It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern Britain= Germany of the 20's and 30's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
A guest on the news proposed this idea a couple of days ago following the BNP taking a seat in the sevenoaks by-election and at first I thought it was ridiculous, However, after researching it a bit it seems they might of been onto something.

A few comparisons:

Britain is in a financial slump and mounting debts much like germany was after WW1.

Many Britains feel Labour are giving away rights and power to Europe, the same way many Germans felt their government had given away their powers following WW1.

Many Britons feel the main political parties are out of touch and out to get what they can like many germans felt about the weimar republic.

More and more British workers feel they are being undercut in the job market to foreign labour, similar to the Germans feelings about their economy being dominated by Jewish people.

Right Wing parties such as the British National Party have seen a rise in membership since the recession as people have lost their jobs and feel let down, vary similar in the way the Nazi party gained members, mostly unemployed German men.

there are many more similarities to mention but I definately feel its a topic worth discussing.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
sad but true,when times get hard people turn to anyone that will tell them it's someone elses fault.

Of course while the times are the same the people are different, we live in an entirely different world now -empire was only starting to fade back then, nationalism was routed in hundreds of years of songs, stories and all manor of elitist things. Now we've lived through Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Polpot, George Bush and all the other despots -we have learnt many lessons, seen many things and hopefully grown wiser.

I don't think we will repeat the same mistakes as the germans did with hitler, then again we already have in some areas....

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I agree with NatureBoy to some extent, but I would say we definitely allowed many things to repeat as education levels have dropped and financial/corporate interests have much more control than they did in the past. I would argue that this time, the indirect influences have rooted far deeper into ALL countries, especially in terms of economic and political influence.

I wouldn't say that the PEOPLE have changed very much; the ones that went through the entire world war ordeals may have changed and re-recognize some signs or signals, however most of the younger generations are far more naive. Also, it's always been said that history is written by the winners... and some people may argue that in reference to the world wars, this would be a reference to the allies... but did anyone ever stop to think that maybe even Hitler was to an extent a puppet? There are many sources that have claimed that according to research, Hitler was himself backed by WallStreet, Prescott Bush, and the British Elite, all of which were playing and financing both sides of the war.

I myself don't know how Britain is faring against the economic crisis, only that they are doing the same silly bailout thing and pressing for other nations like Germany to go against what they believe will work for what everyone already knows WON'T work. I also know that the United States is becoming extremely ripe for dictatorship; where the media is already completely controlled and manipulated, all health-related aspects are privately controlled, the level of unemployment is rising drastically, they are fighting wars in the middle east and profiteering in the war Mexico is having with the drug cartels, and at the same time they are at the apparent center of the global financial crisis which I would argue is a very large problem that they are spending less time addressing than they do getting more europeans to go fighting in Afghanistan to stir up more trouble in the middle east. I believe that not just London, but most if not all nations are being manipulated and conditioned to such extreme tension and stress, that if left unfixed would rather quickly give those financial interests complete control over everything, including our rights, freedoms, and very lives. I think it's also important to note that this economic situation is only at it's beginning stage, and with that said... people have the tendency to do a lot less THINKING when they find themselves in a situation where they're standing on their hind legs for food.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I'm not sure any analogy between the wake of WWI which affected Germany and Britain of the present holds that well. I can see how someone might try and draw an analogy with issues over EU and civil liberties erosion but I'm not sure it really does work.

I think the EU is a curate's egg; sometimes it's good and works in our favour but sometimes (perhaps more often than not) it's bad and works against us. However, to compare this to the Treaty of Versailles is a little off in my opinion. There was a lot of collective anger and resentment over the 'blame' element in the Treaty of Versailles, which basically said 'it was all Germany's fault'. I'm not sure the British are unified in anything like this. We get a rough deal from EU at times, but it's not as if the EU are as blasé about putting to us as the Allies were with Germany as the EU at least try and hide it for the most part.

A big difference was there were also massive attempts to neuter Germany as a military presence by its neighbours which really hit the national psyche. Whereas with us, British troops are often expected or relied on to get stuck in and even play disproportionate roles in NATO &c.

Another obvious difference is that Blair will never be tried as a war criminal, unlike Wilhelm II!

