buses aren't seen as frequently on I-35.... There has always been violence along the border and not all of it is caused by Mexicans.... I wonder what is going on right now that is purposely being unreported by the MSM using this story as a distraction.

top topics

join