Also, the idea of a country being brought together through a 'volk' identity - which was how much how the answer to Germany's problems of the 1920s and 1930s was sold to the public - is never going to gain much momentum here. 'British' as an identity is on very unsteady ground. Many Scots and Welsh have issues with the notion of Britishness and England and the English have pretty much lost any specific identity they had to the British Union - to the extent that many people now confuse the two things as if they are one and the same. Perhaps a bit like when one partner loses their own identity in a marriage whilst the other partner doesn't.

EDIT: missed out a couple of words here and there.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by onetruesaxon

Germany was in £6600 million of debt not £2 trillion and I dont think inflation has went that banana's to justify.

I would say the reason that there has been an increase in BNP members is because the alternatives are Conservatives or Lib Dems. Lib dems have already made it clear they could not run the country and conservatives are a copy of new labour but you have a point with the unrest.

While I see your point I would be more worried with the current situation rather than an increase in BNP members. Labour has created this mess not the BNP and short of citizens making there own party I cannot see another way out which is exactly why theres an increase.
What is the alternative?? Riots that allow more liberty crushing by drop jaw Gordon? ( I highly expect this to happen very soon rather than a BNP britain marching all ethnic minorities into the Thames)

The people who will believe they are doing something about all this are in actuality, setting up the reasons for the governments reaction.

The UK does need a fair party to come along without any controversial agenda's but that will never happen as we are all distracted with our own mess while the governments playing with its own poo recycling monetary system.

Keep your eye on the MSM rioting fear reports, growing attacks on political parties that oppose government, unemployment focus and new laws. They need you to think that you need a national ID card and you need to accept the EU.
They will make the riots happen through instigating, unemployment happen through monetary policy and British citizens will beg for the ID and EU because Britain reacted.

I am not a BNP member or a member of any other party for that reason.

Just my 2 pence.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

The BNP flourish because there's little if any Conservative organisation in some working class constituencies & the Tory leadership comes over as aloof, a bit snotty, toffee nosed. The Tories seem so desperate to win the middle ground they've left some of their natural support behind ... only place left for them is the BNP.

Local council elections are one thing. But come the next general election I'd expect most BNP support to go to the Tories.

I can't see an analogy with post WWI Germany.

What's the "onetruesaxon" thing about ?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I don't think Great Britain is anywhere near the financial situation of Germany at that time. When I start to see million pound notes in circulation, then I may change my opinion.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Niall197

What's the "onetruesaxon" thing about ?

just a clothing brand I like lol

Just to clear things up I'm not a bnp supporter, just looked at my name and the topic I'd raised and guess it might of come off that way

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Give it a few months.

Only time will tell with all the bailouts

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
i want to become a member of the British national party, I would be a political candidate for the British national party, i don't agree with the older end of the members who are racist such as nick griffin however, I do believe the younger ones who join are not racist such as my self.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
I don't think Great Britain is anywhere near the financial situation of Germany at that time. When I start to see million pound notes in circulation, then I may change my opinion.

It's not just the financial losses that were an issue either. Germany took horrific civilian/non-combatant losses during WWI. It's one thing to be demoralised by the loss of soldiers but when it gets to losing people that you know dying, people who weren't directly involved in the war, that hits on another emotional level entirely.

Germany was desperate in a way that I can't see Britain getting unless there's complete economic and political collapse. I believe it will definitely get very bad here, worse than in anyone's lifetime, but not on a par with post-WWI Germany.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by deathpoet69
i want to become a member of the British national party, I would be a political candidate for the British national party, i don't agree with the older end of the members who are racist such as nick griffin however, I do believe the younger ones who join are not racist such as my self.

I think interest in the BNP will undoubtedly swell in the future, however, I don't think they'll reach any kind of critical mass where the support would ever be really large enough to sustain any split or fracturing of that particular platform. Younger members going to the party - particularly if they are late-teens and early 20s - will actually cause as many problems for the BNP as they'd be contributing to any kind of support.

I think the more 'extreme' nature of some of the beliefs of older BNP members are too out of step with the experience and culture of young people growing up in urban environments.

new topics

top topics

join